Black Widow For Stage Projection - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 2 Old 05-03-14, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Black Widow For Stage Projection

Posted this on another thread but I don't expect a response as the thread seems to be inactive. All apologies for posting multiple times.

Would love some advice on a BW Ultra application for my stage setup. Essentially it's a custom 3D mapping sculpture that I designed and built myself, with original video content I've created to provide an illusory effect while being synced with my music. My problem is when laser technicians are hard at work it essentially washes out my video. I'm also hoping to cut down on lengthy setup and breakdown times. I'm hoping that a BW Ultra paint job will help with this problem.

PROJECTOR:

Sanyo XF60A - LNS-201 lens- 6500 Lumens - 1024x768

THE SETUP:

Stage is 17ft wide x 9ft tall to top spheres and consists of:

Eight 2ftx4ft panels
Two 4ftx4ft panels
Eight 2ftx2ft panels
Roughly two 3x3 panels (for pyramids)
Two 2ft spheres
Two 18in spheres
Two 12in spheres

The frame is made of 2x2 wood and everything folds and breaks down with heavy duty hinges. Surface material is high quality blackout fabric that adheres to each panel on the frame via hook and loop. I'm looking to replace the projector material with 1/4 plywood that is permanently fastened to each individual frame that has been primed and painted (sprayed) with BW Ultra. This would make setup and breakdown a snap and I believe help with the laser/washout issue.

I would be extremely grateful for some help on selecting a base paint to work in conjunction with AAA (old and new).

Also, when viewed from the side, will the images be significantly darker?
Attached Thumbnails
Black Widow For Stage Projection-img_1454.jpg  

Black Widow For Stage Projection-dsc_6069.jpg  

Black Widow For Stage Projection-dsc_6092.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-04-14, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Re: Black Widow For Stage Projection

Thanks for your response Mech. Also, many thanks for the time, testing, and innovation you put in to developing this method.

Good news on the viewing cone.

Was planning on using Valspar Sig Matte with Glidden "Veil" if the new AAA formula shows up. And to answer your question on the surface, my video animation is projected across all cubes, spheres, and a 21ft backdrop. Actually, the bottom two photos were snapped during a video test and gives you an idea of what it looks like in action.