some thoughts on studio monitors - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 12 Old 11-02-08, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
drf
drf

some thoughts on studio monitors

I am about to embark on a new project. A pair of nearfeild monitors for my studio. I am only new to the home recording thing, so I don't feel the need to go to extremes however they do need to be good. Becasue of the size of the room, anything from about 6" will do.

My current mindset is a 2way 6.5" woofer and 1"dome tweeter with an active X-over.

Any thoughts, experiences or opinions would be appreciated.

Cheer
Dr F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-02-08, 08:09 PM

Re: some thoughts on studio monitors

Is your goal to build these speakers or get a low cost high quality pair of studio monitors, perhaps even crossing the two boundaries?

If the latter is an option I would suggest purchasing a pair of Behringer 2030P monitors a pair of stereo subwoofers and a DCX2496. The 2030P monitors are extremely low cost (a pair can be had for $140 or so in the states) and are extremely high quality. Not only are they extremely linear speakers their polar response is superior to many speakers even 10X the price! Couple this with the fact that the units components are extremely high quality (high quality motors on the drivers, electrolytic caps etc..) a superior unit cannot be built for cheaper.

Of course, there are some issues with this unit, but with minor modifications these can be dealt with. Further, if you are willing the panel resonance issue (common to virtually all commercial and DIY speakers) with these speakers can be properly mitigated or removed as well.

If you are simply interested in building your own speakers and do not want to modify a pair I would suggest using the BG Neo3 PDR tweeter with a Dayton RS150 mid range. These units are very linear and using a crossover point at about 2kHz have matching, superb, polar response out to 75 degrees (in case you ever planned to use these far field) couple this with stereo subwoofers and you will have a first class pair of studio monitors. My build using these drivers can be seen here.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-02-08, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
drf
drf

I was thinking of building myself, but if the behringer deal is that good then maybe I could buy and modify to suit my needs. Thankyou

post #4 of 12 Old 11-02-08, 08:34 PM

Quote:
drf wrote: View Post
I was thinking of building myself, but if the behringer deal is that good then maybe I could buy and modify to suit my needs. Thankyou
If you are interested in a full listing of what is recommended to do with these speakers I can contact a member who has analyzed them more thoroughly than myself to offer such information. I would offer it myself, but his explanation would be more accurate .
post #5 of 12 Old 11-02-08, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
drf
drf

well, I just checked out the 2030P, here in Aus they start at $440. I know I could build something suitable much cheaper. I am off to see Def Lepard tonight, but tommorow I will check out some drivers and start modeling some cabinet designs. Do you know what drivers behringer used in the truthes?
post #6 of 12 Old 11-02-08, 08:46 PM

Quote:
drf wrote: View Post
well, I just checked out the 2030P, here in Aus they start at $440. I know I could build something suitable much cheaper. I am off to see Def Lepard tonight, but tommorow I will check out some drivers and start modeling some cabinet designs. Do you know what drivers behringer used in the truthes?
Wow, pricey! Behringer manufactures everything on site so you won't be able to get the drivers, I think. Rather, I would fall back to my second recommendation of the BG tweeter and Dayton midrange.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-03-08, 11:14 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Too bad those are so expensive in Aus. I have 8 of the fully active Behringer B2031A monitors and I paid less than $330 for each pair. I got 2 of the pairs for less than $280. They really are very good for the price and IMOP make many of the home audio and other studio monitors up to $700-1000USD look very bad. They do have weaknesses of course.

I believe that the drivers are produced by Vifa and are modified to Behringer's specification.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-05-08, 11:36 AM
Chris

You should check postage from US to Australia using www.usps.com. If the postage is under $100, it seems it would be well worth having a friend in the US mail you a pair of B2030P. BTW, I am the one who has done full analysis of this device and I can answer any questions you may have in regards to it.

-Chris
post #9 of 12 Old 11-05-08, 12:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Do you have a thread log about this somewhere WmAx?
post #10 of 12 Old 11-06-08, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

well I've looked, but I can't seem to find anyone who does those drivers in Aus. I have found a dealer for Vifa/Peerless so I might go with them and design around that. There seme to be a few good choices with Vifa for drivers that perform under $50.