cabinet/enclosure finishes - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 30 Old 10-10-07, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

cabinet/enclosure finishes

JCD has recently posted a pic of his new sub in the SWAMP, I thought it looked realy good and so got wondering what sort of finishes everyone is using on their projects so I thought I'd start this thread and hopefully people will post a small pic of their finishes (e.g piano finish, hammertone, veneer, etc) and a quick explanation of how they got it.

thanks all

Dr F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-10-07, 07:17 AM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Re: cabinet/enclosure finishes

Great idea. If this gains some momentum, we may even make it a sticky. So post those pics and finishing techniques guys!
post #3 of 30 Old 10-10-07, 12:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Darren

My favorite recipes:

1. 50/50 Boiled Linseed Oil and Poly blend (5 -10 coats)
Use 0000 steel wool to rub in the blended finish. Wait about half an hour and with lint free towel wipe in any shiny or wet spots that remain. Wait for another 20 minutes and repeat. Do this as many times as necessary until you get the desired depth of finish. By applying the finish with the steel wool you will end up with a very smooth, satin sheen finish that is fool proof. Zero runs or drips and completely flat. If you desire a gloss finish then wait a day and rub it out with 2000 to 4000 grit sandpaper with a little soapy water. Finish with rotten stone polish.

2. Sprayed Lacquer (10 coats)
This is one of my favorites. I often go up to 20 coats depending on the depth desired. Basically this is another fool proof finish because you can easily sand out lint, drips, runs etc... and re-coat until you get it right. You can leave the final coat nice and glossy without rubbing out or you can rub it out for a perfectly flat finish. You can generally spray a new coat every 20 minutes, it dries nice and fast.

3. Tung oil or boiled linseed oil cut with naptha
This is another great finish that is wonderful for furniture, gives it a nice satin feel and classic antiquie appearance with lots of depth to the wood grain. It's easy, just thin Tung oil or boiled linseed oil about 50/50 or 60/40 (60 Tung) and wipe the finish into the wood with a lint free cloth or with 0000 steel wool. I prefer steel wool as it knocks down the fibers for a velvety feel. Wait for half an hour and wipe in the wet spots. Repeat after dry as many times as you like but usually no less than 3 coats. I try for 10.

Darren

post #4 of 30 Old 10-15-07, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Very nice finishes.

C'mon people, how do you do it? I was hopeing someone has found a way to DIY there own hamertone finish or maybe even a wavey smooth finnish.
post #5 of 30 Old 10-15-07, 08:02 AM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

So far my two speaker projects have been:

Black subwoofer (spray paint without primer on MDF, I learned the hard way)
Painted speakers (copper/blue crackle finish -- neat lightning/aged effect).

My best finishing project was my equipment rack. Still painted, but I did everything right:
Sanded mdf
Spray Zinsser BIN primer, three coats, overlap the edges quite a bit.
Light sanding
Sprayed diluted black acrylic enamel paint, two coats.
Sprayed water-based poly, two coats
Lightly rubbed finish.

The end result was great. I'll snap some pics. Sadly the lesson learned is that great finishes take time and patience!
post #6 of 30 Old 10-17-07, 02:01 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

I figured I should go ahead and post a pic here too..

Both the sub and the speaker are skinned with a Lacewood veneer. The sub has three coats of a glossy polyeurothane, the speaker was coated by someone else, but I think it was just one coat of less glossy eurothane.

JCD
post #7 of 30 Old 10-17-07, 04:17 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus

Anthony

Great look to those. I love burled/birds-eye figure on woods. It's much better than all that boring straight grain and flat sawn stuff I use for everything else

Sadly that's usually all that's in my budget.

Good work.

For everyone's info: if you are going to finish a lot of things (a whole run of speakers, cabinets, a kitchen table), I highly recommend an HVLP sprayer and air compressor. They start at $100 up through $1000. I have a PC pancake compressor (not designed for painting, but it works for small projects) and a conversion HVLP gun with different tips and nozzles. The compressor was $200 and the gun w/nozzles was $150. Totally worth it: sprayed finishes go on much smoother and dry faster (because of the thinner coatings). I will try and post some pics this weekend.
post #8 of 30 Old 11-12-07, 08:25 AM
Shackster

Ken

Here is a MTM that I built a few years back, the enclosure was 3/4" mdf and I glued on 1/2" oak plywood. This time I tried using Tung oil, just wipe it on and off. I put on 4 coats. The corners are rounded over solid oak wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-12-07, 08:37 AM
Shackster

Ken

Darren, What was the process of the sprayed Lacquer, they came out great? Was this done using a hvlp gun or just a spray can (buzz bomb) of clear lacquer? Also, did you sand between coats?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #10 of 30 Old 11-12-07, 12:56 PM
Senior Shackster

Darren

ktaillon,

I used an HVLP gun and sanded between coats to elmininate high spots and fill the low spots. Just a lot of coats and patience