DIY FLH...or not? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 29 Old 03-21-16, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

DIY FLH...or not?

I have been lurking on this site for quite some time and now I am finally getting serious about setting up a home theater in my house.. I have a 12' x 17' room with 8' ceilings. The front right corner of the room opens up into a short hallway and stairs. My first thought "B" was to buy a BIC F12 for $200, put it in the front left corner and be done. Then I read ,and saw, some amazing Horn woofers and thought about using an area beside the couch to tuck a "hidden" sub away in the back left of the room "A" . I have an area of (roughly) 12" x 26" x 60" to play with. The box would be sandwiched between the couch and wall. Is this enough room to get a good sounding $300 DIY horn vs. a purchased unit? As far as complex design and construction, I have all the tools I need, access to powerful 3D design software a large plotter/printer and lots of woodworking experience. This will be used almost exclusively as a HT system. Before anyone asks, the TV is centered above a fireplace, so it cannot be repositioned. Thanks!

Edit: I'm not stuck on horns, more intrigued than anything, but strongly considering a large low tuned ported enclosure as well.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY FLH...or not?-family-room.png  

Last edited by clint357; 03-21-16 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-21-16, 12:37 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: DIY FLH...or not?

Not sure "horn subwoofer" and "hidden" can be used in the same sentence, unless you also include the word "not".

Where are you pointing the mouth of the horn? If it's up in the air I would suggest you reconsider. That alignment favors being aimed into the environment at, or least least in the general direction of, the listeners. They can be a bit sensitive to placement.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 29 Old 03-21-16, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

The mouth would have to point towards the TV. The only other option would be to make a sub in the "B" area on the picture, but I don't want anything larger than about 5cu. ft. to be in the front corner . I could also place a sub in the bottom right of the picture but I'm not sure how it would sound. I'm not really sure that space is available though. We are in the middle of a large remodel and have not decided what to do with that area.

Last edited by clint357; 03-21-16 at 12:54 PM.

post #4 of 29 Old 03-21-16, 02:41 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Given the circumstances, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to hold off on the project until the remodel is complete. That might help make some of these decisions easier.

-Jim

post #5 of 29 Old 03-21-16, 03:40 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

You could possibly build a sonosub. 12" driver in a 16" tube. Jim could be right though, if the room is upside down right now, you might be better to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 29 Old 03-21-16, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Well after reassessing the room, I don't think it is safe to put a sub anywhere other than the A and B options I have listed above. The deal with the long, narrow area is that I would like to keep the couch about a foot away from the wall and make a long table there to set drinks on while watching movies and I love the idea of utilizing that 12 cu.ft. of free space. I am now thinking that either the 12" x 26" x 60" space could fit a side-firing sub with a port in the top, but I have never heard a configuration like this so I have no idea how the acoustics would work out. If not that, then a sonotube or LLT (I think I can squeeze 6.5 cu.ft. in the front right corner).
post #7 of 29 Old 03-21-16, 07:37 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
clint357 wrote: View Post
I am now thinking that either the 12" x 26" x 60" space could fit a side-firing sub with a port in the top, but I have never heard a configuration like this so I have no idea how the acoustics would work out. If not that, then a sonotube or LLT (I think I can squeeze 6.5 cu.ft. in the front right corner).
Brian Ding, the man behind Rythmik subwoofers, was recently considering something quite similar; a sub with the port firing out the top. He determined that the orientation would not work from an audio perspective, and that's disregarding the aesthetic concerns even. There's probably a good reason no one else has done it before, and that's most likely because it wouldn't work properly or look good (just think of how many kids toys would end up at the bottom of the enclosure, not to mention a pile of dust as the years accumulate)

A sonosub has many advantages, so definitely something to consider. Most of them adhere to the LLT design, by virtue of their size, which also leads to a more efficient arrangement.

-Jim

post #8 of 29 Old 03-22-16, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Ok, thanks for the help. I am going to go with a standard LLT in the front left corner of the room built into a hidden cabinet/table. I like the sonotube idea, but they look more oabtrusive than I would like. Now comes the hardest part of the build...talking my wife into a 12 cu.ft. (or larger) "decorative piece". It will be quite a while before I start the build, but I want lots of time to research and design. I will post a build thread once the process starts. Thanks again for the pointers.
post #9 of 29 Old 03-22-16, 01:28 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Glad to offer help. What you really need is time to sell your wife a 12cuft monster!

osiris.lowe likes this.
post #10 of 29 Old 03-22-16, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Glad to offer help. What you really need is time to sell your wife a 12cuft monster!

Not going well so far.