DIY Dayton Soundbar - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

6Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 09-13-17, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

DIY Dayton Soundbar

I have a living room that had a really cheap Samsung sound bar that we picked up with a gift card a few years back. But I have always wanted to design and build a soundbar from scratch. So recently I did just that.

Goal: Is to have a soundbar that sounds great and is compact for most living rooms. I also wanted it to be aesthetically pleasing. With this is mind, I wanted it about 4" in height and length 36" or shorter. I also didn't really want frequencies below 90hz, as I planned to use a separate subwoofer with it. With those design goals in mind, I started picking out the drivers.

Parts Used:

4x Dayton ND65-8
2x Dayton ND25FA-4
Dayton 2x15 Amp (I may upgrade this, but I had this on hand)

Materials Used:
1/4" MDF (doubled in the speaker enclosure)
1/4" Walnut Baffle (doubled in the speaker enclosure

Video Tutorial:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-13-17, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: DIY Dayton Soundbar

Theoretical Response:

Current Response with Current Crossover:

post #3 of 14 Old 09-13-17, 08:30 PM
Shackster

This looks really cool, I'm thinking of building something similar for my wife for Christmas with a sub for in the bedroom. I'll check out your video.
123Toid likes this.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-13-17, 09:52 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Very nice, you nailed the visual appeal for sure. Is that at 2-way or 2.5-way horizontal mtm? How is the polar response?

post #5 of 14 Old 09-14-17, 05:26 AM
Shackster

Good workmanship! I see professional tools, and it is always easier to work with. congratulations!

P.P.
I think the front panel should not be just an array (it will his own sound), but a sandwich.
Joro
123Toid likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-21-17, 04:00 PM
Dave

I love the DIY perspective as I'm the same way, but...sometimes a more cost effective, if not individualistic approach accomplishes the same thing if not better. Then again I don't have the resources available to me anymore now that I live in a condo. I applaud your accomplishment and enjoyed your video. Here's my work around, although not as aesthetically pleasing as yours. 4 BIC America DV-32b's used as a center channel in a series-parallel configuration. Small but still able to hit an 80Hz low by themselves. Using a sub as well to hit a 20Hz low with very good results but perhaps I'm missing something so any and all advice is welcome to correct my imperfect thinking, lol....
Oh, forgot to mention these 4 are set on their sides to reduce profile and create a "virtual" soundbar.
123Toid likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-22-17, 07:07 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

A DIY soundbar? There's something you don't see every day. Maybe you'll start a trend.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #8 of 14 Old 10-03-17, 03:37 PM
Shackster

ovillegas

My System

Here we go, now I have to go spend more money!

Very nice looking sound bar.
123Toid likes this.

PT-AE8000U | 105" DIY Screen | BDP-103D | Onkyo TX-NR838 | ZA5.3t mains | ZA5.3c Center | 4 ZA5.2s Surrounds | SVS PC13 Ultra | DSP1124p
post #9 of 14 Old 10-21-17, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
fusseli wrote: View Post
Very nice, you nailed the visual appeal for sure. Is that at 2-way or 2.5-way horizontal mtm? How is the polar response?
I'm sorry I did not see these responses. It is just a 2-way MTM. THe polar response is excellent. The only thing I am not a big fan of is that the ND series speakers really need a zobel to make them behave well in a two way setup. Because of this, you end up have a very complicated crossover. I am currently working on another soundbar, but using the Dayton audio PC83-4 and the ND20FB-4 tweeter. So far, I am really pleased with the results. Not only is it cheaper, I think it actually sounds better too.

Currently I have only design the TM two way, but sound tests have been off the charts. Now I plan to make it MTM and see if I can port it to about 60hz for more of a complete solution. Although, I may just keep it sealed and make it a 2.1 soundbar.

post #10 of 14 Old 10-21-17, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
jororaitchev wrote: View Post
Good workmanship! I see professional tools, and it is always easier to work with. congratulations!

P.P.
I think the front panel should not be just an array (it will his own sound), but a sandwich.
Joro
What is funny, is almost all my tools came from auction. I got them for really cheap. I think I paid $60 for my table saw, my first router I got for $1, and then I built most of my benches. I try to get away with value when I can.
fusseli likes this.