cabinet/enclosure finishes - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 30 Old 11-12-07, 04:31 PM
Brian Bunge

Send a message via AIM to Brian Bunge Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Bunge
Re: cabinet/enclosure finishes

Here are my current speakers. Figured cherry veneer with the same boiled linseed oil finish that Darren described above (Thanks Darren!) and then 8 coats of gloss wipe-on polyurethane. I paid someone else to do the gloss black lacquer finish.

Here's the finished speaker in my living room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 11-13-07, 09:43 PM

Was just wondering, how smooth do you have to get the wood when applying wood veneer??
post #13 of 30 Old 11-14-07, 01:29 AM
FJ

They all look very nice. Nice work. For the first time I feel like building some speakers.

post #14 of 30 Old 11-14-07, 07:32 AM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Mongrel,
Smooth is not as important as flat. 100 grit smooth would be more than enough, provided that there are no high spots and that any low spots are filled.

If you are going to be veneering a lot of panels, I advise you to get a vacuum press. They are not cheap $150 to over $300, but you can apply veneer to two sides at the same time and the glue sets evenly with no bubbles. That's the budget-no-option right way to do it.

You can certainly us a J roller and apply it yourself. I have seen speakers that used that fake vinyl veneer (self-stick) that looked great.

Good luck.

I like this thread -- finishing is definitely the hardest thing to get right on a project and speakers are no exception.
post #15 of 30 Old 11-14-07, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Anthony wrote: View Post
Mongrel,
Smooth is not as important as flat. 100 grit smooth would be more than enough, provided that there are no high spots and that any low spots are filled.

If you are going to be veneering a lot of panels, I advise you to get a vacuum press. They are not cheap $150 to over $300, but you can apply veneer to two sides at the same time and the glue sets evenly with no bubbles. That's the budget-no-option right way to do it.

You can certainly us a J roller and apply it yourself. I have seen speakers that used that fake vinyl veneer (self-stick) that looked great.

Good luck.

I like this thread -- finishing is definitely the hardest thing to get right on a project and speakers are no exception.
Thanks for the quick answer, I'm currently getting everything flat and filled, I will probably use some of the parts express wood veneer, light color as I want to use a black stain with a satin finish, A helper of mine sugested "poping" the wood before staining, which is using a sponge to dampen the wood with water to open up the grain to better absorb the stain, has anyone heard or tried this before?
And man is that a fantastic speaker, beautifull finish and awesome design, very original.
post #16 of 30 Old 11-14-07, 07:47 PM
Brian Bunge

The PE veneer is a bit expensive, IMHO. I buy all of my veneer from Tape-Ease. They have great customer service and great prices.
post #17 of 30 Old 11-14-07, 09:53 PM

Wow been studying on veneering, alot to learn, lots of different opinions on contact cement also, any recomendations on cement??
post #18 of 30 Old 11-15-07, 05:38 AM
Brian Bunge

Re: Veneer glue

I use Titebond II wood glue spread on with a roller onto the cabinet and the veneer. Let the glue dry completely and then use an iron set to "Cotton" to iron it on. The heat reactivates the glue and gives you a hard glue line. The great thing about this is, NO FUMES! So I can veneer inside when it's 95 degrees outside! I don't think I'll ever use contact cement again!

There's a pretty simple step-by-step tutorial that I'll post if I can find it.
post #19 of 30 Old 11-15-07, 01:22 PM
Shackster
G

Quote:
Anthony wrote: View Post
We have a winner. That is definitely the weirdest DIY speaker I have ever seen. And it is gorgeous!!!

Great job on the finishing.

If you have any measurements or building pics/notes, please share them.

Oh, and welcome to the Shack!
Yeah, those look awesome. Please describe the veneering and finishing process. I'd love to try the high gloss look with similar veneer.
post #20 of 30 Old 11-15-07, 01:33 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Quote:
dlneubec wrote: View Post
Hi Ricci,

Thanks! There is not anything I would change. They sound fantastic, IMO. The only way I know to improve them would be to use higher end mids, like scanspeak 4" or 5", which might allow you to cross higher to perhaps a ribbon tweeter. A ribbon might be an imp[rovment because ot the limited vertical dispersion, which could be a plus with this design, since it would have the potential to reduce the impact of diffraction from the front edges of the baffles for the up and down firing midwoofers.

I live in Bloomington.
By the campus eh?

How many hours do you estimate that you have in those? Sorry to bombard you with questions. Great job on this finish and uniqueness. I would love to listen to them sometime.