Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   DIY Speakers (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-speakers/)
-   -   Best MTM kit/plan for 70% HT, 30% music (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-speakers/8292-best-mtm-kit-plan-70-ht-30-music.html)

mrstampe 12-29-07 01:21 AM

Best MTM kit/plan for 70% HT, 30% music

What is the best performing MTM plan or kit for 70% HT / 30% music in 6.1 surround in a medium sized room, paired with an SDX15 sub, at about $150-200 in parts per speaker?

A few designs to consider, but feel free to add to the choices...

Raw Acoustics HT-2 (Boxing Week sale $299/pr + $49 s/h) - WR125 x 4, RA104.5 ribbons x 2, x-over components, CNC'ed baffles x 2, magnetic grills, crossover and cabinet plans.

GR Research A/V-3 ($329/pr) - M-130 x 4, GR-T2 x 2, "proprietary network", cabinet design.

CSS EL-3 ($199/pr + $15 s/h) - WR125 x 4, HiVi SS1 II x 2, crossover components, ports, binding posts, stuffing and wire.

Parts Express Dr. K's MTM ($380/pr) - RS180 x 4, RS28 x 2, crossover components, binding posts, port.

ZaphAudio Vifa XG18 / Seas 27TDFC ($322/pr) - drivers only

Thanks for weighing in!

mrstampe 12-29-07 06:05 PM

Re: Best MTM kit/plan for 70% HT, 30% music

If anyone could make comparisons between the listed designs, that would be helpful too. Also if one driver package really stands out as a great deal compared to the others, I would find that information helpful.

Anthony 12-29-07 06:21 PM

I don't have any direct experience with any of these. However, Zaph always posts detailed reviews and measurements of his speakers, so you know what you are getting into ahead of time.

GR-Research has a decent reputation, and the kits are all-inclusive. Raw Acoustics as well, has a good reputation. I think they both have manuf. forums over at www.audiocircle.com

I have not built a PE design yet, but I do buy most of my drivers and crossover parts there.

The others I'm not as familiar with.

So it's not a full review, but hopefully that helps a little.
Anthony

bonehead848 12-29-07 08:25 PM

If it were me I would build the set from zaph. You will always overpay a little when buying a kit. I built a pair of his BAMTM last year and absolutely love them. I have huge respect for John's designs and would build any one of them without hesitation.

On another note, have you considered the Nat P? I believe those are around your price range and are very very popular.

cixelsid 12-30-07 11:02 AM

The first 3 listed use very small drivers so the overall output will be problematic if you have anything but a small room.

People posting on the PE forum have preferred either Roman Bednarek's 2.5 MTM or JonMarsh's NatP over the Dr K's.

Roman's website has an interesting comparison between the 3 designs.

mazersteven 12-30-07 11:23 AM

cixelsid 12-30-07 02:21 PM

Quote:

mazersteven wrote: (Post 70010)
Save and do it right the first time. LOL

Actually that's an example of "do it wrong the first time"

Those attentive to the Thor threads on several DIY forums will know Joe D's TL box design is flawed, and there are issues with the crossover as well.

The Thor is a moot point for this thread given it's cost....

mazersteven 12-30-07 02:34 PM

Quote:

cixelsid wrote: (Post 70041)
Actually that's an example of "do it wrong the first time"

Those attentive to the Thor threads on several DIY forums will know Joe D's TL box design is flawed, and there are issues with the crossover as well.

The Thor is a moot point for this thread given it's cost....

That is the first time I have heard of those issues with the Thor's. Something I will have to look into.

mrstampe 12-31-07 12:50 PM

In reference to Zaph's MTM, he posted comments on the high distortion characteristics of the Vifa XG18 and had this to say about that MTM (link):

Quote:

I guess I can pull that XG18 MTM design off my website now, I don't think it's likely to be built anymore.
Guess that one's off the table...

The WR125s will likely be too small as some have pointed out.

Thanks, cixelsid and bonehead, for the Nat P suggestion. I'm starting to wonder though, if an MTM is going to cut it SPL-wise when it comes to HT applications. With a sub to fill the <80Hz demands, will I be dissapointed in this design. Should I instead be considering something like Dennis Murphy WMTW or TMWW, or something comparable (hope to not exceed my budget by much).

bonehead848 12-31-07 01:05 PM

An mtm, especially something as capable as the nat p, should have no problem getting to very high spl when crossed over with a sub. I have heard that when you drive an mtm full range you should limit the input to around 100W, but when you add a sub and xover that limit disappears. The only advantage IMO to go with a tmww or similar is if you plan on running them full range. Dont forget to buy a nice amp like the behringer a500 to really get everything out of an mtm as you can.