Screen Frame/Border fabric - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 12 Old 01-10-14, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Screen Frame/Border fabric

Just wondering... has anyone here used the self-adhesive black fabric from AVOutlet.com ?

http://www.avoutlet.com/index.php?di...roduct_id=4527

If so, what are your impressions of this product... regarding its ability to absorb light spill as well the quality of the glue.

Thanks in advance,
Ravi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-12-14, 03:20 AM

Ron

My System
Re: Screen Frame/Border fabric

Never tried it... Let us know how it is when you get it.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #3 of 12 Old 01-13-14, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I suppose I will.. :-), for this fabric, or whatever else I end up with.
That would still be a few weeks away though... Lots of things going on at the moment...

This is where I currently stand....

Regards,
Ravi
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Frame/Border fabric-20140111_133301.jpg  

post #4 of 12 Old 01-13-14, 06:32 PM

Ron

My System

Is your screen material behind the frame or in front? If it is in front your walls might be dark enough to where you could run borderless... Worth a try to see how it works out.

Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #5 of 12 Old 01-14-14, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Behind.

I'm painting directly on the drywall. What you see in the pic is one coat of BW (new formula : Glidden Veil + AAAF) already applied. I do realize that with the rest of the wall being super-dark brown, I can get by without a border, but I'd like to build and hang a frame around it just to give it a more finished/professional look... :-).

The room is 30' feet long, and on the other end (behind the camera's POV), I plan to put a pool table, so the media room would be moonlighting as a game-room as well, so needs to look good with the projector turned off as well... :-)

Regards,
Ravi

PS : I see that in the picture, the screen edges look a bit curved inwards in the middle (specially the bottom edge), as well as not equal (wider at top, narrow at bottom). They're not, I just probably need to learn how to place a camera better... LOL. All sides are straight and opposite sides are within 1/8th of an inch of each other :-), acceptable enough for me for a 10 ft wide screen, I have done worse... lol

Last edited by travi_74; 01-14-14 at 11:26 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-14-14, 05:19 PM

Ron

My System

I remember watching a home improvement show where they painted the screen on the wall, and then made a shadow box around it. Then they installed a motorized screen. The screen had been custom printed on to look like a piece of art! It looked awesome IMO.

post #7 of 12 Old 01-16-14, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Sounds interesting, though I am sure my DIY expertise (or lack thereof) would certainly preclude such an undertaking for me... :-p

I would sure love to at least have a look at it though, if you got a link or something for it..

Regards,
Ravi
post #8 of 12 Old 01-16-14, 06:47 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
travi_74 wrote: View Post
Sounds interesting, though I am sure my DIY expertise (or lack thereof) would certainly preclude such an undertaking for me... :-p

I would sure love to at least have a look at it though, if you got a link or something for it..

Regards,
Ravi
It was on the Antonio Ballatore show on HGTV a while back... I sent them an email to see if I can get any more info on it. I think this is a picture of it with the artwork down.

post #9 of 12 Old 02-20-14, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

So, I finally ordered the material and received it last week. Bought by the yard (3yds) to make sure it could cover my longest piece.

Seemed like a good enough material, not velvet, of course, but not like felt paper either. Somewhere in between, you could say. Seemed almost exactly like the material I have on the frame of my current 3yr old sreen (a no-frills 102" whitescreen from Visual Apex), and that was good enough.

About 16th of an inch thick after removing the backing (no, didnt measure it, lol, thats a visual approximation)
Cuts easily, sticks well, though not so hard that you cant pull it out. I would not be concerned about it coming off with about an inch wrapping around to the underside.

A bit tricky though, initially, to get it pasted perfectly without any ripples or creases... but it's no rocket science. Just be careful and you'd be good.

The frame pieces look good, and I'm happy with the results. As for cost effectiveness, that's for everyone to decide on their own. 3 yards + shipping cost me about $38, which is not much, but if you put in the context of a DIY screen... that ($38) is more than what it would cost you to paint the full 140" screen... :-)
(Of course, I didnt look at it as doubling the cost of my screen... but rather as just adding .1% to the cost of my basement finish, which my new media room is a part of, so cost wasn't a factor)

Regards,
Ravi
post #10 of 12 Old 02-20-14, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Images...
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Frame/Border fabric-20140214_181142.jpg  

Screen Frame/Border fabric-20140214_183458.jpg  

Screen Frame/Border fabric-20140214_210643.jpg