Black Widow PFG - the Discussion - Black Widow - Page 101 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1001 of 1197 Old 05-22-12, 07:07 PM
Senior Shackster
Ryan

Re: Black Widow PFG - the Discussion - Black Widow

If the point of the plexi or glass is some kind of reflectivity enhancement, I think you'll be disappointed. I believe someone (Mech?) experimented with mirror pieces and considered it a failure.

You either have the paint too thin, which ruined the image, or the paint is too thick, and any potential gains are not realized as the substrate is completely obscured.

If the goal is just to have a flat substrate, you'll find glass to be very heavy (and fragile/dangerous/difficult to work with...and likely expensive) and plexi (polycarbonate) to be expensive and too flimsy at reasonable thicknesses compared to other options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1002 of 1197 Old 05-22-12, 08:06 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
dimpan wrote: View Post
has anyone ever tried using black widow paint on the back of plexi glass or actual glass?

i had an idea to get a 96" piece of plexi glass, paint the back and mount it on the wall, but i guess i should try first with a smaller piece obviously.
Yes we have (although we painted the front of a clear substrate and not the back), the results are documented in the thread below.

While we don't like to stifle experimentation here at HTS we have pretty much proven that painting a clear substrate for use as a front projection screen is a waste of time and money. See the thread Mirror Experiments for details.

I'm not clear (no pun intended ) on why you would want to paint the back of a sheet of glass or plastic. The glossy front surface would hot spot like mad and the projected light passing through the substrate twice would distort the image.

Some very misguided folks came up with the idea of painting mirrors on another forum and came up with their own "science" as to how such screens work - it's total nonsense. They are still promoting such screens today.
post #1003 of 1197 Old 05-23-12, 01:04 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
I'm not clear (no pun intended ) on why you would want to paint the back of a sheet of glass or plastic. The glossy front surface would hot spot like mad and the projected light passing through the substrate twice would distort the image.
I didn't know about the mirror test, and it looks terrible. My idea to paint on the back was because the plexiglass has no texture like drywall, and the light would shine through looking more like a plasma display.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #1004 of 1197 Old 05-23-12, 04:23 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
dimpan wrote: View Post
I didn't know about the mirror test, and it looks terrible. My idea to paint on the back was because the plexiglass has no texture like drywall, and the light would shine through looking more like a plasma display.
Ahhh, OK I get it now. That is an interesting idea, but you would still have to deal with the hot spotting of the glossy front surface and the refraction that would be caused by the light traveling through the plastic/glass (the thicker the substrate the worse this would be).

While it is true to a point that the smoother the surface of the screen substrate is before painting the smoother the final painted surface will be, another DIY Screen forum blows this all out of proportion telling folks that for the best screen the surface needs to be "baby bottom" smooth. That simply isn't true. This is something you can prove to your own satisfaction by making up small (about a foot square) test pieces of different substrates (drywall, tempered hardboard, glass, plastic) and painting them and comparing the painted surfaces for texture.

I have found that I have a very hard time telling a painted glass mirror from a painted piece of tempered hardboard. I spray with a compressor powered HVLP gun (see my avatar) and even when thinning and spraying latex paint there will be some texture in the finished painted surface.

I haven't painted drywall myself so I can't tell you exactly how fine it needs to be sanded before it no longer makes a difference in the appearance of the painted surface, but I DO know it is a long way short of "baby bottom" smooth. Perhaps others here that have painted drywall will give their opinions.
post #1005 of 1197 Old 06-12-12, 01:18 PM
Shackster

I did a 90-something inch BW screen on sintra. My initial reaction was that it was too "sparkly" at close sitting distances like I have(7 ft.). I decided that less AL action and a more opaque paint would do the trick. Since the BW is already calibrated to be a nuetral gray what I decided to do for a 3rd coat was to add some of Golden Acrylics N7 to the mix. Since these are high pigment load paint, a little goes a long way. This effectively toned the BW down. It seemed like a good way to "calm down" the AL in the mix and tune it without shifting color neutrality. Hope someone else might find this helpful.
post #1006 of 1197 Old 06-13-12, 09:08 AM
Shackster
John

Quote:
joshc wrote:
I did a 90-something inch BW screen on sintra. My initial reaction was that it was too "sparkly" at close sitting distances like I have(7 ft.). I decided that less AL action and a more opaque paint would do the trick. Since the BW is already calibrated to be a nuetral gray what I decided to do for a 3rd coat was to add some of Golden Acrylics N7 to the mix. Since these are high pigment load paint, a little goes a long way. This effectively toned the BW down. It seemed like a good way to "calm down" the AL in the mix and tune it without shifting color neutrality. Hope someone else might find this helpful.
I did essentially the same thing, one coat of glidden 'veil' over a rolled BW (rolled poorly by me). Great result.

JSS
post #1007 of 1197 Old 06-13-12, 02:30 PM
Shackster

Did the glidden completely kill the reflectivity of the BW?
post #1008 of 1197 Old 06-13-12, 04:31 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

can Visual Apex screens be painted?

I apologize if this was asked and answered before
post #1009 of 1197 Old 06-13-12, 08:23 PM
Shackster
John

Quote:
joshc wrote:
Did the glidden completely kill the reflectivity of the BW?
Just like tissue paper won't completely kill the refectivity of a mirror, the one coat of Glidden tamed the sparkle effect,

JSS
post #1010 of 1197 Old 06-15-12, 11:11 PM
Shackster

Im thinking about doing this black widow paint job on a piece of Blackout cloth and i was wondering since im in canada (BC so i have no Lowe's around me) they only have the paint and primer mix for Behr,

http: //www.homedepot.ca/product/premium-plus-ultra-interior-flat-enamel-paint-primer-in-one-379l/938923?eid=wishabi-prod|affiliate|wishabi|D24|EN|||938923-1000658402||||

just remove the space in between the http: and the //

is this still usable? any suggestions if no?
Closed Thread