Black Widow Ultra suggestions/help - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 12 Old 03-06-14, 01:17 PM
Shackster

Re: Black Widow Ultra suggestions/help

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
The new AAA-F will still change the color of a base paint, but it is WAY less than the old AAA-F.
Thanks for the info, but this has to scare us right ? Didn't the old BW have a spot on color balance when you blended BB and AAA ?

I right now have a Universal Gray screen, but crave darker blacks. my Samsung A800 has a new bulb waiting to go in.
So you're suggesting go for the new BW, and step down to the darker Veil ?....or step even darker to Dover or Granite ?

Not sure what Base to use with the new AAA-F, which I already ordered.

00NN 37/000 . . . "Granite Gray" [N6.7] - 162 162 161 - 66.62 -0.02 -0.28
00NN 45/000 . . . "Dover Grey" [N7.3] - 175 176 175 - 71.73 -0.04 -0.28
00NN 53/000 . . . "Veil" [N7.8] - 190 190 189 - 76.99 -0.02 -0.11
00NN 62/000 . . . "Universal Gray" [N8.3] - 206 206 205 - 82.83 -0.21 -0.37
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 Old 03-06-14, 05:13 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Black Widow Ultra suggestions/help

Quote:
Plasma George wrote: View Post
Thanks for the info, but this has to scare us right ? Didn't the old BW have a spot on color balance when you blended BB and AAA ?
Stick with me while I explain my answer to this which is "No, it doesn't scare us" and "Yes, if you got the same BB color as Mech the mix would be VERY color-neutral. It doesn't scare us because we can now make BWU mixes that use base paints from pure white down to who knows how dark; I made a few small samples using a N5 paint and the results look promising! The problem with using a "paint name" such as PPG 'Bermuda Beige' is that sometimes the paint the store gives you can be quite far from the paint color that was used to color-balance the mix. House paints just don't have the color control to make sure ALL cans of paint are exactly the same color. That is the reason we try to get the base color that makes the most color-neutral mix, think of it as a "fudge factor" that lets a base work even if it is off-color a bit from where it should be.

Quote:
I right now have a Universal Gray screen, but crave darker blacks. my Samsung A800 has a new bulb waiting to go in.
So you're suggesting go for the new BW, and step down to the darker Veil ?....or step even darker to Dover or Granite ?

Not sure what Base to use with the new AAA-F, which I already ordered.

00NN 37/000 . . . "Granite Gray" [N6.7] - 162 162 161 - 66.62 -0.02 -0.28
00NN 45/000 . . . "Dover Grey" [N7.3] - 175 176 175 - 71.73 -0.04 -0.28
00NN 53/000 . . . "Veil" [N7.8] - 190 190 189 - 76.99 -0.02 -0.11
00NN 62/000 . . . "Universal Gray" [N8.3] - 206 206 205 - 82.83 -0.21 -0.37
To get darker blacks you would have to go with a darker gray base than 'Universal Gray'. If you would use 'Veil' as the base with the new AAA-F you would get a paint the same color as the original BW.

As for how adding new AAA-F to other gray base paints affects the final mix, this is something we need to do, but Mech and I have both had other things to do. Mech has just been busy with things that life has thrown at him and I have had family health issues to deal with. In our limited testing so far we have found that adding new AAA-F to any neutral gray paint in the standard 4:1 ratio (4 parts base paint to 1 part AAA-F) will produce a color that does meet our neutrality standards (which means the color is more neutral than most gray commercial screens or paint mixes).