10 cu ft!! Yikes - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 15 Old 01-09-16, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: 10 cu ft!! Yikes

This is why my original question was 'if I choose a better driver can I accomplish.....' I talked to the PE rep and I don't think I am going to accomplish what I want to do with a ported driver (size restraints that I have). He suggested a Dayton Ultimax 15 in a sealed enclosure and doubling my amplifier (from 500w to 1000w). I know this will roll off sooner than ported but will the EQ be able to overcome this and get me bass response down to ~18 hz? For not alot more, I am considering just buying the Klipsch R-115SW which is ported. How would the ultimax and dayton sa1000 in a diy 3cu ft sealed box stack up against the ported klipsch for bass response below 20hz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 01-09-16, 06:30 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Getting bass response down to "X," frequency can be done with almost any driver. Its more of a question of how SPL does it produce. Chances are the Klipsch is ported up close to the design I posted earlier. SO it should do fine down to about 18/19hz then fall off a cliff. The UM15 in a sealed alignment will probably be better at midbass and below 15hz. Depends on a few variables, mainly the room. Ported verse sealed sound different to me. And ported verse sealed the ported will win near the port tuning by quite a bit.

I would use your sub in a sealed cabinet and see how you like it. If its not enough but the appropriate driver for a ported enclosure tuned to around 22hz. This will keep the external size down. BUT when trying to port closer to 17hz you need more room such as 6cuft.

EQ can help the roll off fall at a much slower rate. And in room gain and it falls even slower. At low volumes you may not be able to tell the difference in ULF. When near its max potential you will definitely tell the difference near 20hz. The Klipsch is good to about 18hz and not usable at 16hz. Thats where the UM15 would easily outperform.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-09-16, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Sounds good. I will try the sealed setup.

post #14 of 15 Old 02-18-16, 12:49 PM
Shackster

My System

What amp are you planning on using?

I have the RSS390HF with a Bash 300W amp in an 8cft ported box tuned to 15hz. If I tried the use the Bash 500W I would have exceed Xmax almost completely across the range...

Attached are the sketchup model, WinISD file and pictures showing the design and actual build
Attached Thumbnails
10 cu ft!! Yikes-bracing.jpg  

10 cu ft!! Yikes-sub-cut-sheet.jpg  

10 cu ft!! Yikes-sub.jpg  

10 cu ft!! Yikes-box-final.jpg  

10 cu ft!! Yikes-box-final-3.jpg  

Attached Files sub-design-winisd.zip (1.1 KB)  box-final-sketchup.zip (22.8 KB) 
post #15 of 15 Old 03-11-16, 01:11 PM
Shackster

Nice bracing!