Zaph Audio ZA5.3t (Madisound) Build - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 35 Old 05-12-14, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System
Re: Zaph Audio ZA5.3t (Madisound) Build

The baffles.

I have my template lined up with a baffle. Use the ⅛" drill bit used to make the holes in the template as a transfer punch to locate the hole centers on the surface of the baffle. Be sure to transfer ALL holes at the same time.

Drill the holes out to ⅛" for the pivot pin on the Jasper jig.

Mount a backer board and use the same process used with the port hole in the back. When transferring the flange thickness to the router stop be sure to compress the gasket. This will insure a flush registration between the driver and the front surface of the baffle. When you compress the gasket trying to remove the calipers will probably tear the gasket so take note of the measurement, loosen the calipers and reset the measured value on the calipers. Then lock them down and zero as before.

Nice. These are acceptable. BTW the drawing specs the outer flange dim as 5" - nope - 5-7/16". that was just 1/128" over the 5-55/128" measurement I took with the calipers. No ugly gaps this time. The tweeters worked with the dims from the drawing with no play. Measure - YMMV.

Full disclosure notice: I messed up on the first baffle on the last hole and had to re-cut the blank. That's why the first cut pics show pencil lines but the finals don't. edit: Those were the wrong pics anyway so I deleted them.

7.1 System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Center - Infinity Video 1
Surrounds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

Content source - WDTV Live Hub Media Server

Last edited by GCG; 05-12-14 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 05-27-14, 08:37 PM
Shackster

ovillegas

My System

Impressive job on the accuracy of your cuts!!

I will be building these speakers some time as we'll, so I can't wait to see them finished and read a review about how they sound

I just ordered 4 ZA5.2 for my surrounds since I have decent fronts and center, but eventually these towers will replace my current ones.
post #33 of 35 Old 06-02-14, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

Sorry for the lack of updates but we've been in negotiations for selling the house and buying the new one. I've made some progress and taken some pictures but haven't had the time to upload the pics and generate a post. I need to get these finished to a point they can be easily transported to free up the garage to be packed up.

I'll post progress as time permits.

7.1 System

Surrounds -
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

post #34 of 35 Old 06-03-14, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

I've said that I'm going to set these up to accept bi-amping. As I've read around various forums it's clear that passive AVR bi-amping doesn't get much support. Can't say that I can argue since I've never bi-amped before and to my knowledge I haven't heard a system where the practice was used. I had a little time at work during lunch and decided to work up a speadsheet of the reactance values throughout the crossovers and see if that would shed any light on the subject.

At the end of each section (Tweeter/Woofer) I've calculated the total impedance presented to the amplifier for that section and the power the amp would develop to drive that load. For a power reference I used the Pioneer spec for my SC-71 into 4Ω - 180w. I then calculated a peak voltage that would exist at that power and 4Ω load - 37.9V. I used that Peak voltage to calculate the the power developed by the amp at the various frequencies. I know that the 180w figure probably has more to do with UL ratings than an accurate estimation of the power supply rail voltages but it's all I had to go on.

The kicker here seems to be C11, the little cap John (Zaph) inserted to tame woofer cone breakup. It also holds the woofer crossover overall impedance down at higher frequencies which forces the amp to develop the power to drive it. If not bi-amped this power (total unused as audio) would just bleed off power that could otherwise be allocated to high freq. transients. Not saying it would be an audible improvement but at the very least it would reduce the power demands on the front channels and redistribute them to channels that were otherwise unused. That might add a couple of more years of life to the box.

7.1 System

Surrounds -
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)

post #35 of 35 Old 06-19-14, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

First, I'm sorry but no pictures. Selling and buying houses is taking most of my time.

I have completed the speakers. I primed them and as previously stated I gave them two coats of black gloss enamel with the expectation of giving them two more coats of satin clear lacquer. With just the gloss they look terrible. The humidity was up and every single brush stroke is visible, no leveling at all.

But all of that may be academic. They sound good but they don't sound as good as my Infinity's. Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting them to blow the Infinity's out of the water, but they don't come close enough to warrant using them as a replacement. To tell the truth I had my doubts coming in but I thought I'd give it a shot. The footprint difference was attractive. Also the Infinity's are a little long in the tooth (they stopped making them in 1982 I believe) and it can only be a matter of time before the EMIT's go out.

I have the Zaphs setup in my living room now and they will run non-stop till we move (very soon, now). That should give them the time to open up enough to let me know if they'll meet the challenge. I have to admit, I have serious doubts.

All that said they do sound very good, especially considering the size of the drivers. The detail is excellent and the tonal balance is very good, just a little treble bright for my and my wife's taste. I'm expecting them to open up a little after they break in some and I'll give them another chance, but if they don't pass muster they'll be a gift for my son.

7.1 System

Surrounds -
(in ceiling)
Rears -
(in ceiling)