DIY 2 way Synergy speakers - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

12Likes

post #31 of 41 Old 02-27-17, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: DIY 2 way Synergy speakers

I am also trying to figure out what I can put on the rack or the speaker to allow the speaker to be moved without damaging the finish. I was thinking maybe some stick on felt pads...ideas?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 02-28-17, 12:51 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Felt pads could work or a cheap soft rug. If I havent finished a cabinet or worried about ruining the finish I just place it on a towel myself. I also have some foam matts that I place under large subwoofers when I have them. Just some ideas.
ellisr63 likes this.

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #33 of 41 Old 02-28-17, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
Felt pads could work or a cheap soft rug. If I haven't finished a cabinet or worried about ruining the finish I just place it on a towel myself. I also have some foam matts that I place under large subwoofers when I have them. Just some ideas.
Currently I have a couple of towels under the Center Channel speaker.

Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..

post #34 of 41 Old 06-11-17, 09:53 AM
Shackster

Nice project, I will try to build a synergy in a future, first i need to learn how to simulate it
post #35 of 41 Old 06-14-17, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
LORDSANSUI wrote: View Post
Nice project, I will try to build a synergy in a future, first i need to learn how to simulate it
Do a search for bwaslo on the DIY Audio forums...he has made a simulator for the synergy horn diyers,

post #36 of 41 Old 08-26-17, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I now have a Klipsch k402 speaker to use as a model for building the Synergy horn(I purchased one brand new). We will be making a box for the stock k402 horn Sunday. I had a friend of mine compare the stock driver to the EV DH1A, and his impression was the EV drivers was much better. He said it was like veils were removed when using the EV drivers compared to the stock Klipsch driver. This is good to know as I have 5 EV drivers on hand now. I hope to also be able to compare the K402 (not modified) to the wood synergy horn this weekend. So far the Synergy doesn't sound very good, but we have a huge hump that needs to be knocked down, and we also need to verify that the compression driver is in phase with the woofers, and that the woofers are in phase with each other too. The power amp is almost completely wired up now. Only a few wires to go.😊😊 I will get the plastic top made at a later date, and will use a piece of mdf to seal it off for now. Once we get relocated... I will get a new piece of plastic for the top made.

post #37 of 41 Old 09-05-17, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I now have a Klipsch k402 speaker to use as a model for building the Synergy horn(I purchased one brand new). We will be making a box for the stock k402 horn Sunday. I had a friend of mine compare the stock driver to the EV DH1A, and his impression was the EV drivers was much better. He said it was like veils were removed when using the EV drivers compared to the stock Klipsch driver. This is good to know as I have 5 EV drivers on hand now. I hope to also be able to compare the K402 (not modified) to the wood synergy horn this weekend. So far the Synergy doesn't sound very good, but we have a huge hump that needs to be knocked down, and we also need to verify that the compression driver is in phase with the woofers, and that the woofers are in phase with each other too. The power amp is almost completely wired up now. Only a few wires to go. I will get the plastic top made at a later date, and will use a piece of mdf to seal it off for now. Once we get relocated... I will get a new piece of plastic for the top made.
Today we listened to the k402 horn in its new cabinet with the EV DH1a driver, and it sounded great. We compared it to a smaller EV horn with the same driver with both horns being crossed over at 500hz to LA Scala bass bins. The k402 horn sound much fuller on the bottom end than the smaller EV horn driver combo. The EV horn sounds excellent, but the k402 horn takes it up another level. I want to say it sounded even better than the JBL 2360a horn did with the same driver, but that is going by how the JBL sounded in my room, and tune a few months ago. We used the same settings for the MiniDSP that we used on my JBLs, and on the smaller EV horns.

My friend, and I now know why people make the really big horns! BIGGER HORNS SOUND EVEN BETTER! Next we will be tuning the DIY Synergy horn we made, and see how it does compared to the K402, and the EV horn.

I am hoping the Synergy wood version 1 sounds better than the EV/LA Scala bass bin combo...if it does I fully expect the Klipsch 402 wood version to sound even better than the K402/LA Scala bass bin combo does. I will post up how the first Synergy DIY we made compares hopefully in the next week.

Last edited by ellisr63; 09-06-17 at 08:48 PM.
post #38 of 41 Old 09-06-17, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Update... the power amp is almost electronically completed...all it needs is power to the boards and each channel tested. I still need have a top made, and I want to modify the front faceplate.

post #39 of 41 Old 09-10-17, 09:10 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Pictures or it didn't happen.
ellisr63 likes this.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #40 of 41 Old 09-11-17, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Today I listened to the v1 all mdf Synergy that we built...I was very surprised as to the bass output, but something didn't sound right...the horn sounded like there were veils that needed to be removed. My friend and I listed to various songs, and sometimes it sounded great, and at other times we heard resonances.

One song stood out from the others when we heard was best described as her smacking her lips when she speaks. Has anyone else ever heard this(we did not hear it on the other channel with LA Scala bass bins, and EV horns with EV DH1a drivers)?

When it came to the bass it appeared to go much deeper than the La Scalas setup and having a much warmer sound compared to the La Scalas. On the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms track the Man's Too Strong the Bass sounded much better than the La Scala did, and I was very impressed. The La Scala bass sounded tighter but was over powered by the Synergy bass. We are hoping after the tune is fine tuned the bass will not be overpowering the mids.

My friend is going to run REW on it again to see he can see what might be causing it to have this effect. We are thinking part of it might be we need to turn the gain down on the woofers as there are 2 compared to the La Scalas 1.

Conclusion so far is when it does something right it is really right, but at other times it needs something...

We will continue to work out the bugs, and report back as to what has happened. I will also continue to work on the new horn mod, but I will not be able to compare the two as we will be moving, and v1 will be left with a friend, but I think what we learn from this will help in getting the next one tuned better.

As far as the amp... I should be picking it up this next weekend, and might be able to get some pics of it before it is packed up. I have the front faceplate plate removed currently, but can possible show the layout and wiring. My friend is doing the wiring for me, and verifying everything works for me, and I will not be able to test it out or work on it until we have our household effectsso delivered to our new location. This could be months, but I will post up when we have it.