Glidden Veil vs Black Widow - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 09-14-14, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Glidden Veil vs Black Widow

I am going to try moving to a more stealth mode with my projector (JVC RS4910) and going from a framed Flexi-White screen to straight paint. This is in a living room where I mostly watch Blu-Rays, and always at night. There is some reflection off of the walls and the floor, but the ceilings are really high and probably (?) don't have that much of an effect.

I was getting ready to paint my interior walls gray anyway, and about that time I stumbled across the Black Widdow formula. This weekend I grabbed a sample of the recommended Valspar paint. I plan on sanding smooth the wall where the screen will be, and I would like to use the BW formula there with the additive. That being said, I thought just the Veil Gray on a slightly textured surface wasn't half bad. Skin tones were a little different, etc, but I'm hoping that can be calibrated. This is my first PJ so I still have a lot to learn in that regard.

My basic question is - how much difference does the additive change the actual color? Could I get away with one wall painted with Black Widow, and the rest with just the Veil Gray?

I may just wind up buying some of the additive and doing some tests. Thanks for any advice though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-15-14, 08:25 AM
HTS Moderator

Re: Glidden Veil vs Black Widow

Hello and welcome to HTS.

Can you give us more information about?

Thow distance
Viewing distance
Screen size
Lamp hours (i assume it's new..)
post #3 of 7 Old 09-15-14, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Sure

I am sitting right beneath the projector so they are about the same, but I would say throw is around 14' and viewing maybe 15'. I am zoomed about all the way out and my scope screen is close to 140" I think. The PJ is new and I am running in Eco mode. I might have 40 hours on it by now.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-15-14, 12:28 PM
HTS Moderator

Thank you.

Crucial info: 140'' screen.

You don't need BW, you need the whitest white you can find. 4910 can't handle a 140'' screen with a gray paint.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-14, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

OK, thanks, great to know. I really like the picture on the FlexiWhite in eco mode. I should probably graduate to taking my own measurements so I can get a real concept of FL/lumens. It might come down to personal preference, or personal levels of satisfaction. The initial tests I did with the patch of grey seemed ok, but they were in no way exhaustive.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-22-14, 07:54 PM

I have the same projector. I just want a screen that can act in bright wall room as can white screen act in complete black room. I just want to fight light reflections in my beige room rather than fighting ambient light. Is that a shade of 9.5 or 9? Screen size will be 110"
post #7 of 7 Old 10-22-14, 08:04 PM
HTS Moderator

Quote:
mishari84 wrote: View Post
I just want a screen that can act in bright wall room as can white screen act in complete black room.
There is no such paint invented yet. The only screens that can close to that (with side effects of course, such hotspotting) are special screens like DNP, Skyline or Black Diamond.