DIY A/T portable screen - Possible? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 02-10-14, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
A/V
Shackster

Question DIY A/T portable screen - Possible?

Hey guys,
So now that my sound gear is sorted, I am getting together a home theatre projection setup for our living area. WAF is the biggest thing as she doesn't want a fixed screen anywhere in the lounge during daily living. Space is limited. So what I am trying to come up with is a solution for a DIY acoustically transparent 110" 16:9 screen that I can put up on movie nights.

I am planning on a BenQ W1080ST projector mounted (hidden) under the coffee table top.
Some rough sketches:

I have been keen on trying the Spandex method. But the biggest thing is that to be properly portable, it can't really be a fixed frame as it is difficult to put away in our small house.

I considered a 'folding' fixed frame screen where it folds with hinges in the middle of the frame (top and bottom), but I think that might cause a crease over time?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by A/V; 02-10-14 at 08:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-10-14, 12:29 PM
Senior Shackster
Bud

My System
Re: DIY A/T portable screen - Possible?

I think it would eventually cause a crease. I built an at from spandex from spandex world about 6 mo ago for my brothers house and it looks fantastic. Portability may be an issue with how you plan to hang the screen. We used french cleats so they stay on the wall not sure how to hang it without leaving the brackets on the wall. The screen would be light enough especially if you use tubing 1 1/2" or so
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-14, 12:58 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
A/V wrote: View Post
Hey guys,
So now that my sound gear is sorted, I am getting together a home theatre projection setup for our living area. WAF is the biggest thing as she doesn't want a fixed screen anywhere in the lounge during daily living. Space is limited. So what I am trying to come up with is a solution for a DIY acoustically transparent 110" 16:9 screen that I can put up on movie nights.

I am planning on a BenQ W1080ST projector mounted (hidden) under the coffee table top.
Some rough sketches:

I have been keen on trying the Spandex method. But the biggest thing is that to be properly portable, it can't really be a fixed frame as it is difficult to put away in our small house.

I considered a 'folding' fixed frame screen where it folds with hinges in the middle of the frame (top and bottom), but I think that might cause a crease over time?

Any suggestions?
You could probably make a "frame" out of PVC pipe that is NOT glued together so it can be taken apart when necessary. When not in use the screen would have to be carefully rolled to avoid creases. The screen would consist of two pieces , one of white Spandex and the other of black Spandex that are sowed together along the vertical axis thus making a HUGE "rubber band". This band would be slipped over two vertical PVC pipes and the pipes would then have a top and bottom piece applied to stretch the screen so everything is taut, but not too tightly. The bottom pipe section would then be placed in a holder on each end to give the required height above the floor.

I think someone here did something like this, but I can't find the thread.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-10-14, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
A/V
Shackster

Quote:
orion wrote: View Post
I think it would eventually cause a crease. I built an at from spandex from spandex world about 6 mo ago for my brothers house and it looks fantastic. Portability may be an issue with how you plan to hang the screen. We used french cleats so they stay on the wall not sure how to hang it without leaving the brackets on the wall. The screen would be light enough especially if you use tubing 1 1/2" or so
That's great that it looks the goods. I won't be hanging it on a wall as there are windows behind the screen as well. I think I'll need to end up making a self-standing screen. I just don't want to have to 'stretch' it every time I want to set it up.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-10-14, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
A/V
Shackster

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
You could probably make a "frame" out of PVC pipe that is NOT glued together so it can be taken apart when necessary. When not in use the screen would have to be carefully rolled to avoid creases. The screen would consist of two pieces , one of white Spandex and the other of black Spandex that are sowed together along the vertical axis thus making a HUGE "rubber band". This band would be slipped over two vertical PVC pipes and the pipes would then have a top and bottom piece applied to stretch the screen so everything is taut, but not too tightly. The bottom pipe section would then be placed in a holder on each end to give the required height above the floor.

I think someone here did something like this, but I can't find the thread.
Thanks for the reply. I have looked into this. Particularly the video CNET did. http://youtu.be/d-WWm8f3nyk

A couple of things I don't like about this setup is:
- It takes too much time to set up,
- it's full of crinkles and is basically un-stretched.
- no black border. I would like to have a black felt border.

If I went this way (PVC), I would put on a bottom pipe as you suggest and pull it down to tighten everything up. The other consideration is that I would need to be able to store the long PVC (approx 1.9m) somewhere as well. Although this is probably a minor consideration as I can store it standing up in the corner behind a door in my office or something.

I was thinking I could make a fixed timber frame that is hinged in the middle, (instead of PVC), and to store it, I could make the spandex in a similar way (like a big rubber band as you mentioned), being able to take it off the frame so that I can roll it up and store it separately, therefore avoiding creases. To set it up I would just put up the frame, throw the spandex over the top and pull it down. To make it taught, I could have some clips at close intervals along the bottom of the frame that the bottom of the spandex clips to. That way it is the same every time I set it up.

Or is this going to be just as much work as the PVC idea? I don't know!!