Crossovers - where to start? - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 157 Old 02-17-13, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Odougbo

Re: Crossovers - where to start?

The blue ones were made 20+ years ago - ordered 1 factory coil to see what I could improve - which is obvious now (way to tall) Going to make new, thinner pexi spools and re-wind them.
Attached Thumbnails
Crossovers - where to start?-coils-1.jpg  

[/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 157 Old 02-17-13, 08:42 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

I have a tweeter with a resonant chamber and a port in the back. Tang Band 28-537SH doesn't have any suggestions for mounting either interior or exterior.
I'm going to try inside on front baffle first, then outside on a bracket.
I'm curious if the tweeters rear port would allow the woofer to over drive the tweeter cone.
post #73 of 157 Old 02-18-13, 12:51 AM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
I have a tweeter with a resonant chamber and a port in the back. Tang Band 28-537SH doesn't have any suggestions for mounting either interior or exterior.
I'm going to try inside on front baffle first, then outside on a bracket.
I'm curious if the tweeters rear port would allow the woofer to over drive the tweeter cone.
I would definitely consider it's own enclosure.
Have you done a search on the driver to see any recommendations?

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #74 of 157 Old 02-18-13, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Odougbo

That looks like a nice tweeter:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-870 I have some old Morels with the same features. They are wonderful, except they just don't go up high enough (Morels).

I need to make some tweeter bullet shaped inclosures (I gave my tweeter brackets to a friend), I'll need to mount with a dowel or metal post.

Up to 8 boxes now, but only using two next to TV. The wife and I are

Great Bass super highs and haven't missed a word in a movie yet. The lower register in voices is also simply amazing.

It doesn't all add up with the low cost drivers, but there is extra work with the cork and felt lining, 1"backs, triple layer sides and the flares are apparently all working in harmony .

[I'm getting faster at building them, prototyping is a lot of work, lot easier with a recipe]
Attachments

[/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Odougbo; 02-18-13 at 03:27 AM.
post #75 of 157 Old 02-18-13, 12:19 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
Have you done a search on the driver to see any recommendations?
`
There's nothing here on Home Theater Shack and I haven't found anything of value anywhere else.
post #76 of 157 Old 02-18-13, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Odougbo

This is the one people rave about.......

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...tr=hds+tweeter

I think they double the price on the speakers that work better than the rest of the pack - I say FOUL BALL!!

[/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Odougbo; 02-19-13 at 02:24 AM.
post #77 of 157 Old 02-19-13, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Odougbo

Been hanging on to a pair of 6.0mh coils, but sacrificed for this project. Which was good, made up two 1.5mh out of the larger 6.0mh coil; and only a 6' piece left over.

btw.....the meter was only $35, ~ that's the cost of one coil.
Attached Thumbnails
Crossovers - where to start?-1234.jpg  

[/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Odougbo; 02-19-13 at 03:36 AM.
post #78 of 157 Old 02-19-13, 11:58 AM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Quote:
Odougbo wrote: View Post
This is the one people rave about.......

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...tr=hds+tweeter

I think they double the price on the speakers that work better than the rest of the pack - I say FOUL BALL!!
You make a valid "audio consumer" point.
Especially "Tweeters" how do we (the consumer) tell which one is the BEST? . . . . or better? With a woofer, us guys can tell. If a woofer can flap our pants legs, it's good. If a woofer can give us that "kick in the chest feeling" that's good. If a woofer can rattle my wife's fine china in the next room, that's good. If you can see the woofer cone gyrating in and out a full inch, that's good. If your neighbor calls the cops twice a week cause he can hear, feel, and have his wife's fine china rattled, that too would be a good woofer. But what about Tweeters??? Have you ever heard of a tweeter that could kick you in the chest?
OK, you say, test them by listening to them. OK, what do we listen for? You say, flat frequency response, little distortion, and non fatiguing. But, aren't those qualities best measured by machines ie: meters, scopes, and graphs? And if that's so, when we wanna go out and BUY a tweeter, what IS IT that's going to tell US how they sound and perform? Usually the tweeters are combined in a system with other drivers. They are combined with a minimum of one other driver, a woofer. You know, a woofer and a tweeter. That's the classical 2-way system. Even in a simple 2-way system, how do you separate the two drivers and their respective auditory performance from each other? Which is producing that ugly distortion, the woofer or the tweeter?
OK, so lets not judge a Tweeter in situ, what OTHER way does the consumer have to judge a tweeter? I know, listen to the tweeter without any other driver present and operating . . . . right? Have you ever listened to just a tweeter with nothing else running? They sound terrible! Add to that, that virtually ALL tweeters must have a cross-over circuit attached to protect it from low Hz material and to separate the high frequencies from the lows at some point in both drivers ability to reproduce sound within their respective (optimum) range with the least amount of distortion of all kinds.
So if we DIYers can't listen to a tweeter and know that, it's the best or, it's better than most, or it has been reported to be one of the best, and there's NO WAY we have the equipment to do any testing ourselves, what are we supposed to do?
I know what I've done. I bought the tweeters after having read the manufacturers claims, looked at the specification sheet/s, studied the frequency response graphs, and compared the distortion figures against other tweeters. Then I designed a 2-way or 3-way system using that particular tweeter, designed a x-over circuit, built a set of enclosures, and finally gave it a listen. Only THEN was I able to tell whether I had the right tweeter or just a high priced metal doughnut. Maybe just maybe the manufacturer had fudged the tweeters performance. Would they really DO something like that? NAAAAWWWWW! LOL
How do YOU guys do it?
In Odougbo's mind, he's thinking "this is the one people rave about". Who's raving? Is that a valid test procedure? Maybe it IS valid taking into account our alternatives. .

Last edited by ISLAND1000; 02-19-13 at 01:46 PM.
post #79 of 157 Old 02-19-13, 12:31 PM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

They are all valid points Phil.
Now cast your mind back before we had all this information available online...... It was a real minefield.
Thankfully we can now find reviews and opinions relatively easily to allow us to narrow down the choice of what may work in our design.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #80 of 157 Old 02-19-13, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Odougbo

Well yes and thanks to the forum and all the folks that pipe in with info and police outlandish claims!!

Too many choices.....which can be good and bad

Can always "take a poll" on a speaker driver selection; three big companies that you can just call and ask a handful of concerns/questions; before you buy:

http://madisound.com/
http://www.parts-express.com/
http://meniscusaudio.com/

I've called them all, they all have been very helpful and full of great ideas

[/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Odougbo; 02-20-13 at 02:02 AM.