Dual Opposed HST 18's - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 10-20-16, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Dual Opposed HST 18's

I am thinking of doing something a little different and was curious if anyone has done a DO box with HST18's? If someone has any thoughts on performance sound quality etc pretty much just wondering if there are any advantages over a 4cuft sealed box I am aware I need two 4cuft sealed but if I can get equal or better I am interested. Last question if this turns out that its a good idea can this box be stood upright using some type of legs where it could stand in a corner??
Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-20-16, 05:22 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: Dual Opposed HST 18's

The SI drivers are very popular in the DIY world and are highly regarded for their performance and SQ, so in that regard I would imagine the HST18 would work quite well for you.

I'm not entirely certain what you're referring to with the legs and standing it up, but from a general sense... subwoofers are able to accommodate variations in placement better than speakers can. With a speaker, being a few inches off center can totally change the sound profile, whereas with a subwoofer the same is often not the case.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 9 Old 10-21-16, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Let me explain it seems for the most part most DIY subs are built either sealed or ported some use 1 drvr per cabinet others 2 a lot of subs are laying horizontally and some vertical. What I am looking for and really not sure if its worth it is an enclosure with a sub on each end of the box,one firing up the other firing down. Space wise the only way it would fit is to stand it up vertically and need to have it on legs too the sub firing down can reach full excursion. It seems like a decent idea but if I can get the same or better performance from two sealed 4 cuft boxes then there is no point in going thru with the DO and that is why I am asking/

post #4 of 9 Old 10-21-16, 08:06 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

If I understand your needs correctly, the concept of that design have already been proven to work by Dave (aka Bossobass). Are you looking to build something like what he has?

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 9 Old 10-21-16, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

As a matter of fact yes I got the idea or I should say it was suggested by his son Paul. Just not sure if it would work with HST18's.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-16-16, 10:26 PM
Senior Shackster

Nick

Quote:
Cichlid109 wrote: View Post
As a matter of fact yes I got the idea or I should say it was suggested by his son Paul. Just not sure if it would work with HST18's.
Yes it will work just fine.

Electrodynamic
You can email me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
about Stereo Integrity subwoofers.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-17-16, 04:15 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Youll be musch better off using 1 HST18 with 2x 18in passive radiators ... nothing to suggest DO design has any advantage but seems to me internal resonance would be a drawback UNless you put them opposed in seperate sealed chambers... this is how I have my subs in my truck and it definitely eliminates 99% of the resonance and has a very balanced LFE output...
post #8 of 9 Old 12-17-16, 07:32 PM
Senior Shackster

Nick

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
Youll be musch better off using 1 HST18 with 2x 18in passive radiators ... nothing to suggest DO design has any advantage but seems to me internal resonance would be a drawback UNless you put them opposed in seperate sealed chambers... this is how I have my subs in my truck and it definitely eliminates 99% of the resonance and has a very balanced LFE output...
Not exactly true for multiple reasons. DO alignments all but completely eliminate internal resonances where as any PR alignment augments resonances...especially at/near the PR's tuning frequency. Not only my personal DO HST-11 setup but all other DO alignmetns with the drivers on opposite ends of the common chamber enclosure are next to perfectly vibration free. Separate chambers are not necessary and actually hinders the vibration canceling properties of a DO alignment.

Also a sealed DO alignment will play lower than a tuned PR system. Not only will it play lower overall but the roll off is smoother with less roll off per octave (12 dB/octave) below the F3 of the system compared to the more aggressive loss of output below tuning of a PR system (18 dB/octave).

Electrodynamic
You can email me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
about Stereo Integrity subwoofers.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-16-17, 10:59 AM
Shackster

My System

Been awhile the DO cabinet looks great. I decided to use vinyl wrap with a dark wood grain finish. Mistakes were made but for a first not bad. As far as sound goes this beast pounds!! What still amazes me no vibration, I can set a glass of water on top it will not move and that is with the volume at ref.
Attachments