Black Widow PFG - the Discussion - Black Widow - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Closed Thread

post #11 of 1197 Old 01-20-08, 12:53 AM
Senior Shackster
muzz

Re: Black Widow PFG

Some pics....

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/muzz1/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 1197 Old 01-20-08, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

I also want to reiterate that I can't smudge my panels without applying an abnormal amount of pressure and friction, so much that it would damage any screen except for a laminate screen. Rolling doesn't seem to be a problem and I just wanted to add that so people didn't think this was a problem even with a rolled screen.

Keep in mind any painted screen can be damaged with excessive scrubbing or abrasive cleaners. The only virtually indestructible screen that I know of and have personally tested (and I really mean I abused it! From freezing to soaking in water for days...) is laminate.

I will be spraying a screen very soon on the new light weight screen I am working on so we will get this working as a sprayed option.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #13 of 1197 Old 01-20-08, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I'd like to start out this post by saying that I've looked at and reviewed a lot of panels and paint mixes since coming on board here at the Shack, and this one is the best diy screen paint for ambient light viewing that I know of!
Thing is, it works well in a dedicated setup too.

As I mentioned, aluminum has been used for many things, even mirrors, so it adds a highly reflective property without the color shifting we see with pearls and iridescence. We can make a darker gray that makes blacks look better but the highly reflective and uniform properties of aluminum let it remain a bright screen and able to produce whites and vivid colors that are typically reserved for much lighter shade screens. Blacks and brightness aside, it gives better detail and image sharpness as well as more depth.

I know I showed this screen shot before, but take a look at it again and look at the reds and orange's closer... they really come to life and have a vibrance and depth I haven't seen on any other DIY screen including the laminates I have tested.

I've used/tested a variety of painted and laminate screens and I will be replacing my own personal screen with one of these.

As part of that I will be documenting a screen build from the ground up. This screen will be just as unique and revolutionary as the Black Widow PFG paint that will be going on it. Right now the prototype is light enough that I can literally lift it (53"x93") with my pinkie. I am adding cross bracing to stiffen the frame up more and that will add some weight, so after adding the supports I'd say I probably will have to use my index finger instead of my pinkie

In other words we're moving from the days of big heavy 60lb DIY screens and frames down to less than 20lbs, something Grzboken himself would be proud of

So look for that to be coming in the next few weeks... the prototype worked, so now it's time to build the real McCoy.

post #14 of 1197 Old 01-20-08, 05:12 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

Talking Re: Black Widow PFG

I think this screen does a good job with ambient lighting, here are a couple of shots..

Without light:
http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMG_1516.jpg

With 75 watt table lamp to the left of the camera- easy reading light:

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMG_1517.jpg

This pic isn't too bad for a 1900 hr bulb:

This screen smokes my old Pebble Beach/2 x PTC

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMG_1331.jpg
post #15 of 1197 Old 01-20-08, 05:32 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I'd like to start out this post by saying that I've looked at and reviewed a lot of panels and paint mixes since coming on board here at the Shack, and this one is the best diy screen paint for ambient light viewing that I know of! There is another that I know of but benven hasn't released his formula yet for comparisons.

Shopping

What you're looking for is this:

And this is what it looks like when opened:

Application Notes

Some application notes that I'd like to add are that spraying is currently under review. Harpmaker agreed to beta test spraying for us and is still working on it.

As for the nap of the roller I'd keep it 1/4" or less. I used foam rollers on my original test panels and had bubbles form to which Bill has alluded to the problems this can create. So stick with the 1/4" or less nap roller. I haven't had any trouble with panels created with these. Nor has our other beta tester, muzz, who has already replaced his screen with Black Widow!

Another item I'd like to caution folks about is handling the screen after it has dried. Care should be taken as we have seen some smudging. At this time it appears to be worse on screens that are sprayed. I had to create quite a bit of friction with my finger to create a smudge on my rolled screens. We're currently investigating a good topcoat that won't yellow over time and won't decrease the performance of the screen. I'm hoping to continue work on it this week. As of right now the Behr 780 matte polyurethane seems to work fine. However it has been known to yellow over time. I'm currently investigating proportions of Valspar Clear Coat Protectors in the flat and satin finishes to figure out which will work best. They introduce virtually no color shifting.

Musings

So I'm sure folks will wonder why 4:1 and 5:1? Why not 3:1? Well the 3:1's produced a very grainy picture and what appeared to be roller marks on the panel. While I'm not a painter by trade, I can assure you there aren't any roller marks. I believe it's just from higher concentration of aluminum. I've done some work on these and have gotten them straightened out. When it's finalized I'll add it to the top post and to the thread.

You can see the 3:1 screen shots here.

You can see 4:1 shots here.

You can see 5:1 shots here.

And there's ambient shots here.

mech
Mech..Is that shot of the roof paint very close to the actual colour?
If it is, then that's a very dark aluminium paint!

If I could find a similar roof paint in a local brand, that looks that colour, then it might work..

Edit...Anyone care to estimate what the gain is of the Black Widow screen..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #16 of 1197 Old 01-20-08, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Edit...Anyone care to estimate what the gain is of the Black Widow screen..
That opens a whole can of worms! Guessing that is...

We will have gain readings done but mech's waiting on his block of reference magnesium.

post #17 of 1197 Old 01-20-08, 05:41 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

Talking Re: Black Widow PFG

I went slightly different, my mix is Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace, @ 4.5:1

This was an EZ job.
I mixed the 558 paint by hand (as specified by the label),and combined the 2 products the same way..

I used a 1/4" Nap roller

Piece of cake, awesome results.
post #18 of 1197 Old 01-20-08, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

muzz that biplane shot looks really good. You can see the individual rivits and that's some good detail to pick up from a projector and a screen shot.

post #19 of 1197 Old 01-20-08, 06:24 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

Yeah, I like that pic, it is the EXACT frame shown elsewhere, produced by a MUCH more expensive setup.
My pic is by a AX100U Pannny LCD @ 720P, with >1900 hrs.

The one shown isn't overexposed, or blooming badly like the one it copied.
All folks need to do to compare the 2, is look at the blue sky above the pilots head to see what I am talking about.... the other pic is pretty much bright white, there is no blue sky.....

There IS a blue sky patch there!!

So obviously I had to be mindful of the contrast on that pic to show it like it really is... the other pic?

Well.. overexposed or blooming badly... I wasn't there to see.
post #20 of 1197 Old 01-20-08, 08:46 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
That opens a whole can of worms! Guessing that is...

We will have gain readings done but mech's waiting on his block of reference magnesium.
Augh..Go-on you guys, be a take a wild stab

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Closed Thread