Driver Break in - Fact or Fiction? - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 98 Old 06-08-10, 04:56 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Re: Ear-brain accomodation as important -- Driver Break in - Fact or Fiction?

Quote:
bill13 wrote: View Post
Subjective ear-brain accomodation to a particular loudspeaker's sound qualities seems to be a neglected topic.

Often when exposed to a new speaker, I feel that it's too bright or has some other flaws, but such impressions are often mitigated after a few hours listening - giving time for ear-brain processor to 'get used to' the particular sound presentation.
But neutral requires no adjustment and that is the goal. Problem is the rooms we live in aren't conducive to that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 98 Old 06-08-10, 05:00 PM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

Re: Driver Break in - Fact or Fiction?

Quote:
lsiberian wrote: View Post
We've had a few other recent discussions on the subject and the consensus is that whatever changes happen in a quality driver are inaudible and insignificant in the design. The favored break in procedure is to watch ones favorite movies while drinking ones favorite beverage and eating ones favorite snack. It seems this method produces a wonderful break in experience and leverages a positive pyschoacoustic effect.
You are on a roll, as of late!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Half of everything I know is wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know which half."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #63 of 98 Old 06-08-10, 09:04 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
lsiberian wrote: View Post
We've had a few other recent discussions on the subject and the consensus is that whatever changes happen in a quality driver are inaudible and insignificant in the design. The favored break in procedure is to watch ones favorite movies while drinking ones favorite beverage and eating ones favorite snack. It seems this method produces a wonderful break in experience and leverages a positive pyschoacoustic effect.
That's a good one! I must remember that when I get my next set of speakers!

However, there is another side to this "Speaker Break in" situation..
Speakers never reach an ongoing state of constant "flexibility" of movement!

Speaker drivers are constantly changing their amount of "flexibility" on a day today basis!
This can be proven by turning on your system after it hasn't been used for at least 24hrs, and taking an SPL reading, setting all levels to 75dB..
Then play a movie at fairly high levels for half an hour and then take another SPL reading..
You will find that the previously set levels of 75dB have now changed..The degree of change depending on the efficiency of each speaker..
The difference may not be too noticeable to the ear, however there has been a change in the freeness of the movement in the individual drivers..which would tend to suggest that they stiffen up a little when not played for awhile..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #64 of 98 Old 10-05-10, 12:47 AM
Shackster
angelo dimitriadis

break in's are fact. not only for speakers, but every peice in between like amps,cables, and cd to dvd players. just my two cents.
post #65 of 98 Old 10-05-10, 01:04 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
angelod307 wrote: View Post
break in's are fact. not only for speakers, but every peice in between like amps,cables, and cd to dvd players.
Sorry, but there is absolutely zero factual evidence of any sort of change in use with anything other than transducers such as carts and loudspeaker drivers.
post #66 of 98 Old 10-05-10, 01:15 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
angelod307 wrote: View Post
break in's are fact. not only for speakers, but every peice in between like amps,cables, and cd to dvd players. just my two cents.
So which is it, just your two cents or a fact? Got any data, or even some sound reasoning to support a hypothesis on anything but speakers? Amps maybe, if capacitors have been discharged for a long while and need to reform the dielectric, but even that is a stretch.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #67 of 98 Old 10-05-10, 12:03 PM
Senior Shackster
gs

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
That's a good one! I must remember that when I get my next set of speakers!

However, there is another side to this "Speaker Break in" situation..
Speakers never reach an ongoing state of constant "flexibility" of movement!

Speaker drivers are constantly changing their amount of "flexibility" on a day today basis!
This can be proven by turning on your system after it hasn't been used for at least 24hrs, and taking an SPL reading, setting all levels to 75dB..
Then play a movie at fairly high levels for half an hour and then take another SPL reading..
You will find that the previously set levels of 75dB have now changed..The degree of change depending on the efficiency of each speaker..
The difference may not be too noticeable to the ear, however there has been a change in the freeness of the movement in the individual drivers..which would tend to suggest that they stiffen up a little when not played for awhile..
Speakers do warm up with use. Most of the changes are electrical, and cause a reduction in efficiency, and some shifts to the crossover responses. This heat gets out of the voice coil through small holes left in the back of certain drivers, and it conducts out through the magnets and pole pieces of all drivers. A driver being driven really hard may experience some warm-up of the spider, but in a home that would be pretty small, probably even hard to measure. I'm sure you can touch the surround on your woofer after it's been driven hard, and it won't be warm.

I haven't heard any claims from manufacturers that speaker surrounds get stiff if they are not used, except if the room gets very cold. Then the surrounds of some speakers can get stiff, and require a few hours to recover. What is the source of your claim that speakers stiffen up when not played.
post #68 of 98 Old 10-05-10, 01:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Michael

Everyone know that copper wire changes its molecular structure over time, thus causing an audible change in sound
Let the thread die...

Michael
post #69 of 98 Old 10-06-10, 05:54 AM
Shackster
angelo dimitriadis

fact. fact. fact. when power is applied to capacitors, yes they need to form(thus break in), i just replaced some in my ribbons and they sounded very odd for about 5 minutes and as i have been playing them, they have indeed gotten better sounding. but if you guy's do not buy into that kind of stuff, that's cool. i don't buy into thousand dollar cables, but then again, nothing in my setup has the ability to sound that much better with said cables. there are those though, that swear by them. i would say it is what you have been exposed to that really determines what is what. i have heard amps, cd players, preamps that started life on the bright sounding side only to mellow out after many hours of playing. i have been as of lately comparing my pioneer cld-704 laser disc player (late 90's) against a carver sda-490t cd player with tubes in the ouput stages. with the same artist(disc) in both players as i have two copies of the same cd. i a/b them and for the life of have not heard any ground breaking differences. they both sound the same though my pioneer vsx-1014 reciever (used as a pre) driving a carver tfm55 (recently refurbished at hi-tech by roland) to my al-III ribbons. ilogical, but there it is. there is nothing that i can hear that seperates the two as of yet. speaking of the amp, it too has gotten better sounding after a month now of playing. is all this subjective, sure. i can't hear what you hear, as so on. i am going to buy a new jolida cd player, and have been told by several people to get a better power cord as it will make a difference. the manufacturer will not take a return on the player until the breakin period of a week has gone by as they even say the unit will not be 100% sounding until has been played for that amount of time. logical, no. are those people crazy, no. they just have exceeded my knowledge and experience on such things. i would bet that you have not ever even tried any high end stuff to that end. 5k cd players with 10k amps and so on to be that informed on the fact or fiction part of it. but then again, neither am i. so. again, my 2 cents.
post #70 of 98 Old 10-07-10, 06:47 AM
Senior Shackster
gs

New ribbon tweeters could have a break-in period, even a warm-up. They are inefficient, and I expect they change parameters with use.

Well tubes do age, not just break in, they continuously change with life, and that sort of thing could be what people hear when they are claiming break-ins on something that lacks this characteristic.

Your CD player vendor is pretty smart. He knows that the longer you keep something the less likely you are to return it. He knows your ears will break in, not the CD player. And if that CD player is so "high end", why doesn't it come with a better power cord?