Trying Black Widow, for the umpteenth time - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 03-08-14, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Trying Black Widow, for the umpteenth time

Figured I get your attention.
The story is, we moved, and the nice India fellow that knew nothing about HT is now enjoying my own build Dedicated Theater, equipment, furniture and Black Widow screen. It was original white WilsonArt laminate, then grey, then BW about 5 times until I got the roller marks out. I eventually bought a new laminate, laid it flat on my basement floor, bought a 1/4" nap 18" roller and rolled it longways (only 3 passes). Laying it down allowed it to settle on itself perfectly. I learned, and carefully thought out the best method to get the most gorgeous BW screen, and it was.
SO, new bigger house, bigger basement, bigger screen.
I have my Samsung A800 projector setup in the basement. The builder (Toll), insulated the 9' basement walls with a white vapor barrier lined insulation. I figured moo baby moo, shine the PJ and see what happens. Awful, it is white glossy plastic so the picture was extremely blurry, so off to JoAnns for a huge white sheet and lots of black sheets to partition the "Unfiinished Theater", and border the screen....MUCH BETTER. Now watchable NFL Sundays, movie nights, (basically me every night) at 135" vs my old 100".
This was all supposed to be temporary, until I build my Dream Theater but after my wife changed careers for a better, healthier way of life, our income took a hit, so it may be a few years til we have funds to finish the basement/Theater. I painted the floors with Lowes dark gray garage floor paint, many area rugs area and a ventfree fireplace, so it's warm, and the kids love the open space to play, nice pool table over rugs in one area. I also tinted the large egress window on 4 other little windows and have light control with pull strings for kids play areas, it's a very fun area, we host parties, NFL playoff games w/ family, good times
The white sheet screen hanging in front of the white plastic barrier was bothering me, not the ultimate coming from BW blacks, so I got some Glidden Univeral Gray and figured I'm going to paint the white sheet. It was odd rolling and compressing the insulation behind the sheet, as the wet paint soaking through the sheet stuck to the screen so I wasn't sure what it would dy like..... but I figured it woud dry uniform and it did . It actually hardened the sheet so its somewhat rigid, and it looks good, many comment on how good the PQ is for so big.
This is where I'm a little nervous about the BW ultra, since the aluminum flakes won't be as as uniform as the Universal Gray. I already ordered AAA-F, and will get 1/4" nap 18" roller and do sideways passes screen.
I'm also open to what SHADE base ?
Harp already mentioned VEIL is the original BW shade, I'm debating stepping down one more notch to DOVER. I am shining a larger screen than before, as my PJ is sitting farther back so my lumens are down, but a new bulb is about to go in.
I will post results, if I can't get teh BW to go evenly, I'll go back to Universal Gray or maybe Dover.
Any thoughts, I'm all ears (eyes).

Last edited by Plasma George; 03-08-14 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-08-14, 06:23 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Trying Black Widow, for the umpteenth time

According to the review of this PJ at Projector Central you would only be getting ~10.5 fL with a new lamp. While some people (like Mech and I) could get by with such brightness on a BW screen (and assumedly a BWU), this lower level of image brightness would be too dim for some people. We are getting into the image brightness range that is very subjective.

If you have enough AAA-F to experiment a little before painting the whole screen, you could make up small test batches using different base shades and compare them to your current 'Universal Gray' screen.

The aluminum flakes in the new AAA-F shouldn't cause any uniformity problems, they will just not have as much sparkle to them. I learned from experience that additional sparkle does not mean more gain back when I was experimenting with the medium grade of AAA. After spraying a test panel and letting it dry to the touch I found that I could increase the sparkle of the panel by rubbing it with a nitrile-gloved hand. I compared two test panels side-by-side and found that while the rubbed panel showed more sparkles, even at my regular viewing distance of ~12 feet, there was NO additional gain.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-10-14, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Well, my AAA-F arrived and I think it's the old. (ArtSupply.com)
UPC = WDOB11-115BS(01)
4101 Aluminum Base Fine, two 4oz bottles.

I really thoought I was getting the new stuff and can customize the gray base, but I guess I can't....THIS IS THE OLD AAA-F, right ?
I need to goto Lowes for PPG Bermuda Beige, in the Valspar Flat.

I'm Ok with the base color of old BW, (I'm the biggest fan!!!!)....but I'm just nervous about the roller marks cause the painted/hardened sheet is my substrate, not exactly like laminate. You go in all sorts of direction like a flat gray.
I'll guess we'll see this weekend, I'll post results.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-11-14, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I believe that would be the new AAA PG. It has a 115 in front of the which is a higher number than 80. That's the way I would interpret it anyways.
Interesting, I was thinking it was "11", less than 80. I haven't been to Lowes so I can still go either way...Bermuda Beige or Veil.

My old BW theater screen was 110" from 14' away and I LOVED the performance...this new one is 136" from 20' away....and I like a dark screen in a dark room. Always dropping TV brightness where ever I go

Last edited by Plasma George; 03-11-14 at 03:32 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-14-14, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

OK, so I zoomed the screen down to 120", and I think I like it better than 136". It's a tad sharper, and brighter, and a little easier to watch with less moving the eyes around.

Question now is Veil or Dover ? I love black, but don't know if that's going to be too dark and the AAA won't have enough pop to bring up the whites.
Also, Flat or egg shell ?....I think I always used flat.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-15-14, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

http://www.gliddenprofessional.com/c...ctor?grid=true

Interesting, I'm finding all the Greys on this Glidden website, BUT NOT DOVER. I'm really thinking of dropping down one shade darker than Veil for my new BW screen. I'm running ECO mode, and 50% brightness and 50% tint, .....I prefer a dark screen, in a dark room.

What to do ?
post #7 of 9 Old 03-15-14, 01:49 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Plasma George wrote: View Post
http://www.gliddenprofessional.com/c...ctor?grid=true

Interesting, I'm finding all the Greys on this Glidden website, BUT NOT DOVER. I'm really thinking of dropping down one shade darker than Veil for my new BW screen. I'm running ECO mode, and 50% brightness and 50% tint, .....I prefer a dark screen, in a dark room.

What to do ?
My guess is that "Dover Grey" 00NN 45/000 was missed when they wrote that software and that color is still available at actual Glidden Professional stores. If you enter "NN" into the Notation field of that software you will see that all the other neutral Glidden color notations are there except the one for "Dover".
post #8 of 9 Old 03-19-14, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

So I decided I wanted darker, and would gamble with DOVER GREY with AAA, and WOW, it's the BEST Black Widow screen I've seen. WOW what blacks, and of course great contrast...plasma like.
And as always, great tolerance to ambient light, when the kids have other lights on, it's more watchable than my previous Universal Gray screen.

Maybe it's the darker DOVER, but it's harder to see the aluminum flakes when get up close to the screen versus my older BW screen, not sure why, but they are there....hope they're doing their job.

I also shrunk the screen down to 120", and did the border in a flat black to tie into the old flat black. This gives the PJ a bit more resolution and gain. Yeah, I did increase the brightness and contrast 5-10pts depending on what we're watching, but it's nice to "dial in" the PQ depending on movie, sitcom, live sports, etc....as each one is different.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-14, 04:18 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Plasma George wrote: View Post
So I decided I wanted darker, and would gamble with DOVER GREY with AAA, and WOW, it's the BEST Black Widow screen I've seen. WOW what blacks, and of course great contrast...plasma like.
And as always, great tolerance to ambient light, when the kids have other lights on, it's more watchable than my previous Universal Gray screen.
That's great news! Thanks for posting your results. Going with a darker base for a Black Widow Ultra screen will always improve black levels and contrast as long as your PJ has the lumens to use it.

Quote:
Maybe it's the darker DOVER, but it's harder to see the aluminum flakes when get up close to the screen versus my older BW screen, not sure why, but they are there....hope they're doing their job.
Others have noticed that the aluminum particles/flakes in the new AAA-F seem to be a bit smaller than the ones in the old version. While we haven't done any gain testing of the BWU mixes yet, the testing we have done seems to indicate that the new paint is working just fine in the gain department.