Black Widow PFG - the Discussion - Black Widow - Page 51 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #501 of 1197 Old 10-19-08, 06:05 PM
Shackster
Matt Davis

Re: Black Widow PFG - the Discussion - Black Widow

Quote:
Ayreonaut wrote: View Post
Hey, guys. My brother was asking me about alternatives to the Sony Dynaclear.

Black Widow can be made in darker shades, right? Can you point me to that instruction?
I think the instructions are in this thread. I think you will find the 4:1 mix to be quite dark.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ack-widow.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #502 of 1197 Old 01-22-09, 09:46 AM

#1 Hokie Fan

It's after the holidays Mech.......
post #503 of 1197 Old 01-22-09, 12:55 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
shankar wrote: View Post
It's after the holidays Mech.......
He didn't say what year.

post #504 of 1197 Old 02-17-09, 08:27 PM
Senior Shackster
paints

Hey! Great to see the usual suspects are running around in here.

I have great news and truely horrible news.

First the good!

The Black Widow screen (with Henry 558) was a smashing success and performed incredible since I rolled it on my wall sometime last March. In fact...I'll even credit Black Widow for helping pull in the National Championship for my beloved Jayhawks last year (I'm highly superstitious during the NCAA Tourney). The Widow paired with the Panny AX200U was a match made in heaven.

Then something very evil occured....

My wonderfull wife decided I needed to get all my old audio gear off the old tv (it does make a nice bench) and have shelves built around my screen. I'm thinking ok. I want to upgrade my 1880's phonograph reciever thats been pumping out Rock Chalk Jayhawk and Van Halen almost 15 years now. This will be great. I can agonize over what reciever to get and have it and a whole system put into the cabinets flanking my screen.

Soooo the cabinets are built and installed and looking good except...my screen isn't centered in between the two towers. Ok, no big deal. I'll repaint the wall the original milk chocolate color and paint another Widow over it. On Sunday I got home painted it the wall color and waited until tonight (tuesday) to mask off the screen and put the Kilnz primer on.

HOLY *%$#@!!!

When I rolled on the Kilnz. The paint curled and sucked back onto the roller. Left horrible trails. Globbed. Wouldn't smooth out and is a wreck!! Generally speaking I'm a happy go lucky guy who hasn't cried since Ol' Yeller and right now. I don't know which I should do. Put my fist through my computer or go Terms of Endearment.

I guess I either sand down the whole wall. Or find a smooth board that can be cut to 87" x 55" and pay somebody to spary on the Henry and mount a perfectly flat screen.

Any thoughts?

I'd take a picture. But every digital pic I've taken in that room tend to blur and justify to my wife again why I need a tripod.

Well...sorry for my spiel. I've had so much fun watching my projector over the last year that I haven't really kept up with all you mad screen painting geniuses. Maybe if I look around a bit. I'll find the brushless all ready to hang Black Widow screen in here.
post #505 of 1197 Old 02-17-09, 09:36 PM
Senior Shackster
paints

Annnd I may have found the problem. My sports room is in the basment. It's usually around 66 degrees in there. However I have a sub-basement which is located on the wall that my screen is on.

I uh..umm touched the wall and it is as cold as my sub-basement is. That must be why it went on so tacky.

So I probably solved my X-File. Now I just need to figure out how to fix it. Man...this is frustrating. I've got to find a board to fit my measurement and have it sprayed it on. ! My old screen did have a valley in it (nobody else ever saw it). At least I can get that one imperfection corrected if I can find a suitable board.

Oh no! I better get back to reading this whole thread. I think when I fell off the planet here. Somebody was checking to see if the Henry BW was sprayable. I better find out.
post #506 of 1197 Old 02-17-09, 11:45 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Hi paints,

All BW mixes are sprayable. The Henry 558 has been supplanted by Auto Air Aluminum as the paint of choice to use for making BW, but if you have the better part of a gallon of Henry in storage I understand wanting to use it. We have found that Henry-based mixes drift away from being neutral in color over time.

The only sheet-good I know of that comes in your size would be a sheet of laminate in 5'x10'. If you can find a cheap sheet of laminate, you can spray it with BW.

Something you might be interested in is the Mega Screen thread here. A member (Quantum) has used a piece of vinyl flooring as a screen substrate! This is something that is very new and only one screen has been made of it, so we don't the full attributes yet; but it looks exciting.
post #507 of 1197 Old 02-18-09, 08:46 PM
Senior Shackster
paints

Well I sanded the wall down and put a fresh coat of Kilnz on. Flipped on the PJ and it appears to be the exact (albeit slightly imperfect) screen I had before. Watching the Jayhawks right now and all I can say is the whites are LOUD with the Kilnz. The colors look ok but I can't wait to put the Widow back up.

If I see all my imperfections terribly. I may just go the MDF route.

As for the 558 Henry. Heh...I got a ton of that gallon left and I thought it looked outstanding.

Thanks again for all the hard work around here guys. Black Widow is simply outstanding.
post #508 of 1197 Old 02-21-09, 01:20 PM
Senior Shackster
paints

Yeech! I think it's safe to say i have officially ruined my wall. I missed my calling. I should be doing textured walls for a living. The BW still looks great. However scenes with light blue (oceans) show the textured spots plainly and if any text is in those spots. It looks grainy.

So I'll ride this out for a bit and then fetch a 5X10 smooth board and spray the Widow.

Any of you guys working on a new blend? I'll volunteer for a few tests if I can help. Although I'll haft to be settled before March Madness fires up and my fellow Jayhawks come flocking over.
post #509 of 1197 Old 08-20-09, 11:27 PM
Kevin

I apologize for bringing up a dormant thread. I found this thread while researching projector screens.

I have a few questions/clarifications regarding BW.

I anticipate purchasing the Sanyo PLV-Z700 or the PLV-Z3000.
I would be using a 92" screen size.
I also live in an apartment.

Since I live in an apartment, I can not make a screen that would be a permanent fixture on my wall.

What material would you recommend to use for the screen that is light enough to hang on the wall (with a frame around it)?

From what I've read here, these are what make the BW?
  • 8oz of Auto-Air Colors 4100 Series (specifically 4101?)
  • 30oz of Valspar Ultra Premium flat Enamel Base 1 using the tint formula:
    104-3.5
    107-2.5
    109-0.5
    (or PPG-Bermuda Beige 427-2 in the above base)
  • Apply with either a low nap roller or spray gun.

Is the Kilz2 still recommended to prime a surface?
I think I remember in one of the posts someone mentioning pouring the paint or mixture through a strainer?

If this next question is blasphemous on this forum, please forgive me! Is there a low-cost equivalent pre-made screen to the Black Widow?

Any advice is appreciated
post #510 of 1197 Old 08-21-09, 11:51 AM
Shackster
doug

Keep an eye on craigslist as well... there was someone in my area wanting to sell his cinetension screen in cinegrey for $350 and was flexible on price... wrong size for me though, 106". Also, there appear to be some online sellers of the replacement fabric alone if you just want the fabric and can build the frame yourself... seems like a decent option if you don't like the silverframe (i.e. want the whole frame in black velvet).
Closed Thread