Driver Break in - Fact or Fiction? - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 98 Old 11-04-10, 04:11 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System
Re: Driver Break in - Fact or Fiction?

I had Bose 901s in 1976 and they played Frank Zappa to my satisfaction.

That out of the way, there is probably a break in for everything from toasters to amplifiers. Personally I believe that if the human element notices a difference its because They are now broken in to the particular item. Sort of like not smelling the pigs anymore after a week on the farm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 98 Old 02-21-11, 12:14 PM
Senior Shackster

I recently built three monitors and two subwoofers. I noticed a big change after a few hours of use. I also compared a new pair of Sennheiser HD600 with a pair a couple of years old and heavily listened to. Bass was noticeably weaker in the new pair. Its a matter of flexible parts loosening up to meet their operating state.
Further, many loudspeaker companies do burn in their drivers, such as Exodus from whom I recently purchased a Shiva X2 and Tempest X2 and ScanSpeak does too.
post #83 of 98 Old 05-12-11, 10:54 AM
Senior Shackster

deleted by poster

Last edited by Theresa; 05-12-11 at 11:06 AM.

post #84 of 98 Old 01-25-12, 02:08 PM
Senior Shackster

Thanks to all for this discussion; I learned a lot about the theory and practice of driver break-in.
Now I intend to play with it myself:
I just received a new sub driver which measures very differently from the manufacturer's published specs, so I'll try some of the break-in techniques mentioned in this thread and see what the results are-
Nothing like some direct experience to match my State motto: Show-Me.

Tom
post #85 of 98 Old 03-27-12, 07:05 PM
Shackster

My System

Fact. Good headphones, like the AKG-K701, really see an improvement with at least 100 hours of break in. Same with the full range drivers I've played with. Can't say much about commercial products although I believe some companies even break in the speakers before shipping.
post #86 of 98 Old 08-29-12, 03:52 PM
Senior Shackster

Hey fellows,

I know this is an old, and for some reason, still ongoing discussion.

I posted some measured data on this subject several years ago that can still be seen on our web site.

Here: http://www.gr-research.com/burnin.htm

And the real myths about burn in are taken on here: http://www.gr-research.com/myths.htm

Enjoy.
post #87 of 98 Old 11-14-12, 07:53 AM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System

Whenever I discuss breaking in speakers, the analogy I like to use is shoes. There is a break-in period that is related to the materials used and overall pliability. The process might take minutes, hours or days. Speakers are sneakers, subwoofers are boots. With subwoofers, I've measured an increase in (extreme) excursion at the same output levels over the first 10-20 hours. This correlates to frequent reports of 'improved low frequency extension'. With regular speakers, I'm not so sure there's any break-in to notice unless the speakers are used full-range and have exceptional bass extension... basically any speaker with large, high-excursion woofers. I'd wager more than a few dollars that in a new system, the subwoofer is the only component people actually hear 'break in' and that sometimes the improved overall dynamics are credited to speakers or some other component.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DIY HTPC - 32GB RAM, 4.4Ghz overclocked quad-core i5 CPU -- -- Crown XTi-2002 -- Crown XTi-1000 -- Mains: 4X Sony Xplod XS-GTX121LW 12" subwoofer/woofers & Selenium D3300Ti 2" Titanium Horn Driver (tweeter) -- Subwoofers - 4X DIY 12" Sony Xplod Ported - 16hz tune -- Pioneer Elite SC-55 AVR
post #88 of 98 Old 11-14-12, 04:57 PM
Senior Shackster

Actually Dub King the smaller drivers go through just as much mechanical compliance change as the larger ones. If you follow my links above you can see some measured time frames on a group of drivers that range from 5.5" to 6.5".

What most people actually hear is also contributed to the electrical burn in as well. Wire, dielectric material, films, etc, all go through a forming period that alters the signal transmission over the first 40 to 50 hours on some materials and up to 500 hours on material like polyethylene or Teflon.

From a good 400 to 500Hz and up it is the burn in changes of capacitors that are most discernible.

Speaker cables, interconnects, power cables and even electronics also go through these same effects.
post #89 of 98 Old 11-14-12, 05:09 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System

I don't believe power cables and interconnects go through burn-in. I'm open minded, but not to the point of believing in magic. I do agree smaller drivers go through compliance changes as well, and that any solid-state component that relies on chemistry will also show very small changes in performance, although I question whether this can really be heard. Surely this has all been debated by people smarter than I.

I'll tell you one thing... I've only met audiophiles and marketing/sales folks who believe in cable break-in. I don't run into producers or musicians or recording engineers who believe any of that. You will find me to be in the 'same as coat hangers' camp when it comes to running electricity through metal wires, and nothing in the last 30 years of music listening has managed to challenge that impression.

Subwoofers go through the greatest changes, that's where break-in has the most impact - followed by woofers.

Quote:
Danny Richie wrote: View Post
Actually Dub King the smaller drivers go through just as much mechanical compliance change as the larger ones. If you follow my links above you can see some measured time frames on a group of drivers that range from 5.5" to 6.5".

What most people actually hear is also contributed to the electrical burn in as well. Wire, dielectric material, films, etc, all go through a forming period that alters the signal transmission over the first 40 to 50 hours on some materials and up to 500 hours on material like polyethylene or Teflon.

From a good 400 to 500Hz and up it is the burn in changes of capacitors that are most discernible.

Speaker cables, interconnects, power cables and even electronics also go through these same effects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DIY HTPC - 32GB RAM, 4.4Ghz overclocked quad-core i5 CPU -- -- Crown XTi-2002 -- Crown XTi-1000 -- Mains: 4X Sony Xplod XS-GTX121LW 12" subwoofer/woofers & Selenium D3300Ti 2" Titanium Horn Driver (tweeter) -- Subwoofers - 4X DIY 12" Sony Xplod Ported - 16hz tune -- Pioneer Elite SC-55 AVR
post #90 of 98 Old 11-14-12, 05:40 PM
Senior Shackster

I wish you were close by. I'd change the way you think about everything by letting you listen to some comparisons. I have not had a visitor yet that couldn't easily hear the difference in a cable change whether it be power cables, speaker cables, or interconnects.

I can even let you get used to the system and swap out just one pair of interconnects for a fresh pair (no burn in) and again the difference is not hard to hear, especially if you know what to listen for.

There is a challenge here that you might be interested in: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...#axzz2CF7wwm4U

And cable break in isn't a believe in or not believe in type of deal. You either have experienced it or you have not.