X-LS Encore and X-CS Encore build - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 19 Old 02-21-14, 01:22 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: X-LS Encore and X-CS Encore build

I have been using them with a 200 watt amp and pushed them pretty hard. Surprising little speaker.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 02-23-14, 03:00 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Danny Richie wrote: View Post
Keep in mind it is a mini-monitor with a 6.5" woofer. There is an SPL limit. Power handling has never been an issue. I have not had any fail from too much power. Even when I pounded on them with 400 watt Melos tube amps. They ate it up just fine.
This is what I'm worried about...reference level movie playback.

Quote:
mlundy57 wrote: View Post
I have been using the X-LS Encores and X-CS Encore (center channel) pictured in this thread in a 5.1 HT setup for the past six months and they don't disappoint.
Mike
I'm planning for a movie setup. Either Klipsch RF82+RC62 or 3 units of X-CS Encore as LCR. I want accurate & big sound for movies. I wonder if the X-CS (dual 6.5") can trounce the RF82 (dual 8").
I already have dual Rythmik FV15HP subwoofers. I'll be upgrading from Klipsch Synergy B3 bookshelf speakers.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-23-14, 08:04 AM
Senior Shackster

The MTM versions, X-Statik, and X-Voce are all 91db sensitivity and can hit those levels you're looking for pretty easily. So long as you're not clipping an amp they'll be fine and hit some pretty extreme levels with ease.

post #14 of 19 Old 02-23-14, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Skylinestar wrote: View Post
This is what I'm worried about...reference level movie playback.

I'm planning for a movie setup. Either Klipsch RF82+RC62 or 3 units of X-CS Encore as LCR. I want accurate & big sound for movies. I wonder if the X-CS (dual 6.5") can trounce the RF82 (dual 8").
I already have dual Rythmik FV15HP subwoofers. I'll be upgrading from Klipsch Synergy B3 bookshelf speakers.
Up until last week I had Klipsch RB-81II's and an RC-62II in my living room HT system (the X-LS & X-CS Encores are in my personal system upstairs). The X-LS Encores trounced the Klipsch's. That said I would prefer to have either three of the X-CS Encores as an LCR setup or the MTM version. Sensitivity is higher than the X-LS Encores and the second woofer really makes a difference.

The MTM version Danny mentioned is just the X-CS Encore in a larger ported floor standing tower than the smaller sealed enclosure of the X-CS Encore. Check out the attached picture.

Mike
Attachments
post #15 of 19 Old 02-24-14, 05:23 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Danny Richie wrote: View Post
The MTM versions, X-Statik, and X-Voce are all 91db sensitivity and can hit those levels you're looking for pretty easily. So long as you're not clipping an amp they'll be fine and hit some pretty extreme levels with ease.
Is that anechoic or in-room?

Quote:
Up until last week I had Klipsch RB-81II's and an RC-62II in my living room HT system (the X-LS & X-CS Encores are in my personal system upstairs). The X-LS Encores trounced the Klipsch's. That said I would prefer to have either three of the X-CS Encores as an LCR setup or the MTM version. Sensitivity is higher than the X-LS Encores and the second woofer really makes a difference.

The MTM version Danny mentioned is just the X-CS Encore in a larger ported floor standing tower than the smaller sealed enclosure of the X-CS Encore. Check out the attached picture.

Mike
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Could you please describe more of your RC62 vs X-CS experience?
post #16 of 19 Old 02-24-14, 09:05 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
That measurement is a 1 watt/1 meter measurement and not in an room measurement.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-24-14, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Could you please describe more of your RC62 vs X-CS experience?
First, both sets of speakers will play loud, much louder than I care to listen to them. In stereo mode (80 wpc with a NAD T748) the X-LS Encores registered 97.7dB at 3 meters. This was getting close to maxing out my amp (not to mention hurting my ears) so I didn't push it any further to avoid clipping. Since the X-CS Encores are about 4dB more sensitive, they will play louder with the same amount of power. To me, the second woofer has the X-CS Encores sounding a little fuller and don't take as much power as the X-LS Encores. That is why, if there is room for the larger cabinets I would recommend three X-CS Encores as LCR.

Then again, if you have room for the X-CS Encores on stands as LR mains you have room for the MTM floor standing version which will give you better low end extension.

With only one X-CS Encore and one RC-62II, both being used as center channels, it is a little difficult to make a direct comparison between the two. I can compare the X-LS Encores and the RB81-II's directly since I could switch the AVR (a Marantz SR5007 in the living room system) to stereo mode.

It is important to note that I upgraded all the Encore crossovers to include Sonicaps and Mills resistors.

As I stated earlier in this post, both sets of speakers will play loud. Louder than I can stand them so I would consider them equal in this regard.

Now for the differences. I would characterize the Klipsch's as being on the bright side and the louder they are played the brighter they sound. I would describe the Encores as being smoother, more articulate, clearer, cleaner, and more transparent. By more transparent I mean if you listen to the two speakers side by side, the Klipsch's sound fine until you switch to the Encores. In comparison, the Klipsch's sound like they are playing through a veil. Not to the same degree as I have heard with some other speakers but it is there.

Also, the Encores do a better job when it comes to listening at low volume levels, which is something I do quite often at night after my wife has gone to bed.

Not sure if I am getting at what you are wanting to know or not. Hope this is helpful.

Mike
post #18 of 19 Old 02-25-14, 08:34 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
First, both sets of speakers will play loud, much louder than I care to listen to them. In stereo mode (80 wpc with a NAD T748) the X-LS Encores registered 97.7dB at 3 meters. This was getting close to maxing out my amp (not to mention hurting my ears) so I didn't push it any further to avoid clipping. Since the X-CS Encores are about 4dB more sensitive, they will play louder with the same amount of power. To me, the second woofer has the X-CS Encores sounding a little fuller and don't take as much power as the X-LS Encores. That is why, if there is room for the larger cabinets I would recommend three X-CS Encores as LCR.

Then again, if you have room for the X-CS Encores on stands as LR mains you have room for the MTM floor standing version which will give you better low end extension.

With only one X-CS Encore and one RC-62II, both being used as center channels, it is a little difficult to make a direct comparison between the two. I can compare the X-LS Encores and the RB81-II's directly since I could switch the AVR (a Marantz SR5007 in the living room system) to stereo mode.

It is important to note that I upgraded all the Encore crossovers to include Sonicaps and Mills resistors.

As I stated earlier in this post, both sets of speakers will play loud. Louder than I can stand them so I would consider them equal in this regard.

Now for the differences. I would characterize the Klipsch's as being on the bright side and the louder they are played the brighter they sound. I would describe the Encores as being smoother, more articulate, clearer, cleaner, and more transparent. By more transparent I mean if you listen to the two speakers side by side, the Klipsch's sound fine until you switch to the Encores. In comparison, the Klipsch's sound like they are playing through a veil. Not to the same degree as I have heard with some other speakers but it is there.

Also, the Encores do a better job when it comes to listening at low volume levels, which is something I do quite often at night after my wife has gone to bed.

Not sure if I am getting at what you are wanting to know or not. Hope this is helpful.

Mike
Thanks. I really appreciate your comment.

Now...I wonder how the X-CS fare against Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE speakers. Product link here
post #19 of 19 Old 02-25-14, 11:47 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Thanks. I really appreciate your comment.

Now...I wonder how the X-CS fare against Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE speakers. Product link here
The CMT's have some nice woofers. Their tweeter is very much like that of the X-LS Classic. It's a nice inexpensive dome tweeter. But the tweeter used in the Encore series kits is one of the best dome tweeters available at any price: http://gr-research.com/gr-t3tweeter-1.aspx So there is quiet bit of an advantage there.

The weakness of the CMT is in the crossover.

The electrolytic caps and sand caste resistors will definitely hold back the performance.

By contrast the X-CS Encore uses all poly caps, air core inductors, high quality wire wound resistors, and even a Gen.2 Sonicap by-pass cap in the tweeter circuit. And all of this is on circuit board with thick Copper traces.