Planning My IB - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 24 Old 07-02-08, 08:28 PM
Shackster
Trevor

Re: Planning My IB

I think this is what I would do if I was you.

Just put in a door somewhere in that corner and you should be good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 07-02-08, 08:38 PM
Shackster
Trevor

I forgot to ask.

Are you on a tight budget for your subs? Why I ask, because if you werent I would up your budget to 400 and get 2 Fi ib18's for you theater.

Just thought I would ask.
post #13 of 24 Old 07-02-08, 11:24 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
titch-- wrote: View Post
I forgot to ask.

Are you on a tight budget for your subs? Why I ask, because if you werent I would up your budget to 400 and get 2 Fi ib18's for you theater.

Either that or plan now for adding another pair of 15's in the future in case you decide the original pair is not enough.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #14 of 24 Old 07-03-08, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
ZAR

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think this is what I would do if I was you.

Just put in a door somewhere in that corner and you should be good to go.
I am planning on putting a door there and having an opening.
Quote:
I forgot to ask.

I'm getting the impression that either larger drivers or more drivers will be needed.
I can get 4 AE 15" for $400. 4 FI15, I think, would be close in cost so either is fine by me.

Putting the woofers in the wall would be the easiest, but as mentioned, a monifold could work. Is there an advantage to either?
Problem with the manifold is I would have to have two of them, unless anyone knows of a configuration which has a low profile and the drivers would not raise the center channel higher than 18".
post #15 of 24 Old 07-03-08, 05:36 PM
Shackster
Trevor

Again this is what I would do.

I would get 4 drivers. You can get 2 now and get 2 later or all at once, which ever you want/afford. Then I would make 2 manifolds one manifold for 2 drivers.

You should measure for the best location for you subs, but with the 2 manifolds you'll be fine.

Anyways I would stick one manifold opening just inside your left main speaker on the wall and the other manifold opening just inside your right main speaker. As per the pic below.

This pic is just to give you a idea of what the back will look like.
post #16 of 24 Old 07-03-08, 05:58 PM
Shackster
Trevor

Well since I still have paint open I will show you something eles that you should do as well. Very easy.

Since the one manifold by your left main speaker is so close to the wall, you should put atleast 4" of some good fiberglass insulation along that wall. This is done to cancel any waves from bouncing back to the driver. You can see the new red line I made in this pic.

cheers
post #17 of 24 Old 07-04-08, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
ZAR

Great,, Thanks,, All exterior wall are insulated with 6" fiberglass and the front wall of the IB room is insulated with 3" rockwall, inside the IB room is the 6" fiberglass and 3" rockwool. I hope that will be enough to cancel any waves.
Ill start researching size shape of manifold for the fi15" and port size and see how well this fits into the wall.

Thanks for all the help.
After this weekend Ill take more photos and post them.

The progress will be slow after this, the house needs to be finished before i blow our extra on the TH room.
post #18 of 24 Old 07-04-08, 12:33 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Titch what drivers are you using?
post #19 of 24 Old 07-04-08, 04:33 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Titch what drivers are you using?
Trevor is runnung 4 Atlas 15's which are for sale. Now he wants to upgrade to 4 Fi IB18's. Some people are just never satisfied, right Trevor?

We're all in this together!

post #20 of 24 Old 07-05-08, 02:33 AM
Shackster
Trevor

heh You got that right.

There werent to many 18's on the market when I built my setup. Im just trying to keep up with the times. Its a never ending cycle of upgarding.

cheers

Edit: I just thought I would let you know that 2 ib18's have about the same output as 4 15's and that why I want to go with the ib18's. I just want to get 2 now and then add 2 later, cause you know 2 is never enough. Just thought I would share that with yeah.

Last edited by titch--; 07-05-08 at 02:41 AM.