Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   DIY Screens (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-screens/)
-   -   Why is "flat" not reccomended as a finish? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-screens/66278-why-flat-not-reccomended-finish.html)

joshc 03-14-13 12:25 PM

Why is "flat" not reccomended as a finish?

I've seen this mentioned before, but never really could discern why. I've always read that "a slight level of sheen is advantageous" I understand about it adding some gain....but if you didn't want gain....? Does flat blur the image by making things to difuse?

Andre 03-14-13 12:34 PM

Re: Why is "flat" not reccomended as a finish?

I am not sure about the blur issue, but I would think it is a matter of efficiency. If your projector doesn't have to be cranked up to its max lumens in order to compensate the screens lack of gain, it would last longer, including the bulb, and would run quieter because of less heat (fan not coming on all the time) which "may" be audible while watching

Harpmaker 03-14-13 05:41 PM

Quote:

joshc wrote: (Post 598589)
I've seen this mentioned before, but never really could discern why. I've always read that "a slight level of sheen is advantageous" I understand about it adding some gain....but if you didn't want gain....? Does flat blur the image by making things to difuse?

There is nothing wrong at all with a flat finish paint. In fact, it makes the best screen possible when a very wide viewing angle is needed. We use a paint that has just a tad more gloss to it (it used to be called Flat Enamel, but is now called Super Flat) simply because most people don't need literal wall-to-wall image brightness that stays the same and prefer the small boost in on-axis gain.

In paints that don't come in a finish equivalent to Super Flat we almost always recommend a Flat or Matte finish. About the only exception to that rule is when we recommend Sherwin-Wiliiams ProClassic in Satin finish for those wanting the most gain they can get from a white painted screen using a pre-mixed paint.

joshc 03-15-13 04:30 PM

Thanks for the responses. I don't know what it is, but I like it flat. I hate seeing any shift side to side. I also sit close, so it probably makes it worse. I just like a completely uniform image, not one that shifts.