Paint recommendation for Optoma HD25e (light cannon) projector. - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 69 Old 11-07-13, 03:06 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Paint recommendation for Optoma HD25e (light cannon) projector.

Quote:
clark17 wrote: View Post
Hey Guys….

Samples to Mech and Harpmaker were send.

Overall the “VEIL” tint is pretty good. However due to my bright projector I might go for something tad darker (more N7-ish).

My roll job unfortunately look like it was sloppy or perhaps Valspar Signature is harder paint to roll than my previous rolling experience with BW mixture using Valspar Ultra premium flat enamel.
I can clearly see some rolling lines and some spots. I did 2 coats, 7 hours apart and I used ¼ roller.

Since Vlaspar Ultra premium is not available anymore, and I’m too happy with Valspar Signature how it rolled (or I should blame my poor rolling skills)… Should I try Valspar Ultra in flat, (since there is no “super flat”) ???

The roller marks/spots look bad during bright scenes and I have to fix it…

Any advice / help would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance.
If you want to try Valspar Ultra it should be available in a suitable finish to match Valspar Signature in matte. The Valspar site says Super Flat Enamel is available in Valspar Ultra, but the Lowe's site still has it listed as Flat Enamel finish. You may have to check with more than one Lowe's if you have more than one available to you.

Valspar Ultra™ Interior Super Flat Enamel No. 391024 – Ultra White/Base A

Valspar Ultra 32-fl oz Interior Flat Enamel Tintable Paint and Primer in One Item #: 391019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 Old 11-07-13, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

Don,

I will try to see what other local Lowe's stores have in stock.

Thanks for the info
post #23 of 69 Old 11-08-13, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

Don,

I checked with 3 local Lowe stores and they only have Valspar Ultra in flat... no super flat nor flat enamel.
I'm plannig to use your N7 sample and color match it. But I'm not sure if I should go for Valspar Ultra in flat or again Valspar Signature Matte (which didn't roll well for me)?

What is the difference between this Valspar Signature and this Valspar Signature (the one I used)? Should I bougth the first one?

Please advise...
TIA

p.s.
My last resort would be to go south of the border to US Lowes. But it is a long drive and with kids busy in sports, I don't have time.

Last edited by clark17; 11-08-13 at 09:11 AM.

post #24 of 69 Old 11-08-13, 11:44 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
clark17 wrote: View Post
Don,

I checked with 3 local Lowe stores and they only have Valspar Ultra in flat... no super flat nor flat enamel.
I'm plannig to use your N7 sample and color match it. But I'm not sure if I should go for Valspar Ultra in flat or again Valspar Signature Matte (which didn't roll well for me)?

What is the difference between this Valspar Signature and this Valspar Signature (the one I used)? Should I bougth the first one?

Please advise...
TIA

p.s.
My last resort would be to go south of the border to US Lowes. But it is a long drive and with kids busy in sports, I don't have time.
The only difference I can see from the product you used and the product in the first link is one of age. The link for what you used IS the same paint, but is after Valspar changed the base system from the old numeric (1, 2 and 4) to the newer A, B and C.

BTW, I checked on the CA Lowe's site and they do not list Super Flat or Flat Enamel in the Valspar Ultra paint. I can only assume the reason is that your store is in Canada. Your best bet now would be to go with the FLAT finish in Ultra if you want to try that paint since Eggshell might have too high a gloss in an N7.

Did the Valspar Signature seem to be too thick so that roller marks showed up? If so you could add some water to thin the paint and try again. But first you may need to sand down your roller marks or they still might show even when using a different paint.
post #25 of 69 Old 11-08-13, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
The only difference I can see from the product you used and the product in the first link is one of age. The link for what you used IS the same paint, but is after Valspar changed the base system from the old numeric (1, 2 and 4) to the newer A, B and C.

BTW, I checked on the CA Lowe's site and they do not list Super Flat or Flat Enamel in the Valspar Ultra paint. I can only assume the reason is that your store is in Canada. Your best bet now would be to go with the FLAT finish in Ultra if you want to try that paint since Eggshell might have too high a gloss in an N7.

Did the Valspar Signature seem to be too thick so that roller marks showed up? If so you could add some water to thin the paint and try again. But first you may need to sand down your roller marks or they still might show even when using a different paint.
Don,

Thanks for a prompt reply. I will try Ultra in flat matching your N7 sample. I will mail You and Mech samples again

I haven't notice anything unusual about the thickness of the signature paint i've used. I will inspect walls for roller marks and I will sand them down if necessary.

Cheers,
Martin
post #26 of 69 Old 11-12-13, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

Don and Co,

Just a quick update. Based on Don's feedback/comments I went again with Valspar Signature paint again (a gallon this time LOL) and I did match N7 tint sample Harpmaker has sent me. I did like he said, sand it down a little the screen and did 2 full coats using 3/8 nap roller. The screen was about 98% perfect, however stupid me notice 2% (drywall imprefections) and tried to patch it... After patching there more imperfections ... So I did quick 3rd coat and I think pressed the roller to hard this time causing more problems... sigh

So now I have to start from scratch, I will try to get 1/4 nap roller again maybe next weekend. Also like Harpmaker said the paint is thick and maybe like he recommended I should be probably add some water to it... Can someone tell me how do I do that? I guess I would need a seperate can?

BTW... the N7 tinted screen looks AWESOME on my bright projector .... I will sent samples to Mech and Harpmaker tomorrow for measurements..

Thanks Don and others for non-stop help....

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post

post #27 of 69 Old 11-13-13, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Martin,

Here are the results from the Veil sample you sent me:

RGB 185 187 189
xyY 0.310 0.327 49.6
CIE Lab 75.8 -0.32 -1.07
Thank you :-) Are these good readings? What N value was the sample measured at?

Valspar signature Matte N7 based on Harpmaker's N7 sample he sent were mailed out to you and Harpmaker today.

post #28 of 69 Old 11-16-13, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
It would be ~N7.5. It has a slight blue push but it probably wouldn't be detected by eye. The deltaE from a N7.5 is roughly 1.5. Anything less than 3 is accepted as non-discernible to the naked eye.

So I would say it would be fine for use... but you went darker!
Thank you for the breakdown

Yes I went with tad darker paint (Thanks to Don for sanding me sample) and I'm quiet happy with it. Not the best rolling job, but it will do it for now. Since I bought a gallon of it, I will repaint it again. However I will have to sand it down a bit. It is funny how the paint build up is visible when watching bright scenes.

Please post your results with some explanation if possible when you get my sample
post #29 of 69 Old 12-06-13, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

I just want to say thank you Don 'Harpmaker' for N7 sample and Steve 'Mechman' for measuring my color samples. The paint is AWESOME with my HD25e and I cound't be happier. I posted the label form the paint from local Lowe's. I totally recommend N7 Natural Grey tint paint for bright projector such as Optoma HD25e...

Thanks Guys again....

post #30 of 69 Old 12-06-13, 02:50 PM
HTS Moderator

Clark,

these ones are for you!!

HD25, 100 hours on the lamp, on a 106'' screen:

Reference mode:

BC = 7 (default value)

High lamp = 435 lux (1305 lumens)
Low lamp = 349 lux (1047 lumens)

Cinema mode:

BC = 10 (default value)

High lamp = 501 lux (1503 lumens)
Low lamp = 395 lux (1185 lumens)

Photo mode:

BC = 10 (default value)

High lamp = 445 lux (1335 lumens)
Low lamp = 333 lux (999 lumens)

Bright mode:

BC = 10 (default value)

High lamp = 513 lux (1539 lumens)
Low lamp = 381 lux (1143 lumens)

Enjoy your light canon and your new screen!!!