Black Widow PFG - the Discussion - Black Widow - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 1197 Old 01-29-08, 06:10 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

re: Black Widow PFG - the Discussion - Black Widow

I tried to have SW match a pretty decent sized brick chip, and they came out with the most god awful match I've ever seen, soI took that sample card, and I grabbed a bunch of cards off the rack that looked closer, and went BACK to the site I was trying to match(building brick), and it was WAY different than what they had selected.....

I don't have alot of faith in them since then....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 1197 Old 01-29-08, 07:12 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
muzz wrote: View Post
I tried to have SW match a pretty decent sized brick chip, and they came out with the most god awful match I've ever seen, soI took that sample card, and I grabbed a bunch of cards off the rack that looked closer, and went BACK to the site I was trying to match(building brick), and it was WAY different than what they had selected.....

I don't have alot of faith in them since then....
OK, SW sucks at color matching fabrics and brick chips - got it. Does anyone know how they are at matching actual paint samples? I will say my confidence in them is shaken and about to fall.
post #83 of 1197 Old 01-29-08, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

My preference is Lowes too. They have a Matchrite which is made by Xrite... and they have the most complete color library of any place I checked.

My bet would have been on Sherwin Williams since they are a dedicated paint store, so that was a surprise. Benjamin Moore and PPG though should be more accurate than even Lowes at color matching.

Home Depot is only a couple notches about True Value when it comes to color matching in my opinion. Home Depot doesn't have a complete color library and a lot of the times the techs aren't paint techs and only know how to run the machine to match existing Behr or Glidden colors. That's not really a match as much as it is a close match to an existing color. They do have the ability to color match, I'm just saying YMMV as far as if the tech knows how to do it.

I personally like the option of being able to access a very large color library, but not everyone may have a Lowes around.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken

post #84 of 1197 Old 01-30-08, 06:35 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

I thought there was some question about the compatibility of Lowe's Valspar bases with HE558. Something about them pushing blue if I remember right. Has this been proven true or false?
post #85 of 1197 Old 01-30-08, 08:30 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
It was pure speculation on my part. That's why I picked up the Winter Mist there last week. To test this. Where was your Winter Mist from Harp? I know that it was more dead on neutral than my Winter Mist mix was.
By "your Winter Mist" do you mean the last batch you got from Lowe's?

My first quart of Winter Mist came from my local True Value store. It was what I used to make up my test batch of WM/HE558 5:1.

The readings (RGB values) you got from my samples were:
True Value Winter Mist: 226-223-224
WM/HE558 5:1 mix: 194-195-194

The Lowe's Winter Mist measured 218-221-222 and I haven't made a HE558 mix with it yet.

When I painted the samples to send to you I noticed that the True Value WM appeard to have a reddish hue when I compared it to known neutral grays, which your measurements proved to be the case, but only slightly. The Lowe's WM, while it appeared to match the neutral grays better, is actually the tiniest bit on the blue side. When the two WM paints are compared side-by-side the True Value mix seems to be off-color towards red, which I mentioned to you and Bill via PM. It's strange how it produced a HE558 mix that is almost dead-on neutral.

I'd like to take a moment to examine the two WM paints above. When viewed by themselves both paints seem to be gray. It's when they are compared to each other, or a neutral gray, that a very viewable difference can be seen.

The True Value WM RGB values only differ 3 points. The Lowe's WM values only differ 4 points. The two together differ only 2 points in the Blue and Green values (a very close match), but they differ 8 points in the Red value. I think I'll mix the two WM's together and see how it averages out. In theory, it should be about dead-on neutral.

BTW, all my HE558 mixes were measured to the milliliter using syringes.

All this reminds me of something a friend told me years ago. He was the head of the lamp division (light bulbs) of Westinghouse. I sure wish he was around today, he could answer a lot of questions I have about DIY screens and projectors. Sadly, he passed away. Anyway, he told me that the human eye is very poor at determining colors with no reference point (which is why we can watch gray screens, all the colors are relative. ), but that when comparing two colors the human eye can discern very minute differences in shade and hue.
post #86 of 1197 Old 01-30-08, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
All this reminds me of something a friend told me years ago. He was the head of the lamp division (light bulbs) of Westinghouse. I sure wish he was around today, he could answer a lot of questions I have about DIY screens and projectors. Sadly, he passed away. Anyway, he told me that the human eye is very poor at determining colors with no reference point (which is why we can watch gray screens, all the colors are relative. ), but that when comparing two colors the human eye can discern very minute differences in shade and hue.
Absolutely true. That's why I said when testing screens, they should be tested against a known performer that's the same (or very close) shade.

post #87 of 1197 Old 01-31-08, 01:35 PM
Shackster
Edge

Re: Black Widow PFG

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Both Bill and I have been unable to find a 'suitable' mate for Black Jack. Everything tried so far has pushed blue. And then the fact that it is discontinued. And I have no more to test. I wouldn't recommend it. Stick with HE558.

mech
Wish I read this before I got to impatient and purchased a 5 gallon bucket of BlackJack at Lowes. They at least marked it down for me because it was the last one. Back to HD to order a gallon of 588. May just do the SW grey for now.
post #88 of 1197 Old 01-31-08, 02:24 PM
Shackster
Edge

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
To be fair, fabric can be tougher to match than a flat paint. I do understand though.
The offer still stands.

Before you drive all that way to the True Value store, make sure you have the formula for Winter Mist with you! Some stores don't have it, or look up the wrong tint values (been there! ).
WQ

Last edited by jegyed; 01-31-08 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Wrong qoute
post #89 of 1197 Old 01-31-08, 02:35 PM
Shackster
Edge

Re: Black Widow PFG

The blackjack is water based however it the label says "gel paint". This is to keep the aluminum suspended. That could be an issue.
post #90 of 1197 Old 01-31-08, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

I say take it back to Lowes and get your money back, unless you were planning on using the other 632 ounces for something else , in which case keep it for that.

I'm not really sure what you got. What does it say on the side as far as the product #? What I was using was just a general purpose water based aluminum paint.

Mine is High Reflectance All Purpose Aluminum Paint #5168
Contains
  • Resin
  • Mineral Spirits
  • Aluminum
  • Water

How much did it cost? Here it's $55 for a five gallon bucket.

Closed Thread