Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   DIY Screens (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-screens/)
-   -   Set on simple N8 screen, what paint and color? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-screens/65631-set-simple-n8-screen-what-paint-color.html)

bmfjimbo80 02-16-13 09:50 AM

Set on simple N8 screen, what paint and color?

30 Attachment(s)
As per the screen guys in here they recommend a simple N8 screen. I am actually buying a bunch of paint from Sherwin williams tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has an N8 paint from them I should be using. I will be spraying this onto a substrate. So what color and sheen do i get in my quart? Thanks

bmfjimbo80 02-16-13 06:54 PM

Re: Set on simple N8 screen, what paint and color?

30 Attachment(s)
Ive actually been going through the stickies and found the topic on the munsel scale N9-N7 etc. and came across the first test of an N8 screen, Sherwin Williams "Gray Screen". I see the color is still available. Would the Glidden Veil be better than this? What would the gain be on the "Gray Screen" and also the "Veil"? I'm plugging new numbers into the calculators but have not yet found gains examples. Also I just realized that the screen recommendation was for my original room plan that is now completely different. Using the calculator with a throw distance of 18ft I'm only getting 7fL at 2000 hours on the best mode, but 17fL on Dynamic mode. So on cinema Its not delivering enough brightness according to their recommended brightness scale. I'm at 1400hrs on my bulb right now so i just went up to 2000, in the middle of its life according to the rating of 4000 hours. Looks like I might want to pump up the gain a little bit from the baseline of 1.0.

Harpmaker 02-16-13 07:56 PM

Quote:

bmfjimbo80 wrote: (Post 591434)
Ive actually been going through the stickies and found the topic on the munsel scale N9-N7 etc. and came across the first test of an N8 screen, Sherwin Williams "Gray Screen". I see the color is still available. Would the Glidden Veil be better than this? What would the gain be on the "Gray Screen" and also the "Veil"?

There really is minimal difference between SW 'Gray Screen' and SW 'Unique Gray'. I usually suggest 'Unique Gray' since my sample from SW was very neutral. The only gray OTS paint we have accurately measured for gain was Valspar Ultra Premium in Flat Enamel tinted to the color Glidden 'Veil' (which is just a bit darker than N8) and IIRC it's gain was something like 0.8.

Quote:

I'm plugging new numbers into the calculators but have not yet found gains examples. Also I just realized that the screen recommendation was for my original room plan that is now completely different. Using the calculator with a throw distance of 18ft I'm only getting 7fL at 2000 hours on the best mode, but 17fL on Dynamic mode. So on cinema Its not delivering enough brightness according to their recommended brightness scale. I'm at 1400hrs on my bulb right now so i just went up to 2000, in the middle of its life according to the rating of 4000 hours. Looks like I might want to pump up the gain a little bit from the baseline of 1.0.
You are not going to find an OTS paint that will have a gain over 1.0 that will not hot spot. In OTS paints the only way to add gain is to add gloss. That will work up to a point, but it doesn't take much surface gloss before hot spotting becomes visible. At a true 7 fL I would recommend a white screen paint such as Glidden Premium GLN-9000 in flat finish (available at Home Depot) or Glidden Professional Diamond 450 in Matte Velvet finish (NOT from Home Depot). These are both white paints so they won't help a bit when fighting ambient light.

bmfjimbo80 02-17-13 04:17 AM

30 Attachment(s)
I really like the way the gray darkens up the blacks as I've been watching my with my Epson 8350 in my living room everyday which has crazy amounts of natural light. We use it as an everyday tv until the basement is finished and with the shades closed it still is not that dark. However I'm going to say the screen it is projecting onto is an N7 or so and the distance is actually around 19ft. Hmmm decisions decisions. Can you give me one more option. Do you have a sherwin williams N9 color that is between the white and N8 that way when I go to buy my paint for my room today I can look at the chips. Also does Sherwin have a white you recommend? In the end I might just have to give one a try and if I don't like it just respray it, not that big a deal. Currently I watch a ton of sports on it, but once summer comes it will be a movie only projector.

Here is my room setup again from a different post.
http://floorplanner.com/projects/221...ssets;q=camera

Harpmaker 02-18-13 07:33 PM

Quote:

bmfjimbo80 wrote: (Post 591517)
I really like the way the gray darkens up the blacks as I've been watching my with my Epson 8350 in my living room everyday which has crazy amounts of natural light. We use it as an everyday tv until the basement is finished and with the shades closed it still is not that dark. However I'm going to say the screen it is projecting onto is an N7 or so and the distance is actually around 19ft. Hmmm decisions decisions. Can you give me one more option. Do you have a sherwin williams N9 color that is between the white and N8 that way when I go to buy my paint for my room today I can look at the chips. Also does Sherwin have a white you recommend? In the end I might just have to give one a try and if I don't like it just respray it, not that big a deal. Currently I watch a ton of sports on it, but once summer comes it will be a movie only projector.

Here is my room setup again from a different post.
http://floorplanner.com/projects/221...ssets;q=camera

It sounds like you prefer to use Sherwin-Williams paints. The colors and N values I can recommend are below.

N9.7 - 'Luminous White'. This is a base color and not a mixed color.
N9 - 'Ice Cube'
N8 - 'Unique Gray'
N6 - 'Gray Shingle'

To get the gray level of your choice you could get a quart of 'Ice Cube' and a quart of 'Gray Shingle' and mix them to your hearts content. A neutral color paint added to a neutral color paint will equal a neutral color between the two.

If you go this route and would like to know what gray level you actually ended up with just send me a sample (about 1" square). PM me for my address if interested.

bmfjimbo80 02-19-13 05:47 AM

30 Attachment(s)
That's all the info I shall ever need thanks a lot. Yea I like sherwin Williams and doesn't hurt that this month I'm getting 25% off all paint. Picking up 10 gallons of paint for my house today and one quart haha

smokarz 02-19-13 09:16 AM

Quote:

bmfjimbo80 wrote: (Post 592077)
That's all the info I shall ever need thanks a lot. Yea I like sherwin Williams and doesn't hurt that this month I'm getting 25% off all paint. Picking up 10 gallons of paint for my house today and one quart haha

They usually have 30% - 40% off specials all the time.

bmfjimbo80 02-19-13 11:11 AM

30 Attachment(s)
I seen that. Figures not when I need paint.