(S)LLT build (or IB?) help needed... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 11 Old 07-10-08, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
daxie

(S)LLT build (or IB?) help needed...

hello,

this winter I'll be starting my HT build on my attic room...

this is how it looks like now:

It's an attic with a floor space of 4x6m. Height is about 1,1m for the straight part, and 2,20 height (when levelling the floor with the adjacent room). Thus total volume to fill is thus about 40m (or 1400 cubic feet).

The subs I have at my disposal are 2 CSS-SDX 15 drivers...

The idea is to build two (S)LLT-design subs, using the room on the left and right. Subs itself will be placed on both sides of the listening position.

However, I would require some tips on how to practically build them. I would want the fronts to be nicely integrated with the wall. Biggest problem is how to succesfully use the available space with a good design. Important to know is that the wooden planks in the attic are roof elements, so I can not cut them . The space between two verticals is about 50cm, so the css fits in between without problems. Port can go either left right or below the driver.

what would you do? Should I worry about coupling with my box and the roof elements? How about sealing of the box (except for the port of course).

thanks for your help, I hope you follow me through until the end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-10-08, 07:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Re: (S)LLT build (or IB?) help needed...

I assume you have seen this thread? I wouldn't worry about the sub coupling to the roof elements....if anything, it will just give you more rumble at the low end. As for sealing it, in Rodny's pictures it looks like he used caulk and nails to secure some ~2" x 2" strips to create a skeleton for the enclosure, then attached the MDF, plywood, drywall, OSB, or whatever material you plan on using for the exterior walls of the enclosure to these strips. You'll probably want to use liberal amounts of caulk at all of the joints.

I'll definitely be checking in on this one, good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-11-08, 11:46 AM
Senior Shackster

Is your floor concrete?

If so you have a good start on Isolating that room from the rest of the house.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-11-08, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
daxie

Quote:
SQCherokee wrote: View Post
Is your floor concrete?

If so you have a good start on Isolating that room from the rest of the house.
yes, it's concrete. I'll be definitely keeping that isolation in mind. depending on the costs it will be a full room-in-room concept... floor will definitely be floating, the rest is up to the cost
post #5 of 11 Old 07-30-08, 09:20 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Hey !!
Check your pm!

Here you can see more pics......

http://www.putfile.com/album/33728/?page=1

post #6 of 11 Old 07-31-08, 10:12 PM
Senior Shackster
mrogowski

Curious, and possibly a dumb question, but is this your house? Reason I ask is about the concrete ceiling...

And how it is curved; that's very interesting... and cool.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-01-08, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
daxie

It's my father's house, I'm renting it from him, but basically I can do what I want ...

What do you mean by curved?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-01-08, 07:48 AM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

If you look at your pics the floor looks curved not level, but I think is the way you put the pics together (stitching) thats why it looks like that!

post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-08, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
daxie

ah, yes, lol, that is indeed due to the stitching. If my floor was actually like that, I ould start worrying
post #10 of 11 Old 08-08-08, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
daxie

How would you do the floor part?

The floor is solid concrete...

Would you just screw the base plate of the sub to the floor and start building on that?
Or a base plate, with another plate on top (thus two on top?)

What about the coupling to the floor? Screwing it into the concrete is going to couple it? Will my bass not go through the entire house?

What would you do and why?

thnx

( so many things to think about, building a seperate subwoofer is much easier )