Paint recommendation for Optoma HD25e (light cannon) projector. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 69 Old 10-10-13, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

Question Paint recommendation for Optoma HD25e (light cannon) projector.

Hi Guys,

Mechman/wbassett/Harpmaker !!!

It has been a while…

Finally after almost 4 years of using happly Optoma HD65 (1600 lumens) on BW 110” screen I pulled the trigger on a new projector Optoma HD25e (1080P/3D). Overall HD25e is very good projector, quiet, nice resolution, bright, nice 2d and surprising good 3d. The only problem (I’m might be too picky) it suffers from soft/blury/out-of-focus corners upper-left and lower-right. (it seems to be optic lens related, and Optoma is aware of it). It is only visible when using HTPCs’ win7 desktop, during movies/games you cannot see it.

After using your excellent BW paint (n8 and original) for almost 4 years now with HD65. I think it might be a time to change it to something less reflective?, to tone down brightness and help blacks.

According to specs HD25e outputs 2800 lumens (I’m sure it is a marketing schema LOL), but it is much, much brighter than HD65 projector.
It almost feels like having a light canon comparing to HD65.

I’m throwing from 13’ onto 110” DIY (4” frame wrapped in black velvet). Please see my old setup (few things changed since than, new speakers and treadmill and no more CRT tv LOL). The wall colors are the same, and ceiling is still white (never got WAF to paint it with a darker color).

With the current setup I find the picture tad too bright in 2D for my likings, there is less problem in 3D with help from shaded 3D glasses.

Do you guys think BW is still best DIY paint for my setup or should I try something else to tone down the brightness and bring out better blacks?

Is Glidden Veil in a flat base (quart) a way to go?

Please do not forget I cannot spray-paint (no tools or skill for it ). Easy to roll paint would be my preference. I should have access to all common paint stores where I live (Ottawa, Canada).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 10-10-13, 07:02 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Paint recommendation for Optoma HD25e (light cannon) projector.

Glad to see you back!!!

If you are using the original N7.5 BW™ then going with a flat finish paint color-matched to Glidden 'Veil' would drop the brightness of your image a bit. To go darker yet get a flat finish paint color-matched to Glidden 'Dover Grey' with is about N7.
post #3 of 69 Old 10-10-13, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Glad to see you back!!!

If you are using the original N7.5 BW™ then going with a flat finish paint color-matched to Glidden 'Veil' would drop the brightness of your image a bit. To go darker yet get a flat finish paint color-matched to Glidden 'Dover Grey' with is about N7.
Thank you so much....

Yes I was using N7.5 BW, excellent paint but with the new projector I find it a tad too bright. However it served me well for the last 4 years. I'm leaning toward 'Dover Grey' N7, do you think it would be good ok for 3D? I have fully light controlled basement and I watch TV mostly at night.

How many coats do I need to cover well BW? what roller should I use (1/4 inch roller?)? and how long should I wait between coats? Would a quart do it?

So when I go to local Canadian Lowe's I should ask for Valspar Ultra Premium Latex enamel (is this correct?) tinted Dover Grey from the Glidden Master Palette?

I'm sorry for for all this questions but is has been a while...

Thanks...

post #4 of 69 Old 10-10-13, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

Which one should I buy?

Valspar Ultra Interior Base (flat)

~ or ~

Valspar Signature Colors Interior (matte)

Harpmaker you said somewhere you would go with the Signature series now?

thank you
post #5 of 69 Old 10-11-13, 03:35 AM
HTS Moderator

Hello clark17!!

Planning doing a calibration on a 25 tonight. If you like, i can upload the data for luminosity. However, you can start lowering the B.C. value (put it to 0 if possible). The B.C. on Optoma works somehow like a manual iris and i liked that a lot.
post #6 of 69 Old 10-11-13, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

Quote:
Yiannis1970 wrote: View Post
Hello clark17!!

Planning doing a calibration on a 25 tonight. If you like, i can upload the data for luminosity. However, you can start lowering the B.C. value (put it to 0 if possible). The B.C. on Optoma works somehow like a manual iris and i liked that a lot.
That would be great...

I'm currently using following settings from HD25 posted from another forums (someone calibrated it). Keep in mind I'm using HD25e with more efficiant bulb.

Brightness: 0 <-- to help high brightness I have it at -1, if I go lower I lose shadow detail
Contrast: -3 <-- i did bump this to -1/0
Sharpness: 9
Colour: 0
Tint: 0
Advanced

ECO lamp mode
brilliant color off <-- HD25e does not have off but 1 is the lowest, mabye 1 means it is off
Film gamma
dynamic black off
Noise Reduction off <-- Projector is quiet enough that I can manage low or high setting, however the difference IMHO is not worth it.
Colour Temperature Warm

white (grayscale):
Red: 1, Green: - 4, Blue: - 11

CMS (in order hue, saturation, brightness):

RED: 6, 0, 16
GREEN: 12, 1 - 3
BLUE: 17, 50 - 20
CYAN: 27, 16, 4
YELLOW - 16, -5, 5
MAGENTA: 27, 16, 4

The color temperature is now reduced to 6508K and a deltaE gap reduced to 0.6

hope my settings are correct here.

If anyone can help me to tell me what valspar type of paint to buy i would really apprciate.

I'm leaning toward "Dover Grey" tint. However I don't want 3D to suffer to much from having darker screen. Maybe switching to N7.5 paint without any refective particles (aka BW paint) would be good enough...hmmm... I guess I can always repaint it...

Thank you
post #7 of 69 Old 10-11-13, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

One thing I'm confused about is reading of Image brigntness (fL) using projector calculator.

Throwing from 13' ceilling mount onto 110" screen

My old Optoma HD65 1600 lumens - it says 43fL
Optoma HD25-LV 3200 lumens - it says 40fL
My new Optoma HD25e 2800 lumens - it says 35fL

Is my old HD65 brighter than new Hd25e... hmmm
post #8 of 69 Old 10-11-13, 02:58 PM
HTS Moderator

Nope...don't give too much credit on online calculators. It's a good place to start, but that's all. I 'll take some readings too for 3D using the glasses (if there are available) to see how much light is lost.
post #9 of 69 Old 10-11-13, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Martin

Quote:
Yiannis1970 wrote: View Post
Nope...don't give too much credit on online calculators. It's a good place to start, but that's all. I 'll take some readings too for 3D using the glasses (if there are available) to see how much light is lost.
That would be great.

Which Optoma hd25 flavor do you have?

Can anyone please suggest which flat paint tinted to "Dover Grey" to get?

thx
post #10 of 69 Old 10-12-13, 05:49 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
clark17 wrote: View Post
Which one should I buy?

Valspar Ultra Interior Base (flat)

~ or ~

Valspar Signature Colors Interior (matte)

Harpmaker you said somewhere you would go with the Signature series now?

thank you
If you can get Valspar Ultra in "Super Flat" finish then use that as it is the exact same gloss as the older Valspar Ultra Premium flat enamel; but if you can't then get the Valspar Signature in matte finish.

Yes, we are going more with Valspar Signature paints because Valspar was doing crazy things "upgrading" the Valspar Ultra Premium line. Different stores still have different type of paint from that upgrade. Also, people that roll their paint seem to prefer the way Signature goes on.