Black Widow PFG - the Discussion - Black Widow - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: Black Widow PFG

If you put a coat of good primer down you'll be fine.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 12:32 PM
tradewinds
Inactive

bidzer, you have a source for the 558 yet?
post #43 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Tradewinds mech posted a link for it, and worse case someone could send you some I'm sure.

post #44 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 01:08 PM
Shackster
Brian

Send a message via AIM to bidzer

Quote:
tradewinds wrote: View Post
bidzer, you have a source for the 558 yet?
Nothing local, 2 home depots to no avail. They had the 555. Looks like it may be mail order time.

I won't be doing any painting until after the Superbowl though!!! LOL
post #45 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 02:10 PM
tradewinds
Inactive

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Tradewinds mech posted a link for it, and worse case someone could send you some I'm sure.
Yep, $30 for the gallon shipped, not bad but I hate the fact that I may have about 100 oz remaining, maybe I'll paint the rooftop with the rest.

Anywho, maybe we can ask that place to issue a coupon for this site's members. I got a 5% off upsellit-5 when I tried to leave the site, but maybe a good $5.00 off coupon would be nice.
post #46 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 02:33 PM
Shackster

<^..^>SJ

Quote:
benven wrote: View Post
Hi Smokey, does your statement also hold true for gray screens? Yes, gray is a shade of white. For instance, if you start off with a white paint that has unity gain, ie a Lambertian surface. You then add a pigment or pigment free particles to it to get a shade of gray. You are "absorbing" more light than reflecting. ie a non Lambertian surface. Therefore, your gain automatically goes down and you have a gain of less than 1. That is unless you add "gain" to them to bring them up to 1. In which case, even though you have a measured gain of 1 you needed a little boost to get there. So, are you risking colour shifts with most gray screens?
We won't even talk about off axis viewing because a gray screen with gain, IMO, ins't all that great off axis. That's part of the reason I ditched CGIII, gain of 1.8, for a lower gain, lighter shade of gray screen.
Good question.

With a 0.8~1.2 screen it is unlikely to see much difference, however moving further away either direction and you alter the "L" in Lab enough so that the light that scatters more readily,ie Blue end of the spectrum, will behave differently than the Red end of the spectrum, then the ab functions may drift when viewing off axis.

We are looking uniformity across the width here.

The problem is not so much the spot measurement, which could equal a flat spectrum but the incedent light reflections.
This is hard to measure though, even with an i1pro as they like to be flat to the surface for the probe to work.

Still we are getting here, the spot spectrum result of the PFG is as good as alot of pay for screens.
Getting the spectrum flat solves 98% of calibration issues with the screen, ie lowers the push pull effect of trying to dial out the error with your PJ.

Light changes what it is doing depending if we are looking or not. Considering we only see this as a reflection of the past....what is it really doing now?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #47 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 02:44 PM
tradewinds
Inactive

Good point. My PJ (SP-7210) is unable to get to 65K on a white unity gain screen, so hopefully what slight variations from 65K the Black Widow PFG brings will work in concert. But, I agree, we may be splitting hairs on something that cannot be detected with the plain old eye.
post #48 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
benven wrote: View Post
It would be interesting to make up some PFG with the Auto Air Aluminum (AAA) product. I still have some left over. Although, I would have to use the Behr 4850 white paint as the base. This paint is awesome guys. I think it would be as good if not better than the other white paints you have tried. The good thing about using the AAA is it does help with spraying as it was designed to be sprayed. Just a thought, Or is that 2 thoughts?
Ben like mech said we're actively looking at this right now, and thanks for passing it along!

I called the company and this is basically the same as what I originally was using but mine ended up discontinued... which was aluminum, a binding material, and water. That's it.

I called Createx today and they said yup, that's all that's in the Auto-Air Aluminum.

Like you said, this is designed to be sprayed so a couple things right off the bat:
  • No need to strain it prior to being used.
  • Definitely sprayable
  • Will probably be able to be sprayed with a Preval Sprayer too for those that want to go that route
  • For those that want to roll, it will act as a natural thinner to latex paint and help it go down very smooth.

I do want to say before anyone runs out and buys this, we need to test it and find a base white that is more in like with our specs. We only did basic testing with the original because why waste time on something that was discontinued? We could have worked a base out but why? (In hind sight, if we had then this would be a simple substitute is all... but as they say hindsight is 20/20 right?)

So right now we know HE558 works, and we'll get an easier method out shortly but it will be the same method and performance, it won't be a total redesign or complicated method.

post #49 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 03:47 PM
Shackster
Brian

Send a message via AIM to bidzer

I was just @ Lowes to see what they had and all I saw was this in a gallon:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-30&lpage=none
post #50 of 1197 Old 01-22-08, 03:53 PM
tradewinds
Inactive

Quote:
bidzer wrote: View Post
I was just @ Lowes to see what they had and all I saw was this in a gallon:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-30&lpage=none
Yes, Home Depot also said they carry other brands as well as Ace. The problem will be the base white to use if one goes with another brand.
Closed Thread