Driver Break in - Fact or Fiction? - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 98 Old 11-14-12, 05:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Driver Break in - Fact or Fiction?

And typically it is harder to hear the mechanically changes in compliance of a sub woofer than a smaller driver. As the compliance softens it is kind of like air shocks on an old car. If you put a lot of air in the shocks then the ride is firmer and it can take longer for the car to quit bouncing after hitting a bump. With less air in the shocks the ride gets softer and settling time is less.

Woofers are much the same way. As the compliance softens it alters the settling time of the woofer. So it tends to recover faster from the input signal. This is why many people note that the mid-range sounds smoother, lusher, more natural, and with less congestion after burn in.

With the small driver the settling time can decrease in some areas by 1 or 2ms pretty easily. And if the total settling time was only 6 or 8ms to begin with then this is pretty significant and easy to hear.

On a real heavy sub the softening can allow a little deepening of the output, but a 1 to 2ms decrease in settling time might not be as noticeable when setting times could be MUCH longer due to the amount of mass and stored energy of the heavier woofer. Room resonances and cabinet wall resonances can also easy mask the slight added clarity that one might get from a sub after a good burn in period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 11-14-12, 06:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System

I'm sure you have a mighty fine demonstration, I don't get down to Texas much. Thanks for the link, I think most DIY speaker builders would agree with the upgrades you performed on that speaker. As a producer I have to say that the thinking that goes on at the consumer end of things is sometimes amusing, far too much emphasis is placed on the things that matter least.

I have my opinions, I don't claim they are facts. My opinion is cable burn-in - insomuch as it can be discerned by the listener - is purely in the realm of psychoacoustics. The main exception I'd grant is if a cable is of the wrong impedance (in the case of connects) or of insufficient gauge to perform the assigned task (in the case of power cords and speaker cables).

Quote:
Danny Richie wrote: View Post
I wish you were close by. I'd change the way you think about everything by letting you listen to some comparisons. I have not had a visitor yet that couldn't easily hear the difference in a cable change whether it be power cables, speaker cables, or interconnects.

I can even let you get used to the system and swap out just one pair of interconnects for a fresh pair (no burn in) and again the difference is not hard to hear, especially if you know what to listen for.

There is a challenge here that you might be interested in: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...#axzz2CF7wwm4U

And cable break in isn't a believe in or not believe in type of deal. You either have experienced it or you have not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DIY HTPC - 32GB RAM, 4.4Ghz overclocked quad-core i5 CPU -- -- Crown XTi-2002 -- Crown XTi-1000 -- Mains: 4X Sony Xplod XS-GTX121LW 12" subwoofer/woofers & Selenium D3300Ti 2" Titanium Horn Driver (tweeter) -- Subwoofers - 4X DIY 12" Sony Xplod Ported - 16hz tune -- Pioneer Elite SC-55 AVR

Last edited by Dub King; 11-16-12 at 10:24 AM.
post #93 of 98 Old 04-06-13, 01:54 PM
Shackster

In late January I built a set of 40" folded horns using a 4" driver. They included horn tweeters. I am not using a crossover just a 10 uf cap as a hi pass filter for the tweeter.
Because of a project that I was working on I did a number of spectral scans every few days. After a day of testing the speakers at 90 db , my wife and I both noticed a change in the sound of the speakers. There had not been a change in the 4 months of use before that.
Here are scans from the start of testing and after the change. I do not see a change, but can hear one.
Attached Thumbnails
Driver Break in - Fact or Fiction?-speaker-changes-over-2-months.jpg  

Last edited by fwbutler; 04-06-13 at 02:07 PM.

post #94 of 98 Old 05-19-13, 11:46 PM
Shackster

Sorry all, just found this thread - and haven't read through all posts.

For what I can tell - with raw drivers - building own cabinet - and designing crossover, breakin is a must...

see http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...nce-files.html
post #95 of 98 Old 07-28-15, 11:48 PM
Shackster
Frank D

Could one not use distortion measurements when drivers are new and then again say after 50 hours break in to see the difference of break in? REW has speaker distortion measurements.
post #96 of 98 Old 07-29-15, 08:55 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Frank D wrote: View Post
Could one not use distortion measurements when drivers are new and then again say after 50 hours break in to see the difference of break in? REW has speaker distortion measurements.
The differences you hear are not found in distortion measurements. The differences can be seen in the spectral decay though. As the suspension softens it changes the setting time causing less stored energy and smoother more relaxed sound.
post #97 of 98 Old 07-29-15, 11:39 PM
Shackster
Frank D

Quote:
Danny Richie wrote: View Post
The differences you hear are not found in distortion measurements. The differences can be seen in the spectral decay though. As the suspension softens it changes the setting time causing less stored energy and smoother more relaxed sound.
Thanks Danny.

So for a new 12 inch coaxial speaker what would you say is a fair break in period using a break in track? 50 hrs? More? Also what is an ideal break in spl level ie 10 db below reference ok?
post #98 of 98 Old 07-30-15, 09:27 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Frank D wrote: View Post
Thanks Danny.

So for a new 12 inch coaxial speaker what would you say is a fair break in period using a break in track? 50 hrs? More? Also what is an ideal break in spl level ie 10 db below reference ok?
In my experience of testing and measuring the T/S parameters after various amounts of burn in time I see this pattern. Imagine the fresh driver is at point A and complete burn in is at point B. Every time you double the amount burn in time you move half way to point B. So in the first hour you move pretty far. I'd say close to half way. But eventually you are putting a lot more time on them and seeing very little real change.

With some drivers it is really hard to hear much change after 40 hours or so. With some that settle range where it is hard to tell any difference come at 80 plus hours or so.

Also, how hard you're working them in that burn in period makes a difference as well.