Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   DIY Speakers (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-speakers/)
-   -   Official DIY Dolby Atmos thread (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-speakers/95393-official-diy-dolby-atmos-thread.html)

ellisr63 10-04-14 05:25 PM

Official DIY Dolby Atmos thread

I know there are a lot of bright people on this forum that are into making their own speakers... So since Dolby Atmos is the latest, and requires special speakers for the height channels... I decided to put this thread up to see what designs people are thinking of building to make their own Dolby Atmos height channels. I my self am interested in making a set down the road, but I need to try and make something that will also be light as it will be the in ceiling design.

From what I have read there are 2 variations of the height channels...
1: In Ceiling or on Ceiling facing downward
2: Above your existing speakers facing upward at an angle to reflect off of a predetermined spot on the ceiling.

The downside to #1 as far as I can see is the speakers will not be able to have much size in the average HT (unless you have high ceilings.

The down side to #2 is that you cannot have ceiling treatments where the speaker needs to be reflecting for height channels.

Feel free to post up your ideas and concerns about DIY Dolby Atmos Height channel speakers. :T

Mike Edwards 10-04-14 05:27 PM

I'm going g to be making some volt 8 or 10 coaxials for the job. They'll work perfectly

ellisr63 10-04-14 05:28 PM

Re: Official DIY Dolby Atmos thread

I will put up my idea... I have no idea whether or not this would work at all.

What if you horn loaded a full range driver and mounted it on your side walls facing upward, and had it flare out like a horn, bend 90 degrees at the ceiling, and bend 90 degrees more (ending up facing downward)at the predetermined height channel location?

ellisr63 10-04-14 05:29 PM

Quote:

Mike Edwards wrote: (Post 938905)
I'm going g to be making some volt 8 or 10 coaxials for the job. They'll work perfectly

Mike, are you going to be making the in ceiling type or the ones that fire upward and reflect downward?

ellisr63 10-04-14 05:32 PM

Quote:

Mike Edwards wrote: (Post 938905)

I just looked at them, and I noticed the 8" actually goes down 5hz lower than the 10"... Is that correct?

Mike Edwards 10-04-14 05:37 PM

That's correct. The 8 is ported and the 10 sealed. The 10 can go lower in a ported box but you have to double the size of the box.

They both are supposed to sound so similar that you can't tell the difference especially if using as surrounds

ellisr63 10-04-14 05:43 PM

Quote:

Mike Edwards wrote: (Post 938953)
That's correct. The 8 is ported and the 10 sealed. The 10 can go lower in a ported box but you have to double the size of the box.

They both are supposed to sound so similar that you can't tell the difference especially if using as surrounds

Would horn loading the 8" increase the efficiency?

Mike Edwards 10-04-14 05:49 PM

Quote:

ellisr63 wrote: (Post 938961)
Would horn loading the 8" increase the efficiency?

don't think so, especially since they are pretty wide range and VERY high efficiency coaxial drivers...95 DB sensitivity drivers can be driven to insane spl levels with even a basic receiver

ellisr63 10-04-14 05:55 PM

Quote:

Mike Edwards wrote: (Post 938969)
don't think so, especially since they are pretty wide range and VERY high efficiency coaxial drivers...95 DB sensitivity drivers can be driven to insane spl levels with even a basic receiver

So are you planning on making a box and attaching it to the ceiling? I am worried about weight as we have a double layer drywall ceiling with hat channels.

Mike Edwards 10-04-14 05:55 PM

Quote:

ellisr63 wrote: (Post 938977)
So are you planning on making a box and attaching it to the ceiling? I am worried about weight as we have a double layer drywall ceiling with hat channels.

yup, just do a standard cube box and hang them from the ceiling studs