Crossovers - where to start? - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 157 Old 02-20-13, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Odougbo

Re: Crossovers - where to start?

Looks like there is a "back" - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-870

But no photo of the back so we can't tell; can always make up a little wood box and glue to inside - I known some DIY guys use small "tin cans" as a chamber.

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
`
There's nothing here on Home Theater Shack and I haven't found anything of value anywhere else.

[/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 157 Old 02-20-13, 03:33 AM
Banned!

realy great information by this thread.
post #83 of 157 Old 02-20-13, 06:32 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Quote:
Odougbo wrote: View Post
Looks like there is a "back" - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-870
But no photo of the back so we can't tell; can always make up a little wood box and glue to inside - I known some DIY guys use small "tin cans" as a chamber.
I'll try to post a picture of the "port" in the rear of the Tang Band Tweeter. It's teensy compared to the "Holes" in the magnet of a 18" subwoofer.
I'm wondering if the "port" requires some enclosure beyond the resonant chamber which is already designed into the rear cover. I haven't done any analysis using WinISD. Can you even model a tweeter in WinISD?
On an unrelated subject, what about "baffle step compensation". What about edge diffraction?
Who has those answers?

Last edited by ISLAND1000; 02-20-13 at 06:52 PM.

post #84 of 157 Old 02-20-13, 11:33 PM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Quote:
ISLAND1000 wrote: View Post
I'll try to post a picture of the "port" in the rear of the Tang Band Tweeter. It's teensy compared to the "Holes" in the magnet of a 18" subwoofer.
I'm wondering if the "port" requires some enclosure beyond the resonant chamber which is already designed into the rear cover. I haven't done any analysis using WinISD. Can you even model a tweeter in WinISD?
On an unrelated subject, what about "baffle step compensation". What about edge diffraction?
Who has those answers?
Baffle step is more for the frequencies and distances involved for a midrange driver.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #85 of 157 Old 02-20-13, 11:49 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Quote:
robbo266317 wrote: View Post
Baffle step is more for the frequencies and distances involved for a midrange driver.
There's quite a wide ranging discussion about baffle step compensation. Some insist you gotta have it, others say you can compensate using other means, most acknowledge a condition exists that MAY influence the audio product. I'm still unsettled.
post #86 of 157 Old 02-21-13, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Odougbo

I'm sure BSC is needed on some speaker projects - however one more reason to build "satellite boxes".

The imaging on this last pair of SF/Vifa speakers is outstanding (no BSC) also the TB speaker on the first post is also 5 out of 5 stars. I need to measure the TB pair, like to see the response since I did use the xo from another-similar build.

SF/Vifa build....I asked MS to quote a kit price for woofers/tweeters/prebuilt xo with upgrade parts (Clarity Cap and 14 awg wire) $250 per pair.

That's about a $100 less than the SR71 speaker kit:

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...ir-parts-only/

I had a pair of SR71's...okay I guess, I didn't have them long to appreciate them.

Good read: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20...?tag=cnetRiver

[/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Odougbo; 02-21-13 at 03:02 AM.
post #87 of 157 Old 02-21-13, 10:22 AM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

The article you reference is where I'm at. However, it's those pesky engineers that, over time, have brought us to this point of audio nirvana. The overall engineering and technology movement in audio/video technology has obviously been in the right direction.
Us DIYers have a place in the scheme of things though too. Without US there would have been no search for a speaker capable of reproducing 10Hz @ 110db. There would also NOT be audio crossover capacitors the size of Campbell Soup cans costing $899.00 each! There would be no 1000 watt amplifiers that weigh only 7lbs. So . . . . . never feel like your OWN projects aren't worthy of a deep discussion with others here on Home theater Shack.
post #88 of 157 Old 02-21-13, 11:03 AM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Quote:
Odougbo wrote: View Post
The imaging on this last pair of SF/Vifa speakers is outstanding (no BSC) also the TB speaker on the first post is also 5 out of 5 stars. I need to measure the TB pair, like to see the response since I did use the xo from another-similar build.

SF/Vifa build....I asked MS to quote a kit price for woofers/tweeters/prebuilt xo with upgrade parts (Clarity Cap and 14 awg wire) $250 per pair.

That's about a $100 less than the SR71 speaker kit:
Which SF/Vifa build are you referencing?

I'm using the same tweeter as used in the SR-71s (Seas 27TDFC) in my current 2 ways with a Peerless 6.5 inch 830874 woofer. That tweeter IS excellent.
Comparing the two tweeters, the Tang Band TW 28-537SH vs the Seas 27TDFC,
The Tang Band is much more robust, better build quality, and $20 bucks cheaper. Subjectively, the two have similar audio performance characteristics with a slight edge going to the Tang Band because of lower harmonic distortion. The distortion issue I haven't had a clear chance to evaluate. I'm still in the build stage.
I think one of the reasons the Tang Band tweeter is not more popular is the fact that the performance data lists the "RATED POWER INPUT" at only 12 watts and the "MAXIMUM POWER INPUT" as 100 watts.
A 12 watt tweeter is NOT what any of us are interested in, even with a 4th order X-OVER in place to protect it. The 100 watt "MAXIMUM POWER INPUT" is confusing. Just exactly what does that mean? It's not the usual language used to describe a drivers power capability.
Anyway that's the first thing I checked when I received the Tang band tweeters. I hooked a tweeter up with a 3.9 μF capacitor and began to play music while increasing the volume little by little until my ears hurt.
The fact that it played at what I assumed was at least 95db was proof enough to me that the tweeter had enough power capability to play at volumes loud enough for my average listening environment without damage.

Last edited by ISLAND1000; 02-22-13 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Changed Mf to μF
post #89 of 157 Old 02-21-13, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Odougbo

SF/Vifa?

Silver Flute - Vifa Tweeter - Why that's the Penguin build.
Attached Thumbnails
Crossovers - where to start?-penguinn.jpg  

[/SIGPIC]
post #90 of 157 Old 02-22-13, 12:57 AM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

I got it now.