do-able sighting? Is this still one of the best options? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Is this do-able? Does do-able give better PQ than DW?
Yes this is do-able and yes it is better than DW 2 66.67%
Yes this is do-able but DW is better 0 0%
No, this is not do-able 0 0%
Not enough information 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 6 Old 03-10-14, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
do-able sighting? Is this still one of the best options?

I'm really getting the itch to add a projector to my setup. I really want to do a CIH setup. Turns out a 2.35:1 screen will give me the biggest image size in my space due to height constraints and at that it's limited to about 95" diagonal. That's ok though, my seating distance is only about 9 feet. The room is in the basement and can be completely dark when I want it to be but I prefer to have the window shades open during the day when watching sports, etc.

I started to do some research on screens. My budget is limited to <$500 for the screen. There seem to be good options out there commercially but of course DIY gives bigger bang for the buck and would give me more budget for a projector. I read up on Wilsonart DW and FG. Was leaning toward DW so I don't have to put a poly layer on. Then I read up on do-able.

From what I've read, I get the impression that do-able panel makes for a better screen than DW. Any opinions on this?

Most of the threads on do-able have been dead for some time and there are even some that suggest the panels are no longer available. I decided to check out the local HD here in Broomfield, CO and looky what I found. The SKU is the same as referenced in the do-able thread but it is preceded by 0000-. It is also a Boise Cascade product, who I've read bought out do-able/Closet Maid.

What do you think, same thing? The actual panel meets the descriptions I've read but I have no visual reference in person.

Any opinions on whether I should go for this over DW?
Attached Thumbnails
do-able sighting? Is this still one of the best options?-do-able-tag.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-10-14, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
Re: do-able sighting? Is this still one of the best options?

I should also mention painting the wall is not an option for me due to the placement of my IB subwoofer manifolds. The screen must be mounted 1-2 feet in front of the wall. Painting a substrate, however, is a viable option.

-V
post #3 of 6 Old 03-10-14, 11:38 AM
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer

Check http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...or-Screens.asp. Nice screens for the money. I have been satisfied with one of the fixed screen models. Actually there are great packages of projector/screen/mounting accessories at VisualApex for very reasonable prices. Worth a look to help with the prebuilt vs. DIY money equation for you.

-Brent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-10-14, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Thanks, B. Yes, I'm familiar with V/A and they are one of my top choices if I go commercial.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-11-14, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Do-able was always readily available on Colorado and a lot of other western states so I'd say that yes, it is D-able. The only thing wrong with Do-able was it's size. DW can be bought in 10 foot sheets.
Thanks Mech, there doesn't seem to be too much traffic over here...

We'll see if I can score the projector I want. If so, I'm going to give this solution a try. I figure at the very least I can live with it until I save up for a commercial screen.

Understood on the size limitation. The way I setup my room, I can "only" do an 80-inch 16:9 or a 98-inch 2.35:1 screen so I should be good to go. There is a height limitation which is one of the main reasons I'd like to implement a constant image height setup.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-12-14, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Cool. This project is going on hold now but it's good to know that the "hang and shoot" options are still around.

I was going to buy a used PT-AE4000U off of Craigslist with tax return money. Sonnie's PJ giveaway gave me the itch real bad

I've decided to stick with my plasma until I can afford a nice, new projector. Maybe by that time 4k projection will more in the "typical consumer" price range.