Black Widow and Benq w1070 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 3 Old 02-27-14, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Black Widow and Benq w1070

Hi,

After much searching for a definitive answer I will concede that I need to ask the question instead. I am converting a shipping container into an office that will also be a mini HT (in time for the World Cup) and I am lining the side walls with plywood but the end wall will be the screen for the projector and it will be 12mm mdf which I have bought already. i am just cutting it to size and will prime it on the back before fixing it to the wall. I have decided to use Black Widow for the screen paint and I intend to paint the whole end wall and the ceiling of the container the same colour as the Black Widow mix and then paint the area of the screen with the actual mix. The reason for painting the whole wall and the ceiling the same colour is really for simplicity as I will spray paint everything and the darker ceiling should help with the ambient light (as opposed to a white ceiling). I will be painting the other walls a mediumish blue colour in satin or matt finish (not sure exactly what yet but darker than the ceiling/BW) but being a narrow space the walls are not much further apart than the width of the screen.

I haven't bought it yet but after a lot of research have decided on a Benq w1070 projector, mainly for budget reasons but it sounds like a great unit for the money in any case. Now my dilemma: what shade of grey for the BW? Getting the AAA was easy - I bought it online from Airbrush Megastore. In Australia we don't have access to the Valspar flat enamel but after a lot of searching I have found (apparently the only one available in Aus) Resene Spacecote which is a flat water based enamel. Resene have a few nice neutral greys:

Eighth Stack RGB:192.193.191 LAB: 78 -0.71 0.88
Double Concrete RGB:197.197.195 LAB: 79 -0.37 1.00
Half Surrender RGB:202.204.204 LAB: 82 -0.69 -0.24
Quarter Surrender RGB: 214.216.216 LAB: 86 -0.68 -0.24

I've attached the colour swatches.

They have a really useful colour selector tool where you can enter in the desired RGB values or other values like LAB and it will show their colours that match as close as possible.

Now.... the screen will be 100" in size and the PJ will be at 3.1m which according to a calculator I found on the elite screens site will give around 25fl for the w1070. I did, however, read somewhere that this PJ can drop as low as 6fl when doing 3D but I can't find any definitive confirmation of this. From what I understand an N7.5 shade of grey would work for 2D but not so well for 3D so maybe N8 is better or even higher. It's a bit confusing as I have read in some reviews and other forum posts that this PJ is quite bright but other forum posts saying that this PJ is not bright enough for BW esp in 3D. So.... can I even use BW for this PJ or will it struggle in 3D with any shade of grey? I want to make the screen as dark as possible while still being useable in 3D so how dark can I go or should I just put the AAA into the white spacecote untinted?

thanks in advance for any advice.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-01-14, 08:11 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Black Widow and Benq w1070

Hello! Welcome to HTS!

3D mode is the killer here. The review I just read on the W1070 has it's darkest 2D mode listed as 880 lumens with the lamp in Eco mode; but it didn't give any numbers at all for 3D. In 2D mode you could even use darker base paint shades (like N7 or maybe even N6.5), but going by what you have found on 3D mode brightness you should use as light a paint as possible.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-04-14, 07:52 AM
Senior Shackster

Martin

Re: Black Widow and Benq w1070

I don't visit often enough this site

I curently own HD25e which from my understanding is close in Lumens to W1070 (I could be wrong) and I have no issues with N7 paint (thanks To Harpmaker sample) in 2D nor 3D. From my understanding optoma swithes to higher lumens in 3D and I get enough to produce nice (bright) 3D picture. I would suggest using well controlled room when watching 3D.