help with JL Audio 10w3v3 Ported Sub for home theater - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 01-15-15, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Michael

help with JL Audio 10w3v3 Ported Sub for home theater

This will be my 1st home speaker build. From what i have read home subs are a great starting point. My long term goal is to build all my speakers (using other's proven designs).

1st off I have built half a dozen or so car sub boxes with good results. I have always used the manufacturers recommended specs. This is my 1st time using WINisd. I did read the great section on getting started with WINisd but would like someone to double check my results.

Speaker Parameters
Qts: .485
Qms: 7.017
Qes: .521
Vas: 1.138 ft^3
Fs: 31.49hz
SPL: 84.89dB
Re: 3.560ohm
Pe: 500W
Xmax: 14mm or .55in
Dd: 8.25in
Sd: 53.48 in^2
Z: 4 ohm

WINisd box volume recommendations
2.407^3 tuned to 25.45hz

WINisd Port recommendations
4" diameter 18.71" length

My design using Sketchup
internal volume 13.75x13.75x22.5 this is before subtracting brace material

When I am able I will post my Sketchup design.

Last edited by TXDeerHunter; 01-15-15 at 01:16 PM. Reason: unable to post images still
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-15-15, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Michael

Re: help with JL Audio 10w3v3 Ported Sub for home theater

Hmm I did something to mess up the photos or may have not waited long enough after my 5th post
post #3 of 8 Old 01-15-15, 07:52 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

The WinISD recommendation seems sound, and a 4" port should be enough for the 10".

How did you try to attach the pictures, maybe just try again?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-15-15, 07:59 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

What are you going to power the sub with? It could handle up to about 300W rms with an HPF (2nd-order 20 Hz).
Attached Thumbnails
help with JL Audio 10w3v3 Ported Sub for home theater-10.png  

post #5 of 8 Old 01-17-15, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Michael

Going to power it with a Dayton SPA 500 (500 Watts RMS). I am thinking about spending a little more and getting the Dayton SA1000. I know this is overkill but it is external and will allow me to use it to play with different speaker designs easier than taking the plate amp and moving from one design to the next.

Here is what I got from WinISD Pro

Here is my design using Sketchup

Outside box

Inside Box

Top View

post #6 of 8 Old 01-17-15, 07:35 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Looks good to me. And either amp would be more than enough power and the built in HPFs would probably be enough to protect the driver just be very careful to keep the volume and gains down so you don't overdrive the W3.

You can add an 18 Hz 3rd order HPF to your winISD design, that's what I believe is built into the Dayton 500 and 1000 W sub amps.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-15, 10:02 PM
Shackster

Nice plans. Just make sure to integrate the bracing so that is supports the port.

I would suggest to measure the T & S parameters if you have the means... I would worry too much but the values may be different then data sheet states.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-15, 04:21 PM
Senior Shackster

morca

Quote:
Gaugster wrote: View Post
Nice plans. Just make sure to integrate the bracing so that is supports the port.

I would suggest to measure the T & S parameters if you have the means... I would worry too much but the values may be different then data sheet states.

The data sheet is fine,i build more than one vented sub using a JL driver.
I Never run in to any problems.

Simulation is no substitute for thought.