Black Widow PFG - the Discussion - Black Widow - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Closed Thread

post #21 of 1197 Old 01-21-08, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: Black Widow PFG

Prof I will say seriously that there is some viewing cone so that means there is gain, but how much, we can't say right now until it's tested.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 1197 Old 01-21-08, 10:45 AM
tradewinds
Inactive

Great jobs guys and thank you. I assume an Designer White substrate will work for this or are you using something else that is better recommended? Thanks.
post #23 of 1197 Old 01-21-08, 01:54 PM
tradewinds
Inactive

wow, I checked all the places listed on Henry's site and no one around me here even know's about this manufacturer. If anyone plans on buying these in bulk and willing to ship, let me know. Thanks.

Seems the minimum is 1 gallon

post #24 of 1197 Old 01-21-08, 02:44 PM
Shackster
Ben

It would be interesting to make up some PFG with the Auto Air Aluminum (AAA) product. I still have some left over. Although, I would have to use the Behr 4850 white paint as the base. This paint is awesome guys. I think it would be as good if not better than the other white paints you have tried. The good thing about using the AAA is it does help with spraying as it was designed to be sprayed. Just a thought, Or is that 2 thoughts?
post #25 of 1197 Old 01-21-08, 02:49 PM
Shackster

<^..^>SJ

Looking good guys, with the correct measurements of importance now being done it shows how good and how bad some early work was.

The most colour uniform screens have a unity gain of one. The moment you have gain you risk colour shifts off axis and in some cases on axis. ie a wide 35degree viewing angle and a high gain will appear non uniform across the width.

The spectrum for a perfect screen is perfectly flat. For those unaware, these spectrum readings are how the material responds to light as radiation. The material or surface needs to equally absorb or reflect the viewable spectrum no matter what the source.

The PFG screen spectrum looks good, however being a perfectionist I think some areas need attention. The result from the mix appears to create a curve, convex in relation to the reflected light. Slightly more dropoff at the Blue end of the spectrum.
The issue of this is because of how a PJ creates it's light and reflected difference at different percentage luminances. Ie creating the 11 point black to white ramp.
Because the PJ spectrum of light is lumpy in nature (even at D65) the effect of a non flat spectral surface is minor shifts in peceived colour balance as the PJ stimulas is raised and lowered. In effect with the Blue end spectral reflective response dropping away the perceived center weight of seen blue colour will shift to the left and right as the simulas ramps up and down.
It is our perception of the resulting colour shift that is important.

The base shade of TV mist is possibly too flat and/or the 588 has a minor convex curve to it which is hard to see. I suspect the 588. To compensate have a look for a shade which is slightly high Blue, low Green and high Red. B230,G228,R230 for example.
If you get the idea a slight concave nature.
The resulting spectrum mix with the 588 would in theory result in a flatter appearence.

teehee another 20 hours homework for Mech

Light changes what it is doing depending if we are looking or not. Considering we only see this as a reflection of the past....what is it really doing now?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by <^..^>Smokey Joe; 01-21-08 at 03:36 PM.
post #26 of 1197 Old 01-21-08, 03:05 PM
tradewinds
Inactive

Reading the Henry 558 PDF docs said it replaces ProGrade #818 AquaBrite and Henry #229 Aluminum Emulsion. I wonder if those are easier to obtain and if it is the same product?
post #27 of 1197 Old 01-21-08, 04:15 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Anywhere from 0.8 to 2.0!

mech
Good one Mech..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #28 of 1197 Old 01-21-08, 04:20 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
tradewinds wrote: View Post
Great jobs guys and thank you. I assume an Designer White substrate will work for this or are you using something else that is better recommended? Thanks.
When I sprayed my Black Widow mixes the first time, I used some TWH (melamine coated hardboard); the second round I used regular hardboard that had been primed with Kilz 2. The Kilz 2 primed HB gives slightly brighter colors in my limited testing, but this could also be due to a change of spraying technique for that panel as well. The paint sticks to Kilz 2 MUCH better than to the TWH, and I would suspect the same would hold true for the laminate.

The bottom line is you can spray your DW if you want to. I don't know about rolling.

H.
post #29 of 1197 Old 01-21-08, 04:21 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Prof I will say seriously that there is some viewing cone so that means there is gain, but how much, we can't say right now until it's tested.
Aaah...Now we're talking..
So we are definitely talking higher than 1.0..A little viewing cone loss wont bother me..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #30 of 1197 Old 01-21-08, 05:30 PM
Shackster

<^..^>SJ

Mech ahhh didnt see that in the list before, I see ....interesting.

I have found some local brand Silver metallic and aluminium testpots in the garage from earlier experiments. My silver Metallic is lighter than the 588, I through some into some white and Magnolia(a violet tinted white)at 4:1 ratio and so far in mix pots is looking ok.

Have to wait to the base coats(white) dry and go hard, a day or so, before I apply some mix.

Oh I have already experimented a whiles ago with layers and light penetration.
Your base shade adds to the combined spectrum as light will hit 5 layers of paint and return. I feel you should always do atleast 2~3 base coats and 2 topcoats.
A consideration not to be forgottern and maybe a way to tweak total result

Light changes what it is doing depending if we are looking or not. Considering we only see this as a reflection of the past....what is it really doing now?
Closed Thread