Black Widow PFG - the Discussion - Black Widow - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 06:35 AM
Shackster
Ben

Re: Black Widow PFG

Quote:
<^..^>Smokey Joe wrote: View Post
The most colour uniform screens have a unity gain of one. The moment you have gain you risk colour shifts off axis and in some cases on axis. ie a wide 35degree viewing angle and a high gain will appear non uniform across the width.

The spectrum for a perfect screen is perfectly flat. For those unaware, these spectrum readings are how the material responds to light as radiation. The material or surface needs to equally absorb or reflect the viewable spectrum no matter what the source.
Hi Smokey, does your statement also hold true for gray screens? Yes, gray is a shade of white. For instance, if you start off with a white paint that has unity gain, ie a Lambertian surface. You then add a pigment or pigment free particles to it to get a shade of gray. You are "absorbing" more light than reflecting. ie a non Lambertian surface. Therefore, your gain automatically goes down and you have a gain of less than 1. That is unless you add "gain" to them to bring them up to 1. In which case, even though you have a measured gain of 1 you needed a little boost to get there. So, are you risking colour shifts with most gray screens?
We won't even talk about off axis viewing because a gray screen with gain, IMO, ins't all that great off axis. That's part of the reason I ditched CGIII, gain of 1.8, for a lower gain, lighter shade of gray screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 07:55 AM
Shackster
Brian

Send a message via AIM to bidzer

What is the best material to use the PFG on? Should I buy a tileboard from Lowes? I have a polywall screen now with Behr Silverscreen. I just ordered a SP-7210 and I'm worried that the Silverscreen will be too dark for it.

Thanks

Last edited by bidzer; 01-22-08 at 08:03 AM.
post #33 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 08:00 AM
tradewinds
Inactive

Something strange.....I contacted DoItBest.com and here is the reply:

Quote:
Greetings

Thank you for shopping doitbest.com! Unfortunately, I was unable to
locate that item in our system. I apologize for any inconvenience.
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Have a great
week!

xxxx xxxxx
doitbest.com

[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 4:13 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Henry 558 Aluminum Roof Coating

Hi,
I saw on your website you carry Henry 555, however I need Henry 558
Aluminum Roof Coating. Please advise if you are able to ship this
product.

Thank you.

I have a contact number Home Depot gave me to somewhere in my state (non Home Depot), I'll call and see what they can do.

post #34 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 09:00 AM
tradewinds
Inactive

Also, which of the base would be better to get, LW or WM? I couldn't help but notice that the WM comes closer to 65K and seems to have a more balance curve. Am I just looking into this too much on something I would not notice at all between using LW or WM?

Thanks.
post #35 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 09:30 AM
Shackster
Brian

Winter Mist/Dice 5:1 looks like a good one to me as well. I ould just like to find out what the best material to put this on other than my wall :-)
post #36 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
bidzer wrote: View Post
What is the best material to use the PFG on? Should I buy a tileboard from Lowes? I have a polywall screen now with Behr Silverscreen. I just ordered a SP-7210 and I'm worried that the Silverscreen will be too dark for it.

Thanks
Polywall will work. I would prime it first even though you already have SS on it. you want to start with a clean white base anytime you start a new project.

If you don't want to reuse your polywall, then yeah anything will work, hard board, MDF... whatever you feel comfortable with.

What is the lumen rating of the SP-7210?

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #37 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
tradewinds wrote: View Post
Also, which of the base would be better to get, LW or WM? I couldn't help but notice that the WM comes closer to 65K and seems to have a more balance curve. Am I just looking into this too much on something I would not notice at all between using LW or WM?

Thanks.
Both those 'curves' really are very flat compared to other things out there. the 5:1 Winter Mist version comes in as neutral, and the 4:1 Luminous White is a very close near neutral. Further out would be what we'd call 'Acceptable' and then outside that zone would be questionable or unusable methods. Both of these are well within specs for a screen.

So yes, LW would be perfectly fine to use and those bumps are partly the software that made the chart. I'm not saying it's is a laser flat straight line and the software screwed it up, just that with different graphing software you probably wouldn't see 'jaggies' but a smoother line. It still wouldn't be as flat as a surveyor's laser level but trust me these are very flat spectral responses.

post #38 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 10:54 AM
Shackster
Brian

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Polywall will work. I would prime it first even though you already have SS on it. you want to start with a clean white base anytime you start a new project.

If you don't want to reuse your polywall, then yeah anything will work, hard board, MDF... whatever you feel comfortable with.

What is the lumen rating of the SP-7210?
I don't mind using my polywall but would rather not. Will this paint stick to the following?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...16605-19-16605
post #39 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
bidzer wrote: View Post
I don't mind using my polywall but would rather not. Will this paint stick to the following?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...16605-19-16605
I'm assuming that's the perfectly smooth stuff and not the stuff with bumps right?

First, it's paint. It will 'stick' to anything paint will adhere too. That said, some surfaces need to be prepped in order for it to be properly painted.

Here is an excerpt from the Screen Painting 101 thread, specifically Prep and Painting

Quote:
If your wall or surface has a very smooth finish or is a synthetic or plastic surface, you must first apply an primer so that the paint screen paint can adequately adhere to the surface. Walls made of particle board or MDF should be thoroughly cleaned with turpentine or paint thinner. This will remove any glue residue and build up on the surface. This may seem like a useless step, and for most applications people don't have a problem- but ask yourself if you want to be that one person that does have a bonding issue or residue lumps. A quick wipe down is all it really takes, only a minute of your time.

Tip: A nonporous synthetic surface cannot absorb any liquid. While drying, temporary air bubbles may appear in the paint that has been applied. Do not touch them. They will
disappear by themselves as the paint dries.
So yes it will work with proper prep work. Bubbles are not such a good thing though. If they pop the aluminum tends to show and you get a shiny spot. If you see an air bubble, don't panic, go back and roll it out.

I think it was already mentioned, but this is an application where you actually want to stay away from foam rollers. You can do it with them but they tend to cause a lot more air bubbles.

Basically just roll it. I have no special rolling instructions, nothing fancy... if you can paint a room you can paint a screen. If a screen requires more than that, like special skills, special rollers, and video's, it's probably more complicated than it needs to be. If you don't believe me, contact some of the commercial screen paint companies and ask them how to roll their screen.

Screen painting really isn't as hard as some make it out to be. Just take your time, do proper prep work, and it will be fine. That doesn't just apply to Black Widow PFG, that applies to any paint project from painting a room to an old wooden rocking chair... preparation can make or break a project.

End of Sermon

post #40 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 11:35 AM
Shackster
Brian

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
I'm assuming that's the perfectly smooth stuff and not the stuff with bumps right?

First, it's paint. It will 'stick' to anything paint will adhere too. That said, some surfaces need to be prepped in order for it to be properly painted.

Here is an excerpt from the Screen Painting 101 thread, specifically Prep and Painting

The polywall has a smooth side and a textured side. I painted the textured side with the Silverscreen. The tileboard looks smooth.

So yes it will work with proper prep work. Bubbles are not such a good thing though. If they pop the aluminum tends to show and you get a shiny spot. If you see an air bubble, don't panic, go back and roll it out.

I think it was already mentioned, but this is an application where you actually want to stay away from foam rollers. You can do it with them but they tend to cause a lot more air bubbles.

Basically just roll it. I have no special rolling instructions, nothing fancy... if you can paint a room you can paint a screen. If a screen requires more than that, like special skills and video's, it's probably more complicated than it needs to be. If you don't believe me, contact some of the commercial screen paint companies and ask them how to roll their screen.

Screen painting really isn't as hard as some make it out to be. Just take your time, do proper prep work, and it will be fine. That doesn't just apply to Black Widow PFG, that applies to any paint project from painting a room to an old wooden rocking chair... preparation can make or break a project.

End of Sermon
I'm probably going to give this a shot. I might have to find a new piece of Polywall though.
Closed Thread