Paint recommendation for Optoma HD25e (light cannon) projector. - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 69 Old 12-06-13, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

Re: Paint recommendation for Optoma HD25e (light cannon) projector.

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Martin's current screen paint:

RGB 165 166 165
xyY 0.313 0.330 37.8
CIE Lab 67.9 -0.22 0.34

Very nice and very neutral!!
Thank you for measuring ... and Yiannis1970 for lumens figures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 Old 03-19-14, 04:12 PM
Shackster

Hi 'Harpmaker' / 'Mechman'

Sorry to resurrect an old thread guys, quick question for you guys, if i wanted to replicate the n7 mix that clark17 used, can i walk into Lowe's and show them these numbers: RGB 165 166 165 /// xyY 0.313 0.330 37.8 /// CIE Lab 67.9 -0.22 0.34
and have them match it based on those numbers?

im currently using (and enjoying very much) a 4:1 black widow of 00NN 53/000 . . . "Veil" [N7.8] with the new AAA but i wanted to go a little darker. Afraid that Granite Gray might be a little too dark, and Dover not dark enough I think this might be a good middle ground.

Any input greatly appreciated.
post #33 of 69 Old 03-20-14, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

I'm sorry to jump in...

I would print the paint label I posted and go with it to my local Lowe's.

BTW... The paint darkness is really good for my setup.

Quote:
bighernan wrote: View Post

Sorry to resurrect an old thread guys, quick question for you guys, if i wanted to replicate the n7 mix that clark17 used, can i walk into Lowe's and show them these numbers: RGB 165 166 165 /// xyY 0.313 0.330 37.8 /// CIE Lab 67.9 -0.22 0.34

im currently using (and enjoying very much) a 4:1 black widow of 00NN 53/000 . . . "Veil" [N7.8] with the new AAA but i wanted to go a little darker. Afraid that Granite Gray might be a little too dark, and Dover not dark enough I think this might be a good middle ground.

post #34 of 69 Old 03-20-14, 04:47 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:

Sadly, the people at paint stores, or in paint departments, wouldn't know what those numbers meant. They might have heard about RGB colors, but their coloring machines won't take those and make a paint to match the RGB data.

Clark17 is correct in recommending you take that info from his can of paint to match that color. He got a gallon of paint (Valspar Signature interior in Matte finish and using Base B) and it was tinted with the following formula (the number on the left designates the color of the tint and the numbers after the "-" designate the amount of tint):
101 - 1Y 3.5
105 - 2Y 40.5
113 - 4Y
217 - 2

If you only want a quart of paint then the tint formula would be:
1 Quart of Valspar Signature interior paint
Matte finish
Base B

101 - 12.875
105 - 34.125
113 - 1Y
217 - 0.5

These values are the ones to make a gallon divided by 4.
post #35 of 69 Old 03-24-14, 05:48 PM
Shackster

Thank you clark17 and Harpmaker. i redid my screen this past weekend and am BLOWN away with the improvement it has over the lighter black widow (n8 i think). Not only has daytime viewing improved, but once the lights go out this screen is crazy good. the black levels are plasma like and the color and pop on the image (once calibrated) are dramatically better. i cant believe i ever lived without it! Its all made possible thanks to the extra lumens to drive a darker screen - the optoma hd25lv is a light canon.

i did a slightly modified black widow, however, instead of 2 bottles of AAA (8 ounces total), i added half of a third bottle of the AAA (2 ounces more) to the paint, I also got the paint in valspars eggshell equivalent (semi matte) for more gain for daytime viewing. Not sure if those two things are making much of a difference. I dont get any hotspotting whatsoever either.

Thanks again fellas!

-bighernan
post #36 of 69 Old 03-24-14, 09:58 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Thank you clark17 and Harpmaker. i redid my screen this past weekend and am BLOWN away with the improvement it has over the lighter black widow (n8 i think). Not only has daytime viewing improved, but once the lights go out this screen is crazy good. the black levels are plasma like and the color and pop on the image (once calibrated) are dramatically better. i cant believe i ever lived without it! Its all made possible thanks to the extra lumens to drive a darker screen - the optoma hd25lv is a light canon.
Yep, as your lumens increase your screen can be made a darker gray and look awesome!

Quote:
i did a slightly modified black widow, however, instead of 2 bottles of AAA (8 ounces total), i added half of a third bottle of the AAA (2 ounces more) to the paint, I also got the paint in valspars eggshell equivalent (semi matte) for more gain for daytime viewing. Not sure if those two things are making much of a difference. I dont get any hotspotting whatsoever either.
The additional AAA-F would have increased the gain a little. but not as much as using an eggshell finish paint instead of matte. Glad it worked for you!

Something that confuses me a bit is that you say you used a Valspar paint in semi-matte finish that is the equivalent of an eggshell finish. The paint that we are now recommending for most of our mixes is Valspar Signature interior from Lowe's and that paint comes in an eggshell finish not a semi-matte. Are you getting your Valspar paint from another store?

Quote:
Thanks again fellas!

-bighernan
Glad to help!
post #37 of 69 Old 03-24-14, 10:51 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Yep, as your lumens increase your screen can be made a darker gray and look awesome!

The additional AAA-F would have increased the gain a little. but not as much as using an eggshell finish paint instead of matte. Glad it worked for you!

Something that confuses me a bit is that you say you used a Valspar paint in semi-matte finish that is the equivalent of an eggshell finish. The paint that we are now recommending for most of our mixes is Valspar Signature interior from Lowe's and that paint comes in an eggshell finish not a semi-matte. Are you getting your Valspar paint from another store?

Glad to help!
[EDIT: I just noticed the top of the paint can says eggshell. hello hometheatershack, my name is bighernan, and i am an idiot... sorry for the confusion]

Hi Harpmaker,

I got my paint at a Lowes here in Los Angeles, CA. I asked for a quart of Valspar Signature in eggshell finish, i noticed he inputted semi matte into his computer. Just to be sure, though, I just went ahead and grabbed the empty paint can from my trash bin and took a photo for your reference. It indeed says Semi Matte. Sorry for the bad photos.

Last edited by bighernan; 03-24-14 at 10:57 PM. Reason: im an idiot
post #38 of 69 Old 03-25-14, 09:34 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
[EDIT: I just noticed the top of the paint can says eggshell. hello hometheatershack, my name is bighernan, and i am an idiot... sorry for the confusion]

Hi Harpmaker,

I got my paint at a Lowes here in Los Angeles, CA. I asked for a quart of Valspar Signature in eggshell finish, i noticed he inputted semi matte into his computer. Just to be sure, though, I just went ahead and grabbed the empty paint can from my trash bin and took a photo for your reference. It indeed says Semi Matte. Sorry for the bad photos.
You're not an idiot at all bighernan, the onus is on Valspar for this bit of confusion. Thanks for bothering to photograph the empty can to clear things up! Something I find funny in a way is that instead of printing "semi-matt" or "semi-matte" on the bottom of the label they use "semi-mate".
post #39 of 69 Old 03-31-14, 07:09 AM
Senior Shackster
stephen

Hi guys!!............uk member needs help?

I have read most of the discussions about BWus BWuk BWeu plus the heated debates! but I'm still unsure which shade of gray and how dark I can and should go?

My screen is a cheap 106" beamax 1.1 white screen M/pull down so no problem about painting it and I will be washing it down first with panel wipe and using dulux super grip primer first..........................I am then thinking of using either dulux "grey steel 1" with the AAA-F at 4to1 but I would like to know if you think this mybe to dark after now telling you what my pj and room conditions are? like

dulux grey steel 1 and 2 here.......BUT SHOULD I GO DARKER?
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...uUFOS_u6vjM77g

My room is 13' x 12' and the walls and ceiling are all matt white with my optoma hd25e is mounted to the ceiling directly overhead to the mlp and 12' away from the screen with the lens 6" above the top of the viewing screen! When I bought the screen from a avforums member (cheap) I didn't realise it was a 1.1 and in my living room I have described above it lights up the room like a xmas tree and is very bright and that's still after calibration and on the eco setting............And now I want to know how dark a grey I can go in this type of room with lots of ambient light especially during the day?

Many Regards,

Steve.
post #40 of 69 Old 03-31-14, 09:47 PM
Senior Shackster
stephen

(((((((Cheers Mech)))))) for your speedy reply!! What about me also using eggshell along with the AAA-f or would you think I wouldn't need to use eggshell.....................Plus do you think I could go even darker than grey steel 1 , what would be the worse case scenario a too dark an image/pale whites.

A friend of mine is at the minute building a dedicated cinema room although not so big it will be nice and dark and using the same pj on a 92" screen......................he's also building his own screen so what would the best base colour for him to go for , would it be something like a dulux white vinyl matt emulsion along with the 4/1 AAA-f additive.

P.S MR HARPER!! but which dulux product is the equivalent to the Valspar Signature paints thanks?

Regards,
Steve.

Last edited by mojogoes; 03-31-14 at 10:16 PM.