Killer 2 channel recommendation? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 19 Old 02-26-18, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Solid7

Re: Killer 2 channel recommendation?

Quote:
Sorry but things change. Take a look at the forums and you can easily see that traffic has slowed down. Anyway, there is DIY still going on by all ages its just that not a lot is shared here....so don't blame Millennials for it....and I was born in '66!

Good luck in your search.
I don't actually blame anyone for anything. I'm pretty down to earth.

All I want is a great build project. I'll look some more through the links. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 02-26-18, 10:53 AM
Shackster
Walt

My System

Yes, please look at the links and search around the net for feedback. There are a TON of 2-way kits out there. Some of these kits came to fruition out of great feedback from DIY speaker evaluation events around the Country. Like the kits from Meniscus. There's much feedback on these around the net: https://meniscusaudio.com/product-ca...iver-config=tm

Also, you mentioned ScanSpeak. Good old Madisound has a couple of kits within your budget:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...-ii-kit/#tab-1

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...rts-only-pair/ (Check http://www.zaphaudio.com/ for feedback)

Again, check the feedback around the net to get a better perspective.

Myself, I've been wanting to build the MONSTER sized Statement II speakers and center channel for some years now for my TV room. They are on the Speaker Design Works site: http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statement_II_1.html

However, I might end up building a 2-way or 3-way bookshelf for a 2-channel system. I'm really interested in kits using the Creative Sound Solutions drivers https://www.css-audio.com/ as well as the SB Acoustics Satori drivers. http://www.sbacoustics.com/ I've listened to some of their own kits ( http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php/sb-acoustics-kits/ )at the AXPONA audio show and I was draw in to the products. The price to performance seems high. Their kits are really easy to build for great sound. They even offer prefab enclosures for those that want to go that route! Check these guys out. I would think one of these affordable kits mated with a custom translam enclosure would be awesome for the money.

ALSO, http://www.selahaudio.com/kits/ has a lot of kits using ScanSpeak and SB acoustics drivers. I met the Owner, designer Rick Craig at the AXPONA audio show and he was very approachable. So, I'm sure you could get a ton of feedback from him as well as the ton of builds and feedback on the net about his offerings. The Anniversario model is one I would love to build: http://www.selahaudio.com/kits/

Killer DIY 2 channel is out there, you just have to go find it and decide which to build!

Last edited by WLDock; 02-26-18 at 11:14 AM.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-26-18, 08:41 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
solid7 wrote: View Post
What more could I possibly give you, in a world of abstractness? I've basically asked for a budget build that sounds great to someone who is a bit more of an audiophile than myself. I've given the criteria that I want a (preferably) 2-way build, with an approximate size. I've stated that I don't want home theater, and will possibly pair with a subwoofer.
Unfortunately, that's still a firm possibility of a definite maybe. What is a "budget" build exactly? Is it $100 for a pair of speakers all in, or $100 per driver in each speaker? Everyone has a different budget. "sounds great to someone who is a bit more of an audiophile than myself" has no context I'm afraid, so there's little to be gleaned from that either. How does one even quantify levels of an audiophile? Knowing whether or not you will be using a subwoofer is one of the first decisions to be made really, and that seems to be unresolved as of yet. Before looking through the excellent links WLDock provided you should consider making that decision as it would likely eliminate several of the possibilities he offered, effectively winnowing down the options and making the task of choosing less daunting. That may prove beneficial in this case.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

post #14 of 19 Old 02-26-18, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Solid7

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Unfortunately, that's still a firm possibility of a definite maybe. What is a "budget" build exactly? Is it $100 for a pair of speakers all in, or $100 per driver in each speaker? Everyone has a different budget. "sounds great to someone who is a bit more of an audiophile than myself" has no context I'm afraid, so there's little to be gleaned from that either. How does one even quantify levels of an audiophile? Knowing whether or not you will be using a subwoofer is one of the first decisions to be made really, and that seems to be unresolved as of yet. Before looking through the excellent links WLDock provided you should consider making that decision as it would likely eliminate several of the possibilities he offered, effectively winnowing down the options and making the task of choosing less daunting. That may prove beneficial in this case.
I started off with $1000 for drivers and crossover. That seems pretty specific.

As regards the subwoofer - I can be very clear about that. I would ideally build a pair of speakers that sound fantastic without one, but certainly isn't hurt by the inclusion of one.

I've toyed around with the idea of MTM, 2-way, and 3-way. Open to anything that uses up to about a 6-7" woofer. Not looking for anything bigger.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-26-18, 09:56 PM
Shackster
Walt

My System

That's just it. Audiophiles get picky about everything from tweeter types (dome, ring radiator, ribbon, planner air motion, etc.) down to the wire used. So, it's tough for anyone to sell a speaker kit over the net without the buyer listening to it first. Even if all factors are considered and the choice is narrowed down to three.... It will be hard to know what one would like the best without comparison. So, some of DIY is taking a chance that one will like what they build.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Last edited by WLDock; 02-27-18 at 07:20 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-27-18, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Solid7

OK, fine. I'm gonna build Revelator 2-ways with a subwoofer. I've got (3) 15" SoundSplinter woofers at my disposal.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-08-18, 11:42 AM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

I've always had a strong interest in Magico. Never listened to a pair of Magico's but given an opportunity to buy even a pair of empty cabinets i would consider that a great opportunity. All machined aluminum to extreme tolerances with all drivers either proprietary or machined in house from aluminum billets...

In any case when i look around at some of the long lived favorites like Joseph Audio, Totem, Wilson etc etc i recognize a high incidence of of some of my favorite speakers like the Scan Speak Revelator, Seas, RAAL ribbon tweeters, and Accuton drivers of all sizes. The price of the Accuton Diamond tweeter has dropped to $1900. The reviews on Accuton I've read indicate minimal crossover tweaking is required for even the ceramic tweeters from Accuton. Madisound has them all.

An old standby and a company that has been around for a while in fact i'm not sure they still exist except in my cookies. I would not build without checking to see what drivers and crossover parts they have in stock. Zalytron.com

I do like your choice of scanspeak though. I hope you plan to post your build with maybe a few pic's..., thanks

We believe everything we tell ourselves..., don't we??

Last edited by Gregr; 03-08-18 at 11:46 AM. Reason: ref
post #18 of 19 Old 03-08-18, 11:45 AM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

Zalytron.com was the website i was referring to above.

We believe everything we tell ourselves..., don't we??
post #19 of 19 Old 03-08-18, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Solid7

I can't start building until May. But yes, I do intend to post my build, either here, or at one of those other forums.

If you're interested in the cabinets, all you have to do is say so. I am able to design them to spec. I'm currently in the process of shopping a new vendor for the build. But if you like what you see, feel free to inquire. If you haven't seen my WMTMW center channel build, that's a good idea of what to expect.