Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   DIY Screens (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-screens/)
-   -   Advice appreciated on which screen material to use (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-screens/16471-advice-appreciated-screen-material-use.html)

Graham N 02-02-09 10:35 AM

Advice appreciated on which screen material to use
 

Hi,

I have just posted on the anamorphic forum about screen ratio but this question relates to screen material.

I recently changed my Sharp XV-Z10000 for a JVC HD750 and while I am happy with the change one particular aspect seems worse with the new PJ and may be due to ANSI.

I don't have a dedicated HT room, my system is in my lounge. The problem is mainly due to the white celing. I seem to be noticing the reflection off it more than I did before changing the PJ. Anything lit up on screen seems to be lighting up the black borders. I particularly noticed it watching 'The Shooter' when a piece of paper was being waved up and down in someones hand I could see the black, well gray, border lightening and darkening.

I am considering three changes to my system, it is the third change I am enquiring about. The first change is to the ceiling. I am not allowed to paint it all black but have been looking into making a black cloth covered frame to attach to the ceiling just in front of the screen. This will be a bit wider than the screen and arch out from the screen about 5ft.

The second is to change the screen for a scope screen and lens so that I no longer have the black bars top and bottom. This is where advice is required.

My PJ is ceiling mounted with the top of the picture below the lens, so I won't get the benefit of a Dalite HP screen, do they even do it in electric? I don't think grey with high contrast will suit and two other things I wouldn't like would be sparklies or visible screen texture. One choice is a custom made Beamax M series standard or tab tensioned screen with 1.5 gain.

Would I be right in thinking that if I used a Dalite HP screen in my layout that I would get more light off the ceiling than a normal screen due to its retro-reflective nature bouncing light back up towards the PJ?

So, is there any other screen material that is angular reflective to suit my layout that is good at rejecting light from the sides and ceiling, preferably with a slight gain. The rest of my room is fairly well light controlled, I can just about see my present screen in the dark without anything turned on.

Sorry about the length of my post, but any advice appreciated,

Graham

Harpmaker 02-02-09 12:02 PM

Re: Advice appreciated on which screen material to use
 

Hi Graham,

Sadly, I am not familiar with commercial screens so I really can't help you much in choosing one. I can, however; say that you are correct in thinking that a HP screen would make the ceiling brightness worse with a ceiling-mounted PJ.

I've looked at the specs for your old and new PJ's using the Pro Calculator at PJCentral. The old Sharp is rated at 800 ANSI lumens and shoots your 89" 16:9 screen with 17 fL. of illumination. The new JVC is rated at 900 ANSI lumens and shoots your screen with 28 fL. (almost twice as bright).

Normally, with a PJ as bright as your JVC, I would recommend a gray screen even in a light-controlled HT; but that would be for DIY painted screens that I know a little about.

I do have a question: did you calibrate your JVC to your screen?
Another, perhaps dumb, question: can't you turn the PJ brightness down to ease the ceiling reflection problem, or does that affect image brightness too much?

In the end, I think you will either have to put up that black cloth on the ceiling or go with some kind of gray screen.

Graham N 02-02-09 02:23 PM

Re: Advice appreciated on which screen material to use
 

Quote:

Harpmaker wrote: (Post 146486)
Hi Graham,

Sadly, I am not familiar with commercial screens so I really can't help you much in choosing one. I can, however; say that you are correct in thinking that a HP screen would make the ceiling brightness worse with a ceiling-mounted PJ.

I've looked at the specs for your old and new PJ's using the Pro Calculator at PJCentral. The old Sharp is rated at 800 ANSI lumens and shoots your 89" 16:9 screen with 17 fL. of illumination. The new JVC is rated at 900 ANSI lumens and shoots your screen with 28 fL. (almost twice as bright).

Normally, with a PJ as bright as your JVC, I would recommend a gray screen even in a light-controlled HT; but that would be for DIY painted screens that I know a little about.

I do have a question: did you calibrate your JVC to your screen?
Another, perhaps dumb, question: can't you turn the PJ brightness down to ease the ceiling reflection problem, or does that affect image brightness too much?
In the end, I think you will either have to put up that black cloth on the ceiling or go with some kind of gray screen.

I have not calibrated the PJ to the screen, just made adjustments to get it to look ok.

I have reduced brightness but didn't notice any difference. It may just be me but the ceiling didn't bother me with the Sharp. Perhaps if I swopped back I would notice it.

I am going to make the frame for the ceiling along with getting a scope screen and lens

Thanks for your reply,

Graham

PS I did see some screen test comparisons elsewhere and didn't like the look of grey screens

Harpmaker 02-02-09 07:16 PM

Re: Advice appreciated on which screen material to use
 

I highly recommend you take a look at the calibration thread here. It can make a HUGE difference if your projector is calibrated to your screen or not.

Graham N 02-03-09 05:37 AM

Re: Advice appreciated on which screen material to use
 

Quote:

Harpmaker wrote: (Post 146598)
I highly recommend you take a look at the calibration thread here. It can make a HUGE difference if your projector is calibrated to your screen or not.

Hi Harpmaker,

Thanks for the link.

Question though. What is the correct way to make adjustments? I can change the way the picture looks by adjusting brighness, contrast or even lens aperture. This is even before you consider all the other available adjustments. How do you know where to make the adjustments? :scratchhead:

Graham

Harpmaker 02-03-09 09:57 AM

Re: Advice appreciated on which screen material to use
 

Quote:

Graham N wrote: (Post 146700)
Hi Harpmaker,

Thanks for the link.

Question though. What is the correct way to make adjustments? I can change the way the picture looks by adjusting brighness, contrast or even lens aperture. This is even before you consider all the other available adjustments. How do you know where to make the adjustments? :scratchhead:

Graham

There are special DVD's designed to help you set up your home theater to it's audio and video best. To quote from Wbassett's first post in the calibration thread:
"If you don't have a calibration disc like Avia or DVE then use the THX Optimizer found on all THX certified DVD. The difference really will amaze you."

Avia and DVE (Digital Video Essentials) are audio and video calibrations DVD's. The THX Optimizer can be found on THX certified DVD's such as "Terminator II". I, personally, use DVE.

Basically, a calibration DVD will provide step-by-step instructions on how to set up both your audio and video components to give the best performance for your HT environment. There are video test patterns that are displayed and then you adjust your TV or projector as given in the instructions. Did you know that there is a "color" darker than black? It's called Pluge; it's actually not a color (but can almost be thought of that way), but a pattern to set Black-Level.

"PLUGE pattern

A PLUGE (picture line-up generation equipment) pattern is a test pattern used to calibrate the black level on a video display. Black level is the technical term for what we typically refer to as brightness. It determines the amount of light that a picture display emits for the darkest areas of an image.

PLUGE patterns vary in format, but all consist of lighter and darker areas of black (and sometimes white and/or gray) shades. A typical PLUGE pattern is made up of three dark vertical bars, each of which is called a PLUGE pulse. When the black level is too low, the bars register as: black, black, and dark gray. This level will make the colors in a display look washed out. When the black level is too high, all three bars appear black. This level will make the colors in a display look dark and drab. In either case, the colors surrounding the dark areas will lack vibrancy and will be less distinct than they should be. PLUGE patterns are included in most display calibration testing products."

Don't be intimidated by all the techno-speak, the whole idea behind calibrations DVD's is to let you set up your equipment right without having to know what all this stuff means. :T

Graham N 02-03-09 12:28 PM

Re: Advice appreciated on which screen material to use
 

Hi Harpmaker,

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I think I may have a DVD somewhere that I used ages ago for setting up my surround sound. This may have what I need for calibrating the picture. I will look for it and give it a try,

Graham

Harpmaker 02-03-09 03:21 PM

Re: Advice appreciated on which screen material to use
 

Here is a list of THX certified DVD's that have the THX Optimizer on them. You could use any of these to do a basic calibration. Just click "entire list" or search for a specific title.

http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/search.html


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright ©2006 - 2019, Home Theater Shack, LLC.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome