Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   DIY Screens (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-screens/)
-   -   How do I attach velvet to screen trim without it bulging? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-screens/21517-how-do-i-attach-velvet-screen-trim-without-bulging.html)

Rancho5 09-24-09 11:58 AM

How do I attach velvet to screen trim without it bulging?

I have a 109" digital grey Screen Goo screen. My friend gave me a free liter of it, with base coat and it makes the Epson 6100 look great, and I haven't even calibrated it yet.

Before the velvet curtains go up on the sides, top and bottom, I'd like to frame in the screen using 1x3's wrapped in black velvet (same fabric as curtains) so that if the curtains come out a 1/4" off, the light is still absorbed and no shadows result.

Question: How do I attach the black velvet to the 1x3's so that when I mount them all, they don't bulge? And how do I attach them so that screws, etc, don't show?

lcaillo 09-24-09 01:49 PM

Re: How do I attach velvet to screen trim without it bulging?

Contact cement maybe?

phat78boy 09-24-09 02:48 PM

Here is my plan, I've tested it small scale and it came out perfect. I'm wrapping the velvet around the board and then stapling it on the back. From there, I have a nail gun which I'm going to use to nail the board up on the wall. I have the small finish nails which are very small and the head is very small too. When I tested this, I could not even see the hole as the velvet closed around it. I'm hoping to have mine finished this weekend, so I'll post pics if so.

Rancho5 09-24-09 02:51 PM

Thanks. I've been looking at velvet tape but I really don't want to wait to order it so I might just do waht you are doing.

Rancho5 09-24-09 06:06 PM

Re: Goo. I used every last ounce and then threw the jar away. Sorry.

Re: Velvet. My wife said to just order 3" tape off eBay so I did. I was trying to save money but she said go for it...so I did!

clark17 09-25-09 09:28 AM

Not that it matter now, but I did experiment with Adhesive glue from HD, and it worked pretty good for black velevet on a small 1x3 pine. However using this on longer pieces might be tricky. I'm planning to use this glue to build masking pieces to make my screen 2.40:1 (black velvet glued to ridgid foam pieces).