New budget sub released by Jaycar. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 06-08-08, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

New budget sub released by Jaycar.

Whilst browsing for some spare parts I noticed Jaycar (Australia) had a new Sub released this year. Produced for the brand Re/sponse, which is a pretty well respected brand here. They are only A$49. rated 225watts rms (500 peak) @ 8Ohms with an Fs of 31Hz. From the spec's they look like they'd make a pretty awesome music sub. At $50 I bought one to have a play with and thought I'd post my experience. These seem to be somewhere in the middle of the road as far as subs go so I am going to model and build a couple of enclosures (including one for the car) and we'll see where I end up.

First couple of graphs I have modeled using small enclosures:
New budget sub released by Jaycar.-graph.jpg

Yellow: 18.5 litre sealed enclosure.
Grey: 20litre ported enclosure tuned to 25Hz.
Red: 20 litre sealed with a linkwitz transform circuit, I expect I'll need twice the power in my amp and I haven't tested the driver yet for its compatability with this enclosure.

Next some happy snaps of the actuall driver and some more specifics on some of the enclosures.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-08-08, 06:59 AM
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Send a message via MSN to Blaser
Re: New budget sub released by Jaycar.

Hi Drf,

Too little info about the driver! I can't call the yellow and white curves "subwoofers". The red one seems much better but looks to be like quite theoretical for a 20 L sub (although I have now idea about the driver).

Any idea about excursion? FR?...

ASME AI
Yamaha RX-V2500, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Fronts, Wharfedale Diamond CM Center, Diamond DFS Surround and rear, Behringer FBQ 2496, Dual RL-P18s 625L LLTs, Dual TA-2400 Pro (2 * 2000 W Amp), Samsung HD870 DVD player, Carada BW 16:9 106" screen, Epson TW-2000, 60 Gb PS3
Important HT proverbs:
- "You can never have too much headroom" (talking about bass)
- "you can never have too big a screen" (talking about still pictures)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-08-08, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Their are no excursion details and the freq graph that comes with the driver probably isn't that accurate.

New budget sub released by Jaycar.-freq.jpg

All the graphs are theoretical. The red one is after applying a linkwitz transform circuit. I honestly think I can get this sub to go halfway between the red and grey lines in reality, but I doubt I will get results as good as the red model. Remeber this sub is only about $30 american, so it is very cheap. Do you know how to calculate or measure the excursion with any degree of accuracy? I would be interested to know if this can be done. I will try and measure my own response graph for this driver but it will require some time for me to get my gear together.

post #4 of 19 Old 06-08-08, 12:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Without driver specs, it's not possible to expect anything.

ASME AI
Yamaha RX-V2500, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Fronts, Wharfedale Diamond CM Center, Diamond DFS Surround and rear, Behringer FBQ 2496, Dual RL-P18s 625L LLTs, Dual TA-2400 Pro (2 * 2000 W Amp), Samsung HD870 DVD player, Carada BW 16:9 106" screen, Epson TW-2000, 60 Gb PS3
Important HT proverbs:

post #5 of 19 Old 06-08-08, 02:23 PM
Senior Shackster

eyekode

By eyeballing the graphs it looks like you have 18db of boost at 20hz in the LT circuit. This is going to seriously eat into your headroom.

For 30$ I would doubt it could handle much more then 200w. Lets say 256 to make the math easy . With 18db of boost 4w at 100hz would mean 256w at 20hz. And my guess is that for 30$ you will run out of Xmax before you run out of thermal power handling.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-08-08, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
drf
drf

More than likely.

One of the major drawbacks to using a linkwitz transform is the reduction in headroom.
This maywell be moot point though because I haven't tested the driver to see if it can handle a transform.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-10-08, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Well, I got it out of the box and this is what it looks like:

New budget sub released by Jaycar.-side.jpg

New budget sub released by Jaycar.-front.jpg

New budget sub released by Jaycar.-rear.jpg
post #8 of 19 Old 06-10-08, 04:56 AM
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

For the money paid...this driver looks pretty good it seems to have some excursion too

Nevertheless without driver T/S parameters you'll have to make a trial and error until you reach the correct box. size / configuration... Sorry

ASME AI
Important HT proverbs:

post #9 of 19 Old 06-10-08, 05:25 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

drf, do you have a link for this sub? All I can find on their website is a 10" RESPONSE SUBWOOFER for $199.00 AUD.

We're all in this together!

post #10 of 19 Old 06-10-08, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...=&SUBCATID=396

Their website is a little backwards at times, I found this sub in their car audio section .

Blaser the T/S parameters are provided, I thought when you asked about excursion and FR I didn't realise you meant T/S aswell. Anyways, the T/S is all in the link.

I have also started pluging 91-130 litre enclosures into winisd and the results aren't too bad.