Projector Screen Paint Recomendation - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 06-29-14, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Question Projector Screen Paint Recomendation

I have just got myself a new BenQ MH740 projector (full HD resolution with 4000 ANSI lumens and 11000:1 high contrast ratio).

I have a wall that I am looking to paint as a projector screen and am looking at going with the Black Widow Ultra using AAA-F (new) and a neutral grey paint mix. The room will be mostly used at night and will be dark, possibly a bit of overflow light from other rooms.

What are your recomendations for this projector considering it's brightness? Black widow or is this not required?

If I was to go with the Black Widow Ultra what neutral grey would you recommend for Dulux colors (I am in Australia)?

Does a darker or lighter grey affect things at all and in what way?

Thanks guys and I look forward to hearing from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-29-14, 05:20 AM
HTS Moderator

Re: Projector Screen Paint Recomendation

Screen size?
post #3 of 6 Old 06-29-14, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

About 2.5m wide by 1.5m high

post #4 of 6 Old 06-29-14, 09:49 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
charltondurie wrote: View Post
I have just got myself a new BenQ MH740 projector (full HD resolution with 4000 ANSI lumens and 11000:1 high contrast ratio).

I have a wall that I am looking to paint as a projector screen and am looking at going with the Black Widow Ultra using AAA-F (new) and a neutral grey paint mix. The room will be mostly used at night and will be dark, possibly a bit of overflow light from other rooms.

What are your recomendations for this projector considering it's brightness? Black widow or is this not required?

If I was to go with the Black Widow Ultra what neutral grey would you recommend for Dulux colors (I am in Australia)?

Does a darker or lighter grey affect things at all and in what way?

Thanks guys and I look forward to hearing from you.
Welcome to HTS!

How far will the projector be away from the screen? This info, as well as the already mentioned screen size, is necessary to help fine tune the gray level of your screen. With that bright a PJ and that small a screen I don't think you need Black Widow Ultra™ and just a simple neutral gray paint will work well for you.

The darker gray a screen is the more perceived image contrast it will help to create. It does this by absorbing some of the projected light as well as any ambient light that may be in the room thus making black parts of the image appear to be blacker. White parts of the image (cars, snow, clothing etc.) will still appear to be white rather than gray because of a kind of optical illusion that occurs. The human eye/brain determines image contrast by how black the black parts of an image are rather than how white the white parts are.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-29-14, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

The projector will be 4-5m away from the wall.

Thanks for that insight about the grey. How dark can you go with grey before it is to grey?

Last edited by charltondurie; 06-30-14 at 05:27 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-30-14, 03:32 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
charltondurie wrote: View Post
The projector will be 4-5m away from the wall.
The projectorcentral calculator is showing you are getting 33 fL of image brightness with your PJ and screen setup if using a 1.0 gain white screen. This would actually be too bright for most people and cause eye strain. The fL value, along with your screen size, means the projector is outputting 1068 lumens. This value is also taken with the PJ in "video" mode which cuts image brightness in half, but this is usually needed to create anything close to black areas in the image when used with a "conference room" PJ such as the MH740. This 33 fL value also is taken from a lamp that has half of it's usable life gone; a new lamp would be brighter and a lamp almost gone would be dimmer.

Quote:
Thanks for that insight about the grey. How dark can you go with grey before it is to grey?
That is a very good question, however it is also one that has no fixed answer since this is VERY subjective depending on the users preferences. In a dark theater studies have been done that show that people prefer an image brightness between 12 fL and 16 fL and that is the range we try to hit when recommending a screen paint. Speaking of which, I found the Australian Dulux paint site and the gray colors for it's paints. The most color neutral gray shade they have is called "Ashville" which is listed as having the Red, Blue, Green color values of 200, 199, 199. This is a very neutral N8 shade of gray and I would recommend that color to you for your screen, especially if you want to use the eco lamp setting to extend the life of the lamp. Get a Dulux interior paint in a flat or matte finish.

The reason we are so adamant about suggesting truly neutral gray paints and mixes is because it takes the color of the screen totally out of the picture when it comes to balancing the colors projected by your PJ. Also a neutral screen is best to use when calibrating your PJ.