How many is too many? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #11 of 31 Old 03-01-16, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew

Thanks for the really detailed response! I think I'm going to go for 8. I can always give some away if it's too much power (pretty sure that won't happen).

Last question, if there any reason to do a single 8 cuft dual sub box vs individual 4 cuft boxes stacked on each other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 03-01-16, 11:39 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: How many is too many?

Quote:
Rhuarc wrote: View Post
Last question, if there any reason to do a single 8 cuft dual sub box vs individual 4 cuft boxes stacked on each other?
Acoustically they should be equivalent if the cabinets are stable mechanically (even when stacked). Individual 4cuft boxes will be more flexible in terms of placement (8 subs vs 4 subs, stacked/side-by-side...) and easier on yourself if you need to shuffle them around. The only advantage to a 8cuft is likely a dual-opposed config to be installed in the middle of a wall. That way forces are balanced and cabinet won't move or transmit mechanical vibrations.
post #13 of 31 Old 03-01-16, 12:29 PM
Senior Shackster

A single cabinet is more efficient in terms of building, there is slightly less material involved. You still need a divider though so a double box is only saving one panel. You're saving cuts though. Two separate boxes is 14 panels with a double baffle. A single double box even with a divider is 8. Just easier to build and less edges to route. It can also look better if you're putting them beside each other.

With this example in particular, you are eliminating nearly all your cross cuts, you could just use the entire width of a 4x8 sheet of wood. Otherwise you have to cut them in half which is a pain and can introduce errors.

It may have some strength benefits as well. In basic construction techniques you have the idea of a cantilever. Consider building decks. If you have a 4' span between joists, it is stronger if you can get a long piece of wood and span multiple joists rather than cutting a bunch of 4' pieces.

It would end up looking like this, which is mine:

Last edited by MetropolisLake; 03-01-16 at 12:35 PM.

post #14 of 31 Old 03-01-16, 02:02 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Well I don't think I would recommend 8 at all. With the new 24" drivers that are out now, it seems like 1 of those would be all you need, and would be cheaper in the long run. 2 would be icing on the cake. dgage would know for sure. I would at least explore that avenue.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...subwoofer.html

Last edited by Tonto; 03-03-16 at 10:02 PM.
post #15 of 31 Old 03-01-16, 02:57 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
Well I don't think I would recommend 8 at all. With the new 24" drivers that are out now, it seems like 1 on those would be all you need, and would be cheaper in the long run. 2 would be icing on the cake. dgage would know for sure. I would at least explore that avenue.
Multiple subs will be superior due to room mode issues. I don't care how nice a single 24 is, you will have uneven response with a single sub. Four spread around the room has been proven to be the best due to room modes, and several of them that are just loafing along will have less distortion than a single one that is trying to fight through nulls.
post #16 of 31 Old 03-01-16, 03:06 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Isn't it true that placing any speaker at or near the middle of a wall in an enclosed rectangular room results in severely reduced output due to cancellation at those locations?

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #17 of 31 Old 03-01-16, 03:26 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
Isn't it true that placing any speaker at or near the middle of a wall in an enclosed rectangular room results in severely reduced output due to cancellation at those locations?
Perfectly true! I did not see that mentioned in this thread. That's only a good location if you have multiple subs . For instance the one on the middle of side wall would not excite the 1st longitudinal mode but the one on the front wall will excite it very well.
post #18 of 31 Old 03-01-16, 03:28 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
MetropolisLake wrote: View Post
Multiple subs will be superior due to room mode issues. I don't care how nice a single 24 is, you will have uneven response with a single sub. Four spread around the room has been proven to be the best due to room modes, and several of them that are just loafing along will have less distortion than a single one that is trying to fight through nulls.
With regards to the number of subs, this is a law of diminishing return. The sweet spot seems to be between 3 and 4. Everyone's room is different.
post #19 of 31 Old 03-01-16, 04:04 PM
Senior Shackster

post #20 of 31 Old 03-02-16, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew

Again, thanks everyone for the input. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards starting with 4, but running wire for 8, in case in the future I want to add more. In case I didn't mention it, this is going to be in a no-hold-barred theater, so I'm not too concerned about diminished returns as much as clean, properly EQ'd sound. Yes, I want to feel like my house is going to collapse around me when I'm watching movies, but I think I'm going to see how close 4 subs gets me to that feeling and go from there.