wall paint - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 15 Old 05-09-14, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
knobert

wall paint

Guys,

I am trying to pull off a budget theater with a Benq 1070. I will be dealing with ambient light and WAF factor. as she doesn't want to walk around in the dark all the time. But we do have blackout blinds to cut off the direct sunlight.

I am a terrible painter but already have a wall colour close to N5.7 and would love to get away without doing anything, maybe a topcoat for the ambient?

I plan to project a 100" to 110" screen from around 9.5 feet. Our room is 16 ft x 16 ft and we usually sit on the couch at 14 ft.

Can someone let me know what a good budget paint might be? or should i go get a Optoma 25-LV

Thanks RW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-09-14, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
knobert

Re: wall paint

Actually, I found my old sub thread.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...io-12-tht.html

the wall colour is there and it is under what would be the full ambient light.

anyways have a look
post #3 of 15 Old 05-09-14, 07:41 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
knobert wrote: View Post
Guys, I am trying to pull off a budget theater with a Benq 1070. I will be dealing with ambient light and WAF factor. as she doesn't want to walk around in the dark all the time. But we do have blackout blinds to cut off the direct sunlight. I am a terrible painter but already have a wall colour close to N5.7 and would love to get away without doing anything, maybe a topcoat for the ambient? I plan to project a 100" to 110" screen from around 9.5 feet. Our room is 16 ft x 16 ft and we usually sit on the couch at 14 ft. Can someone let me know what a good budget paint might be? or should i go get a Optoma 25-LV Thanks RW
Hi/ I have an Optoma projector also, very happy with it. After a lot of research, I went with Rosco deep velour black, which was the darkest paint I could find. If you decide to go this way, let me know, and I can make some suggestions on how to apply it. It worked extremely well on my theater room and I did it myself, and I'm no pro painter.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-09-14, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
knobert

vidiot,

did you start a thread that I can read? if not I am all ears/eyes.

Also i looked at the wall tonight and its not perfectly smooth.

Also grabbed a paint can:

ICI paints Arrow Wood BLK 4p28 YOX 1P60 OXR 0P60

10yy27/060

I will be researching right away

feel free to chime in guys
post #5 of 15 Old 05-09-14, 08:57 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
vidiot,

did you start a thread that I can read? if not I am all ears/eyes.

Also i looked at the wall tonight and its not perfectly smooth.

Also grabbed a paint can:

ICI paints Arrow Wood BLK 4p28 YOX 1P60 OXR 0P60

10yy27/060

I will be researching right away

feel free to chime in guys
The Rosco paint needs to be diluted, much less than the label recommends. It's about 50/50 dilution, I used filtered water, but it may not matter. Also, very important: use the best microfiber roller you can find, and it will go on nice and smooth. A word about priming: I couldn't find a gray primer, so I used Kilz and had the paint store mix some black in to get it gray. I used 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of the Rosco, and I'm very happy with the results. Also, if you have any trouble finding it, I have an extra gallon I could sell you, just PM me. Apparantly, Rosco paint is used by studios and movie theaters to get the blackest finish possible. If you apply it properly, I think you'll be very happy with the results, I know I am...
post #6 of 15 Old 05-09-14, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
knobert

ok and what scenario lead you to use the dark black?

ambient light bright projector?
post #7 of 15 Old 05-09-14, 09:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
ok and what scenario lead you to use the dark black?

ambient light bright projector?
The most critical element in picture quality is contrast. When the light from the projector is reflecting off the walls, the tendency is to wash out the projected image, to the degree the walls are lightly colored. Obviously, you want to address any other light sources also, with the goal being to have as dark an environment as possible. I have matte black speakers, swapped out all the outlets for black, black mounting hardware for the recessed lights, Cinetile black ceiling tiles, and I even painted the electrical box black so it wouldn't reflect. I also plan to install black carpet. Not finished yet, but I have high expectations for the picture quality when I'm done. Not everyone has a dedicated room with an understanding wife as I do, but to the degree you're able to control the lighting, you're able to get the absolute best out of your projector. I'm a big Optoma fan, about the only thing I'd take over it is a JVC, but that's another discussion.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-12-14, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
knobert

does anyone have good starting point paint if i grab a 4 X 8 of Sintra to paint on?

Still looking for something that will work in ambient for the Family, but also in the dark when everyone is in bed.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-14-14, 05:16 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
does anyone have good starting point paint if i grab a 4 X 8 of Sintra to paint on?

Still looking for something that will work in ambient for the Family, but also in the dark when everyone is in bed.
You should have no problem with the projected image looking good in a dark theater if it looks good fighting ambient light.

Have you projected an image onto your 'Arrow Wood' wall? That is a dark paint, but you need a dark screen to fight ambient light. My main concern about 'Arrow Wood' is that it is quite a ways from being a neutral gray. A site that lists that paints color data gives the info below:

rgb(143, 132, 122)
CIELAB L: 55.8339, a: 2.3629, b: 6.8866

You should be able to get the following colors in ICI paint. The darkest is 'Seal Grey' and that should be very close to 'Arrow Wood', but it is a true neutral gray.

00NN 25/000 . . . "Seal Grey" [N5.7]
00NN 31/000 . . . "Icon Grey" [N6.25]
00NN 37/000 . . . "Granite Gray" [N6.7]
post #10 of 15 Old 05-14-14, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
knobert

Harpmaker,

thank you for the info. I have found a local supply of sintra as well so i can paint than and test that more.

does anyone think i need to work about gain of the pain/screen a whole lot or should i concentrate more on the right grey?