Active crossovers and speakers - amplification? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 41 Old 12-13-10, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

Re: Active crossovers and speakers - amplification?

Quote:
Trick McKaha wrote: View Post
I'm using some active EQ and use an old Yamaha receiver as a multichannel power amp, in addition to an Emotiva XPA5 that powers the main speakers. I use a new Yamaha receiver as if it were a pre pro, not using its power section at all. For a middling diy er like me, active EQ is just easier to get right, and that makes home building speakers practical for me.
I'm actually going to go active........ and just have to invest the money in amps. I have a UPA7 that I'm using - and thinking about using it just for the tweeters for some 3ways that I'm building... I just wish you could adjust the gain of each channel on the UPA7.

I'm building some new 3 ways - and I need the flexibility that an active crossover provides - and the ability to adjust the gain on each channel.

Thanks for the comments from people..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 Old 01-04-11, 06:07 AM
Yad
Senior Shackster

yad

Active crossovers and per-driver amplification is the best possible way to built the speaker system. If you whant, i'll tell you why, but later: now i have to go.
post #13 of 41 Old 01-04-11, 08:56 AM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
Yad wrote: View Post
Active crossovers and per-driver amplification is the best possible way to built the speaker system. If you whant, i'll tell you why, but later: now i have to go.
This is debatable. It certainly has it's advantages, but it also has its problems. Best is a subjective term that depends on the project requirements.

post #14 of 41 Old 01-04-11, 09:49 AM
Yad
Senior Shackster

yad

lsiberian, i mean only objective quality characteristics of the sound-reproducting system: all kind of distortions, phase and time allingment, low group delay parameter, best possible step-responce, total control of all drivers and possibility to use amp-s with different output impedances (current source) for per driver (etc).

Sure, it does not concerns a financial and a commercial sides of this question.

Last edited by Yad; 01-04-11 at 12:49 PM.
post #15 of 41 Old 01-07-11, 01:42 PM
Shackster

My System

What are the disadvantages? The only one I can think of is the need for more amps, which can be tough for those with a limited budget.

I too, will never again build a passive system.
post #16 of 41 Old 01-11-11, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
cast55 wrote: View Post
What are the disadvantages? The only one I can think of is the need for more amps, which can be tough for those with a limited budget.

I too, will never again build a passive system.
Could noise floor somehow be a disadvantage?

More amps...... active crossover....... more cables? I don't know. Just throwing that out there.

A good amp is an amp..... but I imagine that the active crossover is the biggest part to either help or hurt.

I'm thinking about a DBX Driverack PA+ rather than a DCX2496..
post #17 of 41 Old 01-12-11, 01:52 PM
Shackster
Kevin

Active speakers offer many advantages over passive crossovers one downside is trying to keep the amps slew rate as close as possible read on linkwitz's site about active crossovers and amplification. The biggest advantage of active digital crossovers is that if you ever move the speakers or decide to up or downgrade you can continually modify you crossovers at no additional cost.
post #18 of 41 Old 01-18-11, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Jim

It looks like this topic is well discussed in this thread:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ve-system.html
post #19 of 41 Old 01-18-11, 10:32 PM
Senior Shackster

Reed

I feel biamping is a great way to go.For my front L/R speakers I chose to mate a subwoofer with each of my bookshelf speakers. I have tried several Xovers; Paradigm X-30, dbx 223, Beringer CX2310, and finally the NHT-X2. What disappointed me with most of these units was the circuit noise. Generally the more features you have in a unit (phase adjustment, slope adjustment, etc) then the designer is forced to introduce more opamps into the signal path, which creates noise, especially with the high frequency drivers. Also, discrete crossover frequency adjustment as apposed to continuously variable adjustment allows for simpler circuit design and less noise. I found the NHT-X2 to be a happy medium of cost, features, and very low to non-existent noise. Unfortunately this unit is no longer being made.
I also chose to go with a relatively high quality amp to drive the bookshelf speakers, and high power Class H subwoofer amp. A Class H amp is a cheap way of generating a lot of power at the expense of some harmonic distortion, but in a subwoofer you will never will hear it.

Reed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #20 of 41 Old 02-06-11, 03:36 PM
Maarten

Quote:
coony63 wrote: View Post
If you are interested in active crossovesr check out minidsp prossesers very slick units.
Or combine that with the MiniAMP, which seems ideal to use with the MiniDSP (allthough with 10 watts on 4 channels a bit weak)
If you do that, it's just a matter of putting up the right settings and all left is an electric plug, a cable to your sound source and a USB entry for chaninging the settings.

Or if you want to build a two way, get a Hypex AS2.100.
You can also make that a three way by combining that one with for instance a DS1.2 or 2.0 (subwoofer) amplifier and set the cross over frequency on the Hypex A2.100, creating a very nice high quality active three way