New budget sub released by Jaycar. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 19 Old 06-10-08, 06:53 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: New budget sub released by Jaycar.

Thanks for the link, drf. Out of curiousity I e-mailed them asking what the Xmax is. Hopefully they will reply.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 06-10-08, 08:41 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

That looks quite nice for an inexpensive woofer. I wonder how it would do in something like a 3 way tower design, where it wouldn't have to play as low as a dedicated sub. On the other hand, it does look like it could still be used to supplement a small system, as long as expectations are reasonable.

- OJ -

post #13 of 19 Old 06-10-08, 01:11 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Didn't know if you caught it but that sub is shielded. The 2nd slug is a bucking magnet. Still looks like a good value sub though. Nice size spider and surround on it.

post #14 of 19 Old 06-15-08, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Didn't know if you caught it but that sub is shielded. The 2nd slug is a bucking magnet. Still looks like a good value sub though. Nice size spider and surround on it.
I did a little testing and that second magnet doesn't buck anything. The magnetic field from this sucker is quite strong and quite large. I believe* the idea with having a second ring is to extend the linear range of the VC without excesively increasing the cost of production.

Whilst I didn't get much time to play this weekend I did manage to get a new RS meter and am learning how to use it with REW. I did have ago with REW sometime ago but for the life of me I couldn't get it to work with my old gear.

*most logical explanation I can think of for having two rings slightly apart versus one large ring.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-22-08, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

I hate being a full time single parent , This weekend I only had time to throw the sub into a small sealed enclosure and have a quick play. The results weren't worth measuring so I when I get more time I will try a slightly larger enclosure and try a few test tones. From my experiments so far I don't think this sub is going to come anywere near its modeled predictions.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-22-08, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
Thanks for the link, drf. Out of curiousity I e-mailed them asking what the Xmax is. Hopefully they will reply.
The specs as shown are average for a twelve inch woofer. What separates the men from the boys is xmax, and not knowing that makes suitablility as a sub an unknown quantity. Even $30USD is too much for a pig in a poke.
post #17 of 19 Old 06-22-08, 01:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

I did get a reply back from Jaycar. They said the only specs thet had were posted on the website. Not surprising really, considering the price.

We're all in this together!

post #18 of 19 Old 06-25-08, 05:59 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

Looks like a wanna-be JL audio driver - which is cool because I like the dish cone look. I'm tired of dusk caps on subwoofers - I want more sexiness in my drivers. TC/AP, SS, and JL all do a good job of it and this driver doesn't look bad so why can't I have middle of the road drivers look good?!
post #19 of 19 Old 07-25-08, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Well, as is usuall with all my adventures, they are taking a long time to piece together.

However I have managed to try a few enclosures and discovered that this sub really sucks in a 4th order bandpass box. I think there is just way too much tweeking to be done to warrant using this sub in this allignment. However I did try them out in some small sealed boxs. Red is the response I got without room treatment or equalisation.

New budget sub released by Jaycar.-twocheapies.jpg

As you can see its pretty ordinary. So I built this transform and power supply and wacked that in the mix.

New budget sub released by Jaycar.-ltransform.jpg New budget sub released by Jaycar.-ps.jpg

The Cyan is measured with levels set to 75 and the blue is set to 80.