Complete newbie (I mean really new...!) looking for a simple project to learn from - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 19 Old 03-14-08, 09:34 PM
Senior Shackster
tim

Re: Complete newbie (I mean really new...!) looking for a simple project to learn from

Quote:
darrenh wrote: View Post
Hi guys

Questions:

Can I create a passive sub and use an external (inexpensive) stereo amp to drive it?
Do I need to use a crossover?

I love the look of those cylindrical subs!

So much to learn!!! Please be gentle with me!
Yes you can build a passive sub and use a cheap plate amp...I had a 12" sub in a sealed box with a $125 plate amp that killed my current 15" TC sound sub and Buttkicker amp.

Most plate amps will come with a crossover.

There is a TON of info here on building sonosubs...go for it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 03-15-08, 06:28 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Complete newbie (I mean really new...!) looking for a simple project to learn from

What is the Xmax of this sub? Are you intending to use it for home theater?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #13 of 19 Old 03-15-08, 12:38 PM
darrenh
Inactive

THe xmax of the sub is 11mm (alledgedly - I had to do some trawling as the info didn't come with the speaker). I would like to use it for home theatre, but we do not have acres of space for a big sub. I also have not been able to source a cheap sub plate amp. I have been looking for someone who has accidently stuck their foot through their driver and would like to sell me the rest of their sub!!! I think the cheapest plate amp I have able to find is £90 ($180!)

What is an EBS3 vented sub?

Thanks for everyone's inputs to date

post #14 of 19 Old 03-15-08, 12:44 PM
Senior Shackster
tim

Quote:
darrenh wrote: View Post

What is an EBS3 vented sub?

Thanks for everyone's inputs to date

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/ported5.htm

the 3 refers to being an extra 3db down from the drivers res freq.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-15-08, 04:14 PM
darrenh
Inactive

hmmmm.... had a look at the link.... I kind of understand, but the 'side-effect' looks like a larger box requirement as a trade off for deeper bass? Also, how can I model this in Win ISD?
post #16 of 19 Old 03-15-08, 04:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Warmon

It's in a drop down box on the "chose alignment" screen - right after you pick vented and next. Yeah, you should get a box tune at Fs of driver or a little less - in your case 30.

PS, we can help you find an amp that will be lower than 180...

Warmon - "know what I mean Vern"

Last edited by Warmon; 03-15-08 at 04:43 PM. Reason: amp
post #17 of 19 Old 03-15-08, 05:14 PM
darrenh
Inactive

Quote:
Warmon wrote: View Post
It's in a drop down box on the "chose alignment" screen - right after you pick vented and next. Yeah, you should get a box tune at Fs of driver or a little less - in your case 30.

PS, we can help you find an amp that will be lower than 180...
I have been looking through the site a little and come across Apex Jr who has a Cerwin Vega 220V amp plate for $55. I have just emailed Steve to find out if he can ship to the UK and for how much... (plus I have to add 20% import duty on!)

I think I can't find the drop down box is because I only have Win ISD Beta rather than the pro version. For some reason pro doesnt like shutting down on my PC and causes an error....
post #18 of 19 Old 03-15-08, 06:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Warmon

In that case, I suggest you take your #6 plot, change the tune to 30 and then adjust the volume up until you get a curve that looks very similar. That Cerwin Vega 220V amp is great!..if you have 220v outlet nearby. At one time I was gonna buy a couple of these and run me some 220 circuits...

Warmon - "know what I mean Vern"
post #19 of 19 Old 03-22-08, 08:04 AM
darrenh
Inactive

Quote:
Warmon wrote: View Post
In that case, I suggest you take your #6 plot, change the tune to 30 and then adjust the volume up until you get a curve that looks very similar. That Cerwin Vega 220V amp is great!..if you have 220v outlet nearby. At one time I was gonna buy a couple of these and run me some 220 circuits...
Got one on order! Was sent yesterday, so will probably be with me in two weeks or so... I was thinking of mounting it in its own box so I can use it to power various boxes as I start playing.